Author Topic: Nest # 16, 17, 18, 19 - Belcarra - 2011-2012 season  (Read 60377 times)

Offline nan2945

Re: Nest # 16, 17, 18, 19 - 2011-2012 season
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
wow - great story --and fabulous work - I hope this eagle is okay - I guess we'll meet her monday

Offline Lucia

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
 :eclove
What a wonderful story, Booni! I was breathless reading events ... wow Great work! :heart
The human spirit needs places where nature has not beeing rearranged by the hand of man.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Booni!!!!!!!!!

I am so thankful for you and all people who are willing to reach deep within themselves to save wildlife. I was crying part way through the story and just praying you were able to get her.

Thank you for you!!
Rajame
:hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »

This is the report sent to me by the woman who first spotted the down Eagle.

Hi Barb, here are my photos, some are not that great, but you can pick from them. Here is what happened yesterday morning. While pouring coffee I looked out the window & noticed a disturbance in the bush beside the fence that borders the two properties. After a minute or so our eagle came walking out. My friend & I were wondering about this strange behavior, but thought she was looking for something. She kept looking up at the top of the fence. I grabbed my camera & went out & took some pictures. It wasn’t until she climbed up on the wood pile & attempted to fly up to the fence that I realized that there was something wrong. Her wings seemed to span out okay, but she didn’t get up very high. That is when I went inside to try & call some one to come & help. It took awhile as I couldn’t find any number that made sense, I even called information & that was not at all helpful. Anyways I finally thought to call a vet in Courtenay & they gave me some numbers which eventually got me to Reg from MARS, who told me he’d call you. Then of course you called me to say you would be over as soon as you could. We then watched the eagle fly (sort of) off the bank towards the water. When I went out to see where she was, I couldn’t find her, but while I was looking a hawk flew about 6 feet in front of me & another eagle came out of the trees & forced the hawk to veer off. I was amazed at all the hawks & eagles that were nearby. I searched in the area that it looked like the hawk was heading but still didn’t see our eagle. I then went back up to the cottage & got there as you were arriving. I showed you the pictures I had taken & explained what had happened, plus showed you where I thought the eagle had gotten over the mesh fence. You then went off in search of the eagle & I have to say good for you as by then I thought that she had flown away. It took you about 30 minutes but you came back to say you had found her. You loaded her into the crate & I went over to help you carry the crate back to my truck. My friend helped you cover her while I ran through the cottage to make sure we’d left everything in good shape. We then drove the eagle to Merville & met Reg at the Merville store to transfer her over to him. When Reg pulled the tarp back I was very relieved to see our eagle standing up in the cage & looking out at us, as on both ferries when I checked on her she was not even moving a little bit, & I had fears that she had died. Reg said that judging by the size of the eagle it was a she & that it looked like she’d been in a fight with another bird as she had puncture wounds on the chest. The blood had congealed so he didn’t think it was from feeding from the inside of the sea lion.His main worry is that she has some babies that need feeding & hoped to get her patched up & back to Hornby Island as soon as possible. Thank you for coming to the rescue, as we really didn’t know what to do & we were pleased to help out by transporting her to MARS. I hope this is helpful to you & thanks again. If you hear anything could you please keep me updated. Thanks again.
wooohoooo!

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
It is wonderful to get a full report like this for us! Thank you booni and the people who noticed the eagle in trouble. They persevered until they were able to reach help!  :thumbup:   Sooo glad you and wren are there to help the wild life.  :heart
beth
from California

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »

Okay, these are all the fotos taken by the woman who spotted & reported the down Eagle.
i*ve put them in an album, & they can be viewed individually, or as a Slideshow.
Click here for album.

Click here for album.

Click here for Slideshow
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »

Well, today i got a phonecall from Reg, & an e-mail from Maj.
This poor Eagle was in a sad state.
He was terribly emaciated, Reg said he probably hadn*t eaten in weeks.
He had a bad gash at the neck that had removed or severed his crop!
So he was unable to get food from his beak into his stomach.
Reg said the gash was crammed full of Sea Lion blubber, which he removed most of.
The gash was so bad that rain water probably went into his stomach through it, & this may be all he*s had for weeks.
They were hoping to sew the gash shut, & the Eagle was taken to a veterinarian, but the tissue was in such poor state that stitches would not even be held.
& without a crop, the Eagle could not live.
It is thought that this Eagle got in a battle over the Sea Lion, when it first washed up, & has been injured since then, perhaps for weeks.
Reg thought he was either a large male, or a small female.
He had no brood patch.
Due to all these things put together, this Eagle was euthanized.
Reg said we saved the poor fella from another week of suffering.
Darn.
Such a beauty, too...
wooohoooo!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
Thank you Booni. There is no question in my mind that if the Eagle could have been saved, his rescue from you and the care from MARS would have cured him right up. But, that was not to be. It is so sad that he was in that condition. Blessings to you all and may the Eagle fly free forever. :hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »
Booni, thank you for doing all that you could to help this poor eagle.  I am so overcome with sadness reading this, and I know that learning this news will have been very hard for you too.  I am glad that this eagle is no longer suffering, and this would not have been the case had you not had the courage to capture him and send him to MARS. Thanks to you and the other "angels of mercy" in our midst, all that could be done was done.
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
Oh Booni.  so so sad.   :eccry

Thank you so much for doing what had to be done to try to save him.  Which in fact, you did. You saved him from a long lingering death. You showed him courage and MARS showed him Mercy. 

Offline RMB

« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
Well said, Boodle, about the Courage and Mercy. Booni, thank you for being YOU.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »
Catching up and just read the whole story of your rescue Booni. Wonderful work - thank you for rescuing that beautiful eagle. I know the feelings around rescuing a large bird, though I have never captured an eagle (yet). Each time we do it, we learn so much and gain confidence.

I'm sad to hear the eagle did not make it, but I know he was at least able to experience the warmth and kindness of MARS before he went Home. Thank you Booni, for all that you do.  :heart :heart :heart

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
Oh Booni - such a sad ending to an inspirational story.  I feel so badly for the nice people who alerted MARS to the eagle's plight and then took her to MARS after you rescued her. I only wish all the rescue stories could have happy endings.  :ty
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline idahowa

« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »
Thank you for your efforts Booni and all who were involved.  Everyone did all they could and sometimes that just isn't enough.  :eccry
You've had an incredible learning experience.  Hugs to you.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
So terribly sad. You all did fabulously! Sometimes they are just too far gone, but your efforts were not in vain. She will no longer be miserable, frustrated, scared, and in pain.
beth
from California