Author Topic: Berkshire Bird Paradise Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens  (Read 13952 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Berkshire Bird Paradise Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »

This facility in New York State was established in 1972 by Peter Dubacher (a Vietnam era vet). Over the past 40 years, his labor of love has grown considerably.  Peter takes in permanently disabled birds and provides a safe haven for them.

Quotes from Peter:
"Everybody has a story."

"Every life is sacred."

"It's my life."

Peter in June 2011 with a 6-week-old bald eaglet

One reason to focus on this Sanctuary is that this is the new home of Mitch, a Steppe eagle that was shot in Afghanistan and rescued by US Navy SEALS.  The persistence of one woman, Barbara Chepaitis, made it possible for this eagle to be transported to the US and this safe haven. (Barbara recently published a book called "Feathers of Hope" about Peter and the Berkshire Bird sanctuary.)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3052F7ImG64" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3052F7ImG64</a>

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
Re: Berkshire Bird Paradise Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
Here are a few screencaptures from the video.  Not very crisp images, but I think they are very appealing

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Very heart warming! It's so nice their are people like Mich & all the wonderful rehabbers that give of themselves to help the critters of our world. :heart Each & everyone of them make this planet a better place to be.

Looking forward to reading Barbara Chepaitis book.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
I remember when the story about this special situation was in the news and thought how wonderful that the Navy SEALS and Barbara Chepaitis cared so much and were able to save Mitch.   :eclove

It looks as if Mitch now has a forever home with Peter at the sanctuary he runs.  There are some special people in this world.     :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 05:26:24 AM »
I've been to Berkshire Bird Paradise a couple of times - most recently last week with a friend who was visiting from California.  I'll post some photos later today.  Meanwhile, here's a link Buffalo Bob posted in chat last night about Steppe eagles.  I think Mitch must be the orientalis subspecies - he's paler than the bird in the photo in this link - more of a grey brown than a chestnut.  Though that could have been an effect of the shade cloth over his aviary.  http://www.arkive.org/steppe-eagle/aquila-nipalensis/
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
Looks like Mitch and a Bald eagle are already friends.  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
So here I am weeks later to post the pictures I took at Berkshire Bird Sanctuary.  Mitch ended up moving into a flight cage with a redtail hawk and a golden eagle.  He's quite attached to the golden.  The senior bald female at Berkshire died this summer.  I think that may have been who he was bunking with originally.  But he seems very happy with his new roommates.

Here are all three of them - Mitch in the middle
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
a few other pix of Mitch and his friends

the redtail - one bad wing - will never be released I'm afraid  

Mitch grinning at me  

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
this is one of the resident balds  - they have two or three pair - one of them breeds and they release the lets every summer.  There's a nest about two miles away held by one of the resident pairs offspring from 7 or 8 years ago.  That bird still comes to Berkshire Bird Farm and perches above his parents' aviary from time to time.  

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
there's an assortment of other birds at Berkshire.  Peter keeps loads of pigeons and doves and a lot of African ground birds - plus he raises orchids.  He also took in a bunch of roe deer and some emus when the Catskill Game Farm across the river went out of business.  Emus are hysterical looking.

for a little color, try this macaw  

or the beak on this swan  

I also like these ibis  

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »
Great pictures, Maggies!  thanks for posting them.  I just read the book about BBP - Peter is clearly a very devoted man.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Thank you Maggiesmom!  The photo of Mitch with the golden eagle is sweet   :heart
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon