Author Topic: Book Zone  (Read 19539 times)

Offline ccfan

Re: Book Zone
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
Mariedb, isn't Georgette heyer the best...I've read them all also...no one can do dialogue like her...Ive all different sorts of books but once my nose is in them garvity coould fail and I wouldn't even notice :ecwink
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
Thanks for that link, Madronna - I loved scouring the list and wondered if there is any order to the list or if it is random!
One of my favorites was missing-"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which I recently re-read.

I have recently discovered a Mystery writer whose stories take place mostly in Minnesota or Canada. The author, William Kent Krueger, lives in St. Paul. The first book is called "Iron River" and the most recent is "Northwest Angle". My favorite is "Thunder Bay". His protagonist loves the North Woods and often discusses the Native American traditions, since he is part Chippewa.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
A friend recently recommended a book by Jon Young: What the Robin Knows. It sounds wonderful, all about how birds have developed an awareness of their surroundings and can communicate that to others, even to us!!! I wondered if anyone here has read it. It apparently has a companion audio cd.

Offline linused

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
I found a book about Ravens,  in the summer, by Bernd Heinrich, "Mind of the Raven".   Sure was excited to find a book about Ravens and I have finally been able to read it.  I am finding it very interesting, but his methods are very alarming.  Wondering how reliable his findings are, when they are "controlled" experiments. These birds are very intelligent and wary of humans, it's easy to understand why it's so hard to study them.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 06:29:56 AM »
Someone posted a link to a book on Amazon.com that they found interesting on my FB page today.  I googled and found this additional info about the author. The first link is for the interview of the author, David Rothenberg, on the Diane Rehms radio broadcast.  There are a couple of links you may want to check out on the post.  The second link is for the Rothenberg website.  Very enjoyable and interesting reading there. Also, there are several audio links that were amazing to listen to and realize how musical wildlife can be.  Think that I will order this book.  Something different. (Besides this thread needs revitalizing  :eclove )

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-04-18/david-rothenberg-bug-music-how-insects-gave-us-rhythm-and-noise

And the author's site

http://www.davidrothenberg.net/

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Wonderful, Birdie!  Could be a good Father's Day gift, as well.

Oh, and I agree, this thread could use a boost!

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
Most interesting Birdie!  I love listening to the sounds of the bees buzzing on our flowering plants.  Sometimes there were so many on the Cotoneaster and Ceanothus in our yard that the sound was really amplified and could be heard some distance away.  I'm not so crazy about hearing that darned cricket chirping in our garage though ...  I never can find where it is.

Thinking of buzzing critters - I still remember how totally amazed I was when I heard a Midshipman fish 'humming' on cam, when Mom or Dad brought it to the nest.   :eceek
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams