Author Topic: Book Zone  (Read 19526 times)

Offline Sandor3

Re: Book Zone
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
A few days ago, someone talked about Ralph Edwards.  In the 1920's he was instrumental in saving the trumpeter swan from extinction.  It has been many years since I read these books.  Amazing real life!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20649332TdN6AXj4 - this is a five minute clip from a CBC documentary on Ralph Edwards

Crusoe of Lonesome Lake by Leland Stowe

Ruffles on my Longjohns by Isabel K. Edwards (Ralph Edwards wife)

Fogswamp:  Living with Swans in the Wilderness by Trudy Turner (Ralph Edwards' daughter)

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."

~Frederick Koenig
"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."    ~Frederick Koenig

"We aren't the only ones that live on the planet, but we act like it."  ~ Jane Goodall

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Nice quote Sandor!!! Thanks for that reminder.  :heart

Offline blackster1

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
Hello there,

A friend of ours lost their beloved furry companion. Another friend recommends reading, The Art of Racing in the Rain written by Garth Stein. I did a little research and wonder if anyone here also recommends the book.

Hugs and thanks,
Rajame
:hearts

Raj, Both my husband I loved this book and thought it one of the best reads in a while.  It touched every part of our being.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Oh thank you Blackster! I knew the chatters would have wisdom on this. I will send our friend the novel.

Hugs,
Rajame
:hug
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Raj, I realize that I am late in responding, but I wholeheartedly agree with Blackster - I have recommended The Art of Racing in the Rain to others, and I do believe it is a treasure.

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »
Thank you Faerie! I will let our friends know that we have another endorsement.

:hug
Rajame
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
I finally received my copy of Mike Yip's book "Denman & Hornby Nature" today.  It is full of beautiful photos taken all around both islands.  Flora and fauna of many kinds are depicted with notes detailing where most were found.  He has included many underwater species as well.  I recommend this book whether you have visited these islands or not.  It is a treasure. 

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
Jeav, thank you for letting us know that you are pleased with Mike Yip's book.  I was thinking about ordering one, also.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
Jeav, thanks for the review of Mike Yip's book. Where is it available from?
Thanks.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
Today in another topic SaharaSapphire made reference to the The Ladies # 1 Detective Agency

I thought it wwas already on the list here - but I see it isn't, so I will add it.   Some of you may have seen these words in other parts of the forum.  They form the title of Alexander McCall Smith's first book, which has become a hugely popular series, (with 13 books now and I believe that might be 14).  The name has been invoked several times over the past few years when looking or searching for an answer to an event or action.

This large series of books is authored by Alexander McCall Smith
He was born in Zimbabwe and educated there and in Scotland. He is Professor of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh and is a member of a number of national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. His books include works on medical law, criminal law and philosophy, as well as numerous books for children, collections of short stories, and novels. He has lectured at various universities in Africa, including in Botswana, where he lived for a time. He is married to an Edinburgh doctor, and has two daughters.
  http://www.mccallsmith.com/author.htm

The detective agency is located in Gaborone, the capital of Botswana.  Mma Precious Ramotswe is the agency's founder and is the protagonist and main detective. Laughter, interwoven adventures and the different characters are told as well as solving mysteries. The books follow each other so should be read in sequence.

Mma Ramotswe is known for her love of red rooibos tea (which in fact does have good health benefits). Those of you who were devotees of Pete's Pond when 'Afke' was there, will recall that she always had Red Rooibos tea.

Another series by the author is 'The 44 Scotland Street Series'  at:
 http://www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk/books/44-scotland-street/

References:
http://www.alexandermccallsmith.com/  contains information on his various series of books, characters.etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies'_Detective_Agency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motswana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tswana_people
http://goafrica.about.com/od/SouthAfricanFoodandDrink/a/rooibos-tea.htm

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:31 PM »
I enjoy Alexander McCall's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, also.   :nod2    Here is a link to the Amazon.com U.S. page that has the first book in the series. (They carry his books and you can enter his name to see the titles of the others.)

http://www.amazon.com/No-Ladies-Detective-Agency-Book/dp/1400034779/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326266201&sr=1-9  

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline SaharaSapphire

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
My favourite is the 44 Scotland Street series.  #7 in that series is coming out August 2012 in Canada, sooner in the UK.
It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before, to test your limits, to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful that the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline OpieK

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
He is a " gentle man" writer.  I have read each of his books.  Sahara, can't wait to read what's next for Bertie in the 44 Scotland Street series -- have you started the Corduroy Mansion series?  It is also quite good!

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
I have been facing the difficult task of ‘culling’ my extensive book collection.  My old ‘office’ has now become a study/library where the walls are lined with the books we just cannot part with.  It even has a faint smell of cigars on my husband’s collection of hundreds of very old German books that he inherited from his cigar-smoking father!  We have an eclectic mixture – some paperback collections of favourite authors – mine being English mystery writers like Ruth Rendell (Barbara Vine) and PD James.  In addition I have many old ‘classics’, some of which are on this list of 100 novels everyone should read (although I'm not sure too many would agree with all of them).
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 06:51:42 AM »
Oh dear! I like trashy novels ...lol pure escapism.  I have a great collection of biographies and autobigraphies but seems to have fits on different genre. I've read all of George R R Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice books to date. Steig Larsson's The Girl with the Dagon Tattoo Trilogy. Have all of Georgette Heyer Romances which I started reading at 19! Anne Rice, science fiction,even MaxBrand in my teens :-)I have had literally thousands of books over the years. A lot donated to the local libraries or passed on to friends who then pass them on. My one passion is books. Just given away my Sookie Stackhouse and Twilight books and am one of Amazon and eBays best customers. lol