Author Topic: Book Zone  (Read 20271 times)

Offline prairie

Re: Book Zone
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »
Nancy,  Re:  This Life Is In Your Hands....

I've heard about the Nearings but haven't read their books.  Going to check my library catalogue to see if the titles are available. 

Faerie, loved The Art Of Racing In The Rain and I've just finished Born To Bark by Stanley Coren and loved it too.  I've just started Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult and will post when I've finished reading it.

Happy reading everyone!!

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »
Mew, sometime ago I read 'Sarah's Key' (by Tatiana De Rosnay) based on a true event in Paris, in 1942.

I was only three when the action occurred. I was amazed to read that it was in fact the French who went door to door rounding up the Jewish families. I couldn't put the book down and certainly needed tissues at hand.

At the end of the story, knowing the author was born in the suburbs of Paris and currently lives in Paris, I did wonder if perhaps she was in fact Julia Jarmond, the journalist in the story?  I have read in newspapers that others have thought the same thing; but Mme. / Mlle. De Rosnay has denied that.

One day last week when reading the paper, I noticed that a movie had been made of the novel, with Kirsten Scott-Thomas (of 'The English Patient') portraying Julia Jarmond. The film is in French with English sub-titles.  The next day I went to see the film, at one of our very small and independent movie theatres. There were about 50 other people in the theatre (afternoon show). The movie did justice to the book and Kirsten Scott-Thomas was very good as Julia Jarmond. The other actors were unknown to me. You could have heard a pin drop in the theatre.

Tiger, thanks for starting this topic.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
BBE, we are finding out about a lot of books that will be worth reading, aren't we?!  The problem is, which one to read first!!!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Tiger, any of the too many I have sitting on my bookshelves, will be good reading!
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
Yes, BBE!  They all look good!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline OpieK

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
NancyM - I will look up more of Geraldine Brooks now that I've discovered her :-)

Offline mew

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 04:15:58 AM »
My list of "look for" next time I go to the library is growing by leaps and bounds.  :)

BBE - I've never seen a foreign film; in fact, I'm in general not a movie goer, but I'm glad Sarah's Key followed the book so closely.  It was an incredible story.  

BTW, the French involvement was an eye opener to me too. 

Offline SaharaSapphire

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
Last year I read Sarah's Key. It was incredible.  I like reading WW2 novels, usually there is a courageous fighting to survive spirit which I find inspirational.  If that makes sense.  But Sarah's Key went beyond anything I expected.  It was a book I kept afterwards, I'll read it again someday.
 Great link Tiger, thanks
It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before, to test your limits, to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful that the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline mew

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 05:37:26 AM »
"Harold,The Boy Who Became Mark Twain"

Biography

Hal Holbrook

While interesting, I found this a bit tedious to 'wade through'.   Hal Holbrook kept a record apparently of every booking throughout his career.  He and his first wife Ruby traveled back and forth across the country 9 months of the year giving a two player show of one night/day stands often before audiences of students who had no appreciation of the material being presented. He starts by detailing his early life having been raised by grandparents after his parents 'disappeared' leaving behind Hal and his two sisters and ends with the evolution of his one man Twain portrayal 450+ pages later.

I think most likely there is a second 'volume' yet to be published, as this book ends in 1959.  If one is detail oriented, this is definitely right up your alley. 

Offline mew

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 04:40:55 AM »
"Minding Frankie"

Maeve Binchy

Fiction

Anyone not familiar with this Irish author's work and her knack for creating a cast of characters you feel like you know by the end of her books is in for a treat.  I guess her books could be characterized as "beach reads" because they're meant as sheer entertainment.  Frankie is a female infant born to an unwed mother who dies at her birth, fathered by a young man (Noel) who is an alcoholic who had no recollection of what was apparently a 'lost weekend'.  He had no idea he had fathered a child until several weeks before her birth when the mother contacts him hoping to keep the child from going into foster care.  Thus begins an illustration of "it takes a village to raise a child" as family and friends all pitch in to care for Frankie to help her father maintain custody as he attempts to get his life back on track. 

Pivotal to the cast of characters is a middle-aged female American cousin who arrives to visit with Noel's parents and 'fits' into the community as if born there.  She has a knack for tactfully finding solutions to many of the problems encountered and becomes a vital force in "Minding Frankie". 

Offline prairie

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
Thank you, Mew for suggesting Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.  It was an excellent book and I enjoyed every page.  I've placed a hold at my library on
A Secret Kept by the same author.  It is a Psychological Fiction novel about brothers and sister - family secrets - the setting is in France.

One review - by turns thrilling, seductive and destructive, with a lingering effect that is bittersweet and redeeming.  A story of a modern family, the invisible ties that keep it together and the impact it has throughout life.

I'm looking forward to reading it and also to hear if anyone else has read it.

Prairie

Offline dotwad

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
a good book for adventure is "one brit ,one bike, one big country" by john mckay.about a english biker on his harley going across the states. also "travel tales of an old  retiree, his rv ,his wife and his dog". by ken halloran. a tale of a guy and his wife who travel around the states to avoid the winter.   "miles from nowhere, a round the world trip on a bicycle"by barbera savage. the story of a young couple who set out to pedal around the world. all 3 books are non fiction and easy reading.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Hello there,

A friend of ours lost their beloved furry companion. Another friend recommends reading, The Art of Racing in the Rain written by Garth Stein. I did a little research and wonder if anyone here also recommends the book.

Hugs and thanks,
Rajame
:hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline ccfan

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Goodbye Dear friend is a good one also...
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
Thanks CCFan! :hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.