Author Topic: Wild & Free Again (Texas)  (Read 61826 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: Wild & Free Again - Wildlife Rehab - Texas
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
More pictures to come!

Here is a short video of a red-tailed hawk release.  Bev wrote:  This video was recorded and then edited for the DVD by one of the landowners where the bird was found and then released. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1dF_U7zwM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1dF_U7zwM</a>

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
Beverly sent some pictures of a hawk called "Roper" because she had become entangled in some bailing twine. The folks on whose property she was found brought her to rehab in February 2011. She was released back on the property where she had been found on March 17, 2011 (a lucky day!)

Arriving at the release site

Out and up to the trees.  The landowner wrote: Roper didn't move for about ten seconds.  Then she took a step forward, paused, and flew flawlessly to a limb high in a large oak about seventy-five feet away. She remained there for a couple minutes, just surveying the area, perhaps remembering.  Then she flew on to a large tree on the banks of the creek which runs through the property.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
Love the gentle release!  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Beautiful bird!  Gentle releases are the best way!   :thumbup:   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Bev has a new owl baby and is sharing the story and pictures with us.

From  Bev's website http://www.wildandfreeagain.org :

This little Great Horned Owl was found by the public on 3/8/2012 and taken to an animal shelter.  The shelter, unfortunately, did not do anything for the baby owl until 24 hours later, when they had a shelter worker drive it 20 miles south to a vet clinic at 4pm.  The vet clinic called the me at 4:30pm and wanted me to drive the 1 hour south to pick up the baby owl.  I contacted a mammal rehabber close to the clinic who called her sister who just happened to be within 5 blocks of the clinic, shopping at the grocery store, and who agreed to pick the owl  up from the clinic and transport it to the other (mammal) rehabber.  Upon arrival, the rehabber called me and asked, "Ok, what now ?  The baby is very weak and has a very sharp keel."

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »
Bev's GHO Story Continued:

She got fluids and tiny strips of raw chicken into the baby owl and we agreed to meet when we had both finished with our evening feedings (of the wildlife AND the husband varieties).

By the time we met (she's a real champion, she met me half-way!), the baby owl had opened its eyes and was peeping.  

Back home with the baby owl, it weighed 370 grams.  I fed it a 20 gram mouse and more fluids.  After feeding another 20 gram mouse this morning, it weighs 380 grams !  Amazing what fluids and a few kcals will do for an animal !!  

(Hope you enjoy the pictures)

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »

Einstein
Oh, I'm in love with Clo! (cute little owl) And Bev too!  :heart

Thanks Nancy. I will be following along
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Clo is cute, but Bev said she is calling him Einstein  :eclove

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
I think Bev is Einstein.  :eclove  Or is that Miracle Worker? Nice turn around, hope he does fabulous and recovers well. Thanks for sharing Bev. And what a great network working together for "Einstein"  :biggrin6
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
Thank you for posting Bev's story about Einstein, the baby owl, and the darling photos, Nancy.  It was very nice to have a change to 'talk' with her recently in the chat room -- screen name = Cophabber.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Bev has another baby owl!  and some other new additions:

Bev (cophabber)  wrote:

Yesterday was blessed with several new wildlife additions.  The first one was a call from about 45 minutes away. Caller had discovered an owl down on the ground and was afraid to approach it.  She had first seen the owl sitting on the deck railing outside her back door, and when she opened her door, the owl hopped down and literally waddled over into the adjoining woods to her property.  She found me after 30 minutes of calling various State officials, and took a photo (below) so I could try to id the owl.

I drove (which I normally don’t do) over to her country home hoping that I could try to re-nest the owl.  The baby was still sitting in the exact same location as in the photo.  We scoured the woods with our chins and eyes pointing to the sky, trying to locate a tree nest or the parents without success.  The neighbor’s dogs were chomping at the bit to get over to us to “take care of” the baby owl.  After an hour, I decided to take the baby owl rather than risk it with the neighbor’s dogs.

I’m thinking of calling her “Claudia” (after the finder) and hoping that she and Einstein will be good buddies in the mews together. She’s about 2 weeks older than Einstein.

Anyone that thinks of a better name, please let me know !

I was also blessed with two new baby Eastern Grey Squirrels and two 30 gram baby opossums !  SPRING has sprung !!

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
Ahhh the picture.  :ecsmile. At least Claudia was smart enough to try and hide....

Hope she and the others do very well,
beth
from California