Author Topic: Wild & Free Again (Texas)  (Read 61825 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Wild & Free Again (Texas)
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
Wild & Free Again is a rehab facility in Lindale Texas, run by Beverly Grage.  She works on her own, and would like to have volunteers, if there are people who are interested in helping.

An Eagle is treated at Glenwood Animal Clinic in Tyler. Beverly Grage helps treats raptors and other animals at her home.
(Courtesy Photo)

AJL:  "Bev is one of the many "backyard" rehabbers working in North America.  In many places, there are not enough rehabbers to get together to build a centre they can all work from...Having to hold onto patients because there's no wild food, [or water], they'd have to be released to sure starvation."

Currently, she has 40 raptors, including a bald eagle that was shot.  Bev also is caring for many other birds and mammals that are in danger because of the high winds, lack of available food, wildfires and drought.  All of this by herself!

Newspapers are carrying the story and here is a link to one of the papers in Texas that talks about it.

Lindale Retiree Rehabilitates Eagles, Other Animals
By KENNETH DEAN
Staff Writer

The majority of funds to care for injured raptors at Beverly Grage's Wild and Free Again in Lindale come from the retiree's own pocket and sometimes even her veins.

On Friday afternoon, the former Tyler police officer walked into the Biolife Plasma Services in Tyler, rolled up her sleeve and began the process of donating plasma to raise extra money to care for a Bald Eagle that was shot earlier this week along with the 39 other raptors she houses.

The newest patient, a mature male bald eagle, was brought to her by Nacogdoches area Game Warden Sean Reneau after he was alerted to the bird found behind a subdivision near Lake Nacogdoches.

I just got him yesterday so he's in a very high-stressed situation because he's been shot, it's hot and he's not used to his surroundings, she said of the eagle.

Reneau took the eagle to Glenwood Animal Clinic in Tyler where Dr. Ann Buchanan treated the raptor for a shotgun wound to the left wing.

rest of the article >>> here http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20110827/NEWS01/110829817  (news article)

Information links:  http://www.owlpages.com/rehabilitation.php?rid=114

Bev Grage
Wild & Free Again
13446 CR 4178
Lindale, Texas, 75771
USA

Added September 23:

Bev's new website: [url=http://www.wildandfreeagain.org]http://www.wildandfreeagain.org[/url]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:14:19 AM by NancyM »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline nan2945

Re: Wild & Free Again - Wildlife Rehab - Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
check sent - but Texas is not on my itinerary any time soon = wish.......

Offline muttley

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
Hi Tiger~    Is the town not LINDALE?
sorry...picky picky picky

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
fixed Muttley, TY. :ecsmile

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
Bev sounds like an amazing woman! I believe that she is the rehabber who raised an 11-gram opossum this past summer - AJL  contributed a formula and named him "Harlan"  - the smallest opossum baby ever to be nurtured through such delicate stages.

Offline idahowa

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Check's in the mail tomorrow.  I wish I knew someone in Texas who could be there to help.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:41 PM »
Boozhoo....  I had a wonderful chat with Bev Grage tonight, and even convinced her to come in to chat and say hi!!  She signed in as cophabber, and enjoyed her brief chat, even if we did talk super fast!!  Bev told me that right now the top three items on her wish list are

1. Volunteers
2. Money
3. Cages

The volunteers AND the money are primarily to build the cages!!  

As of today, (9-06-11) Bev is housing 36 Birds of prey:
5 black vultures, 5 Great Horned Owls, 7 red shoulder hawks, 8 red tailed hawks, 3 American kestrals, 4 barred owls, 2 turkey vultures, 2 bald eagles, and lots of squirrels, and other critters!  And Bev is doing all of the care and feeding ALL BY HERSELF!!!!!!!!

AJL said that Bev told her that squirrels are nesting and the mothers are tossing starving babies onto the ground. (And she's getting them). The other day when the storm was blowing through they got high winds, so more babies blown out of their nests.

It is time for all of you helping hearts...to rally behind WILD and FREE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Bev is going to be putting together a paypal account and will contact me with the information on how to access that within the next couple of days.  I will post that information here as soon as it is known.

Information links:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20110827/NEWS01/110829817  (news article)

http://www.owlpages.com/rehabilitation.php?rid=114

Wild and Free is a 501 3 (c) non-profit organization.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:06:18 PM by NancyM »
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
Mishi, thank you for the additional information!  It's very helpful to see more of the picture there.  Anything we can do will be wonderful.   :heart

It isn't every day that someone gets at least 100 new friends!   :eclol
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BuffaloBob

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
It's in the mail.
My mission in life is to eat bacon with every meal. Not as easy as it sounds...

Offline ccfan

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Bev sounds like an amazing woman! I believe that she is the rehabber who raised an 11-gram opossum this past summer - AJL  contributed a formula and named him "Harlan"  - the smallest opossum baby ever to be nurtured through such delicate stages.

Nancy, you are correct...AJL asked her to give Harlan a kiss for her.  AMAZING AJL mentioned the rehab and equally AMAZING MISHI went into immediate action and was talking to Bev before any of us could say "Oh no!"
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
What a wonderful group of people we have under our umbrella. !  Your hearts are so full of love.  :eclove

Not everyone is near to volunteer, and not everyone can donate. But all of us can pass the word along....
 :eclove
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:09 AM »
Now, don't let my post damper the enthusiasm.   Carry on...  :biggrin6. This woman is fantastic and should definitely be supported in any way we can.  :thumbup: :biggrin6
beth
from California

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
Check is in the mail - what an amazing woman and an amazing story.  Thank you AJL for bringing this to our attention and Mishi for jumping in and letting us know what needs to be done.     :heart

Offline wings2fly

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
 My check is in the mail today!!!  What a truly remarkable woman..I wish I lived near enough to help..I will keep up with her work and encourage others I know to do the same...thanks AJL and all for bringing her work to our chat and forum...what a remarkable group of people we have here

Offline idahowa

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »
Has anyone written to Boy Scouts, schools or other local groups for help?  It might be helpful to know who has been contacted.