Author Topic: Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center (Maine)  (Read 131481 times)

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »
Oh my, gze, this is absolutely gorgeous photography and wonderful reading! You are so lucky to be able to share in this center's care for wildlife. I am at work and only got thru the first 13 pages but just loved the owls and especially the photos.  :heart I will read the rest on my lunch break. I found the photo from under the perch of the 2 little owlets adorable. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. What a wonderful place to volunteer. I am glad to hear the residency count is down. To me, that is a good thing (I think)

Offline ccfan

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Thank you for sharing Gze...how spcial for you to help there...and receive your first poop shot :eclove
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
Birdvoyer, wait till you see the bitterns! Yes, I feel so fortunate to be able to work with these wonderful people and these amazing birds. And yes, it is a good thing that our numbers are down - all those youngsters, hundreds of them, back to the wild where they belong.

Ccfan, thanks, I love sharing what I'm doing ...

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »
I love that you do it. :ecsmile Great photos.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »
New Slide Show from Avian Haven! Meet some of our interesting water birds from this year - Redhead, Red-Necked Grebe, Common Loon and Great Shearwaters:

http://avianhaven.org/WaterBirds2011.pdf

So many waterbirds this year! We hope to begin construction on a desperately needed "Pool House" in the Spring. You'll see the plans at the end of the slide show.

Enjoy these beauties!

Offline gzebear

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:11 AM »
Since I began working at Avian Haven in May, I have kept a log of my time, miles and adventures in rehab and bird rescue. A few weeks ago, at six months, I added it all up: 5000 miles, 800 hours, 35 rescues and only 3 'wild goose chases'.  :nod2

I hope someday I have more time to share here what I've learned and the amazing experiences I have had with birds. These have certainly been some of the best days of my life. My most adventuresome rescue was a Great Blue Heron in the middle of the night. My biggest frustration was attempting to capture a turkey with an injured leg - but her wings worked great. In addition to many soft releases at Avian Haven, I have done some very special returns to the wild (including a juvenile bald eagle!). One that will always stay with me was the adult male cardinal who had flown into a window. He stayed with us for about ten days while his shoulder healed, then I returned him to the place where he was found. Hardly a chirp from him while in captivity but the moment he was released, he flew to the nearest tree and sang and sang: I'm here ... here! Such joy!

My latest heart-burst has been hand-feeding a tiny Saw-whet Owl. She is now eating on her own but for a few days, my time with her was nothin' but love and awe for this beautiful creature. We have also had several car-struck Barred Owls brought in recently. I just love the owls. Or perhaps more accurately, I love the way I feel when I am in their presence. They're just ... so ... awesome!

I hope that everyone takes a few minutes to check out Avian Haven's beautiful website: www.avianhaven.org. There are so many wonderful photographs (not referring to the ones of me!) and interesting case studies. And please consider Avian Haven in your year-end contributions. As a nonprofit organization, Avian Haven is entirely funded by grants and donations. This means that in addition to thinking about and caring for hundreds of birds (1300 annually), finding volunteers to transport them as well as mop floors and cut up fruit, we also need to set aside time for the daunting task of fund-raising. It is one thing to write a grant proposal for a new flight cage but everyday operating expenses are primarily dependent on donations from people like us. There is information on the website for making donations. Thanks everyone, for helping in any way you can. Now, back to the cage-cleaning ...

Offline joyofdogs

• Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »
(((((Gze))))  What wonderful adventures you are having AND you are saving birds at the same time.  I love your descriptions. I can feel the soft owl feathers and hear that cardinal declaring his freedom.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.  Keep us posted.  Love Joy
'Material things can't make the soul whole;
only love, trust, and a community of friends can do that.' ~ moi

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »
Oh gze what wonderful work you are doing.  Your descriptions make it real and are full of the love and admiration you have for the birds.  Thank you for sharing your adventures and your thoughts.  You are making a difference!!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Gze,

You and your work are truly a labor of love and inspirational. Who knew that your life would be enhanced so profoundly by the work of rehabbing.

I have always thought that you were extraordinary and this story proves it!!

:hug
Rajame
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Gze:oh what fabulous adventures you have been part of! Thanks so much for sharing. And we are sooo proud of you doing this volunteer work! Way to go!

:biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »
(((((Gzebear))))) your post warms my heart!  What a wonderful way to help wildlife...thank you for your dedication and all that you are doing.  It really brings back rewards to you, too, by seeing the good results!   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gzebear

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
It’s early March and we are near the end of a (so-far) very mild winter. This has meant, among other things, fewer Barred Owls injured while hunting along roadsides. Last winter, oh so many owls. Right now, we only have 7, including our two surrogates Oscar and Emma. A rehabber called me “one of the Barred Owl people”, and that I am! I love these birds. They are quiet and peaceful, easy to feed and work around.

We have had quite a few Bald Eagles this winter. Two juvies that came in with lead poisoning, another ‘island girl’ hit by a car while eating road-kill, an adult female with foot injuries sustained in combat, another adult female who nearly died from some kind of poison, a few others. Eagles are all so different – some are outrageously wild and fly into the wall when anyone comes near, others more curious and just keep their distance and watch. With a special place in my heart for them, I love to observe their similarities and differences. It makes me wonder about a range of intelligence in a species, if some eagles are just ‘smarter’ than others.

One of our resident eagles is Bart, who is a retired education bird. This year he is turning 30 and we’re having a party for him (not that he cares). He deserves a celebration – he’s had a long and colorful history, part of which was to help bring back the eagles in Maine – he’s probably visited every school in the state. I’ll share more about Bart as we get closer to the celebration of his life. I spend some time every week with Bart, delivering food, cleaning his enclosure, etc. It took awhile for him to adjust to a new person, but we are ‘friends’ now. At least he doesn’t charge at me anymore!

I’m a little late with this end-of-year 2011 photo gallery, but I think you will still enjoy these:

http://www.avianhaven.org/Photo_Highlights_and_Thanks_2011.pdf

(those are MY Cedar Waxwings, by the way – I loved bringing them fresh berries!)

xoxo, gze

Offline ccfan

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
Love your reports Gze :eclove
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
I am awe struck looking through your slide presentations again. :wub
beth
from California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
Thank you, gze, for your update. I always love your reports and the center's wonderful "newsletters". Once again, the Bittern has captured my heart.  :heart  All of the photos are lovely.