Author Topic: Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center (Maine)  (Read 119159 times)

Offline gzebear

Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center (Maine)
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
I would like to introduce you all to the wonderful rehab center where I have been working three or four days a week since May. Itís called Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center, and is located in Freedom, Maine, about an hour inland from my home on the coast. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.avianhaven.org

Check the Species Gallery tab for some beautiful photographs, and the Dedicated Facilities to get a picture of where I spend some of my best days ever. Their website is as lovely as the facility itself, and the people there are some of the most knowledgeable and caring people I have ever met. I love being a part of this wonderful place.  

We care for all kinds of birds at Avian Haven, everything from hummingbirds and tiny chipping sparrows to ravens, owls and of course bald eagles! I started out as a volunteer driver, transporting injured or orphaned birds, but very soon joined the summer staff. All of the professional rehabbers at Avian Haven are very generous with their knowledge and experience. Every day I learn so much!

The heartbreaks were hard for me at first. But the success stories help to ease those difficult times when precious birds donít make it. A few weeks ago, I returned a mis-fledged crow to her joyful family. I have sent many songbirds off into the blue summer sky. This past week, I released a juvenile herring gull I had picked up in early August with a foot injury and soiled feathers Ė it was immediately greeted by an adult gull. A few nights ago, I was thrilled to offer a fully-recovered adult barred owl back to the woods where I had found him with a head injury.

There is not a day goes by that I donít think of the gift I have been given by Mom and Dad Hornby who taught me that wild birds have very real and sacred lives. My gratitude to them and to all who have made this experience possible is beyond what I can put into words. But thank you all - Doug and Sheila, HEG, AJL, Booni, Wren, everyone - from the bottom of my heart.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:07:05 AM by NancyM »

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Avian Haven
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
GZEbear, what a beautiful facility! It always is so reassuring to see that there are such places available to help some of the injured wildlife and birds. Unfortunately, many do not find their way to places like this. But, I prefer to look with optimism and hope. Thank you for being a part of this lovely rehab and giving of yourself to help these beatiful creatures back to their normal lives. Ambassadores, Mom and Dad Hornby, have touched many lives in many good ways and I will be forever grateful to those who continue to share their knowledge, experiences and love of wildlife.

I laughed out loud at the the pictures of the hatchling and fledgling Bittern. I had never seen one at this age and found them soooo comically cute.
 :wub  

Both photos taken by Bob Brooks
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Avian Haven
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
Gzebear,

I knew you were remarkable even before Finding out that you are volunteering and have seen this magnificent work of rehabbing in action is marvelous!  :ty :hug

Big hugs to you and all the group at Avian Haven.  :tyTruly remarkable work!!

Rajame
:hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Avian Haven
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Copied pic from Avian Haven Merlin nestling. :heart Ty Gzebear.

photo by Amy Campbell

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
(((((Gzebear))))) Thank you for telling about this wonderful place.  I'm looking forward to seeing and learning more about the birds and what the center does to care for them.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline ccfan

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
Gze :heart
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline basenjimom

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »
Oh Gze, I meant to reply earlier.  Sorry I'm so late.  This looks like a wonderful place.  :heart  I spent hours looking at pictures and past stories.  Please post some personal stories when you get a chance. 

For all of you new to this thread, here's a great place to start @ Avian Haven's site, the story of "Feisty".  It's a PDF file so be patient and let it load.  http://www.avianhaven.org/ahs2011_feistys_story.pdf    This is a wonderful story of yet again another rehab that not only rescued, but kept the loyal followers in touch. 

When you're done there, please read here...  http://www.avianhaven.org/benedicta.html   Avian Haven's flight cage was  named after their beloved Benedicta, a 4 year old Baldie.   :heart

Thank you GZE!! :kiss*  :hug   ( big smooch and hug )

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
Basenji, thank you for sharing the story of Benedicta.  It's beautiful.  Her friends at Avian Haven gave her the very best care that they could.  :heart

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Stokes

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
Wow, thank you for sharing these stories. I am totally amazed, a state of wonder. Thank you.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
An article in this morning's paper about a recent arrival at Avian Haven:

http://knox.villagesoup.com/news/story/camden-officer-rescues-hawk-from-roadside/442006?cid=58472

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
There is so much good work with wildlife going on.  That officer seemed to know how to capture the hawk.  I hope it didn't have internal injures, too.  Feisty is a good sign.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »
Glori Berry is another great photographer of wildlife. She is a volunteer at Avian Haven so many of her photos are of the birds there. Here are some of her wonderful pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gloriousbirds

my current loves, the cedar waxwings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gloriousbirds/sets/72157629060425913/

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:57:16 AM by gzebear »

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
Thanks Gze, I like her copyright mark. Nice slide show of the cedar waxwings.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
That is a neat copymark. 7 chicks for the cedar waxwings. That's a large clutch. By the way, it is nice to see a berry being fed instead of meat.  :ecwink
beth
from California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »

The activity level at Avian Haven has changed considerably since May when I began working there. It is so quiet now - most of the ICUs are empty, many small net cages quiet. We have only a few late nestlings - waxwings, goldfinches, yellow-throated warblers, doves, pigeons - the rest are injured juvies and adults, those who will be wintering over to moult new feathers, and a few resident birds. After spending most of my days in the infirmary this summer caring for orphaned hatchlings, I now have more time for those in the larger outdoor flight cages. I love learning more about all the birds - their unique habits, likes and dislikes, species-specific issues - and how to care for the sick and injured. And I love seeing what the changing seasons mean to wild bird rehab centers.

Diane has just put together a wonderful 'slide show' of some of the birds I have helped care for this summer:

http://www.avianhaven.org/SomeOfTheKids2011.pdf

Please make special note of the Skowhegan ospreys because it was one of those hatchlings that gifted me with my first direct-hit poop shot!