Author Topic: Safari Drives Part 2 - Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011  (Read 141835 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Djuma Game Safaris ~ Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
On WildEarth Drive topic, I had made two posts with all the blogs from Tara related to (1) Karula and her family tree, and (2) her latest cubs Xivindzi and Xivambalana.  

I have copied and pasted the two posts into one and placed them in this topic as Reply 2 on the first page  http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=879.msg69764#msg69764

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011 afternoon drive.

From other members on DPGR pages, with many thanks.

Mum Hyena at the den where several young ones including 'Teddy' were playing.

Sept. 13 Mum Hyena 

Teddy

Sept. 13 Afternoon - Teddy 

And right at the end of the drive a sleeping Karula

Sept. 13 afternoon ~ Karula

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:52 AM »
Wednesday Sept. 13, 2011 ~ Morning Drive (CAT) with Marc, Seb on camera and Tara in FC.

The drives have been a little quiet, but decided to pop over to Africa and see what might be about.  Wow, I was sure glad I did, it was quite the show for first two hour, then I left  (I have read that Marc found some buffalos).

A beautiful Acacia tree, with some dark red / scarlet flowers in it and a Crested Barbet.

Acacia tree by BBE2009

Flowers on tree by BBE2009

Crested Barbet by BBE2009

A few minutes later a bird in a tree, which had caught something.  Then it left as four Long-tailed (Magpie) Shrikes came and perched on the tree. The bird dropped its snack, which was a mouse0 and flew away. The bird was a Shikra (also known as 'Little-banded Goshawk).

A Shikra

Shikra, aka 'Little-banded Goshawk' by BBE2009

Shikra with one of the Long-tailed (Magpie) Shrikes

Shikra and Longtailed Shrike by BBE2009

More to come  :nod2

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 12:21:18 AM »
Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011 afternoon drive ~ Part 2

We rounded a corner and there were two female ellies each with a youngster. They were hard to see as the trees are now naked, so the ellies don't stand out so well.

Female ellie by BBE2009

Two females and two youngsters by BBE2009

Then we came across a bull ellie was majorly in musth and not happy. he two was on the move and hidden behind bushes at some points. Here he is by Treehouse Dam. And the second picture about 20 minutes later. You can see his temporal glands are wet.

Ellie Bull at dam by BBE2009

Bull ellie at dam by BBE2009

The two females and their offspring were heading off to the dam for a drink. Marc thought there might be more about too.

More > > > >

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »
Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011 afternoon drive ~ Part 3

Well, a dazzle of zebras (7 or 8) where cautiously approaching the dam., keeping an eye on the bull ellie. And - - - there were many elephants also approaching it.

Zebra by BBE2009

The zebra on the far left is possibly pregnant?

Zebra by BBE2009

And the ellies came out of the trees and down the slope to the water. More and more of them. Marc said at least 4 families in the herd and I think he said 36, I gave up counting.  Happy, happy  :wub

A family of three.

One ellie family by BBE2009

Long range view.  It was hard to get many photos of the breeding herd as the bull ellie was close to the ganda on the opposite side of the dam, and blocked the view..

Ellies at dam by BBE2009

Seb managed a closer view when the bull ellie deigned to move.  :eclol

Ellies at dam by BBE2009

Don't go away yet  - more  :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »
Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011 afternoon drive ~ Part 4

You can see why it was difficult for Seb to take photos. Marc couldn't move forward or backward as the ellie was either in front of or behind the ganda.  :eclol

A late comer to the dam was this young male

Ellie late comer, young male by BBE2009

Once he had had a quick drink, he followed the others, who all had left via the left of the photos, and crossed the bank behind the bull ellie and off into into the bush.

Thanks Mr. ellie for the great view  :eclol :ecrolleyes

Bull ellies feet by BBE2009

Marc and Seb left the ellie and so did I.

VIDEOS x 2

When we were with the bull ellie, he was not a happy camper - likely due to overload of testosterone. He pushed over a tree in order to get the leaves / blooms at the top of it.  Marc also wondered if he had a sore tooth and the bark might ease it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUEMTdyFeM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUEMTdyFeM</a>

This one is of the breeding herd of elephants arriving.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAy_CBX49F8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAy_CBX49F8</a>

Near the beginning of the second video Marc said "This is going to be fantastic" and it was  :thumbup: :eclove

:offtobed

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
As good as her word, today Tara added blog to Karula's family tree ~ about Induna, HERE.

I have added it to the list in Reply #2.   :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
Sunday Sept. 18, 2011 ~ Morning Drive (CAT)

Tara was driving, Seb on the camera and Marc in FC.

I tuned in almost an hour late; but the drive was only just under way as internet connection issues with Hoedspruit (where feed comes from).

And we had Xivindzi and Xivambalana (aka MC / Male cub) in a tree. Karula was on the ground nearby (who we never actually saw) as was a hyena.  Feed and picture very choppy, so not many photos.

Xivindzi (on upper branch) and Xivambalana (on lower branch)

Sept. 18 at 7:09 am Leopards (1) by BBE2009

Sept. 18 at 7:09 am ~ Leopards (2) by BBE2009

Xivambalana decides he wants to follow Mom, but there is a hyena down on the ground. Oh well, I'll try it.

Sept. 18 at 7:09 am ~ Leopards (2) by BBE2009

Tara left, as both cubs followed Mom who had gone off into the bush with them.

The we spotted 'Floppy-ears', not near her usual home. Tara followed her for a few minutes, but FE didn't lead us to a new den.

Sept. 18 at 7:47 am ~ Floppy-ears (Hyena) by BBE2009

I left at that point as Tara was doing her 'name the track' quiz.  And then she was with the Gowrie Gang (Baboons).

:eclove

Tara has updated her original blog re Karula and placed it on the Djuma website at Update Part 1 of 3 re Karula. I added it to Reply #2 list.
I am wondering if she is slowly going to move all her blogs re Karula and her family there, as WE no longer the broadcaster. ??

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »
Sunday Sept. 18, 2011 CAT

Tara has posted a blog about Floppy-ears and our favourite leopards.  There has been some discussion since the drives started up on Djuma, as to whether something had happened to Floppy-ears. as she hadn't been seen. Tara is quite sure that it is Floppy-ears we are seeing and states why.
http://www.djuma.com/2011/floppy-ear-invites-her-self-to-breakfast/

For whatever reason, the Monday morning drive CAT is going to be at 9:30 a.m. CAT (instead of 6 a.m.) I am not too sure why, as the post on DPGR page on FB simply says
Tomorrow, Monday 19 Sept, our morning safari will be starting at 09h30. This is a once off occurrence and tomorrow's PM safari will continue as normal, battery capacities withstanding. As from Tuesday's AM drive, we return to the usual 06h00 CAT AM drive.

No-one is too sure how long the drive will last etc.  'Issues' with feed have been occurring.

It will be interesting to see how many North American viewers tune in, as the N.A. times for the drive will be:

Eastern - 03:30 a.m. Mon.
central - 02:30 a.m. Mon.
Mountain - 01:30 a.m. Mon. and
Pacific - 12:30 a.m. Mon.

I for one won't be there, as I will be :offtobed before that.  :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »
Monday September 19, 2011 ~ Special Morning Drive

It turns out that this 60 minute drive, which started at 09:30 a.m. CAT was done for a group of important people who are at a meeting in Johannesburg. Apparently they are very interested in what Djuma and WildEarth are doing. Maybe some funding available ?

Marc was presenting, Seb was on camera and Tara was in FC. As it was 09:30 a.m. it was quite warm.

And before you ask, no I did not stay up to watch it. I gather they had a good drive with ellies, giraffes. hippo (s), zebra and impalas.  They were lucky, as when it gets warm, the animals usually seek the shade.

Video of the drive by callumsnona.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSK2xZMVPM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSK2xZMVPM</a>

Photo by Kathy Woolwine Lambert
Area to watch is circled in red, where large section of tree falls. White arrow pointing to the section as it is falling.

Fallen tree by Kathy Woolwine Lambert  

To see it happen:
  • Open waterhole cam at  http://www.djuma.com/djuma-waterhole/
  • When show starts click on archives (above video)
  • Click on recent.
  • Look for title 'part of tree fals', and
  • Click on the "watch" button.

Someone reported on DPGR's FB page that the big leopard 'Mufufunyane' killed and ate Ntima's 2 cubs today. On Tara's FB page someone else asked if MuffDaddy had been seen killing them or just eating.

Subsequent post by Tara
just found out Mufuf was seen eating only, Ntima was seen dragging the other cub away but it was already dead. The cubs were seen alive by the guide on foot as far as I know, but when he returned Mufu was there. Will try and find out more details. the guide is coming over for the fireside chat on Thursday it might be an opportunity for us to chat with him about it.

:ecsad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:41:45 PM by passerine »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »
Tuesday Sept. 20, 2011 ~ Morning Drive CAT

Marc presenting, Tara on camera and Seb back in FC. A lot of freeze and stop to start with, improved and then they shut drive down about an hour before it was due to finish as the 'inverter' was acting up. Alex has come for a stint at Djuma and hopefully will be able to do some fixing.  Tara is getting a cold. A couple of mornings ago she was on cam with Seb driving and it was really cold and windy. She even sat in the passenger seat for a spell to get warm.

Right off the top and until the drive finished it was all about a herd of ellies at a drinking hole just off the road. This was a relatively new one. I was waiting for an ellies to get a trunkful of water and throw it at Marc, as one did before when Pieter and Leischen were still at WE (and they were also on the receiving end of a spray once).

I left after about an hour, when Marc did to see if he could find some lions that the guides were chatting about.  However the lions crossed over to out of bounds. Marc went back to the ellies, and I started work on many photos.

There was one youngster who was an absolute hoot.  :rotf1  

I selected 15 of my photos and have put them into a slide-show. I hope this works as it is only about the 3rd one I have done. They should (fingers crossed) be in correct order and show the time and title.

Slide-show
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44598433@N07/sets/72157627710825682/show/

And I made two videos, (1) of the youngster who was so funny and (2) of two even younger ones. The littlest of which was in the drinking hole, when a slightly older one came along and decided the hole was his. Too funny, and I think you will hear my two comments.  :eclol

Time with the funny ellie
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abzZb6HYENA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abzZb6HYENA</a>

Two little ellies tussle over drinking hole

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1g14kQsKk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1g14kQsKk</a>

Apparently Graham was at the meeting in Jo'burg, so my guess is that it had to do with funding.

I was in ellie heaven, so enjoy,  :eclol

:offtobed

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:52 AM »
Wonderful videos and slide show of the ellies!  I kept laughing at how the littlest ellie held his own in the waterhole when the other baby kept trying to push him out!   :eclol

Sad about the leopard cubs that were killed by Muf Daddy, if he was the one that did it.  Life is hard in the wild at times.
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
The two youngsters at the water hole were fun to watch. The other video of the youngster interested in the vehichle was cute.  

Marc was SO annoying, talking about what guides were saying elsewhere, while we had the cute calf to talk about, while it was happening. ( its like there are two birds, one in your hand, and one in the bush. And your attention and speech are about the one in the bush  :sad )
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »
My memory is often faulty, but it seems one year that Pieter went out and dug waterholes for the animals. The dam was really dry. I don't know if it was the same year or not, but one of the guides saved some fish from the mostly dried up main waterhole/dam. Rexon I think.

Are there two big waterholes that were seen on WE drives? It seems like it, but I never got my bearings of which one was which.  :mhihi
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Tigerlady, re Muffdaddy and Ntimba's cubs.  Ntimba was seen carrying on cub away - which was dead. Muffdaddy was seen (by a guide) eating one; but whether he killed them or not is the question.  This Thurs. morning OUR TIME, about 10 a.m.,   after the afternoon drive there is to be a Fireside Chat. Tara said it would be a great opportunity to ask the guide about the vent and get the facts.

Beth and Tiger, the ellies we saw on the morning drive were at a 'drinking' hole. The drinking holes are usually created by ellies, or humans may start one for them. They use their trunk to dig through the soil to reach clean water for drinking. They do this particularly when the waterholes or dams are drying up.

Both this morning's fun and on the two drives (almost two 2 years ago) within days of each other both Marc and then Pieter and Lieschen were sprayed by an ellie with water from a 'drinking' hole by a road.  In fact in the footage of the P & L episode we saw the ellie digging a drinking hole, and started another one.  Unfortunately my videos of this events were saved from the days of when we could make and save and post 'hotspots' from WE drives. I have about 28 pages of hotspots from the old WE that now are redundant.  :mgritted

My mind comes and goes, but I don't recall a guide bringing fish from a waterhole / dam for the animals  :really

What Is a Water Hole? from  http://www.janekurtz.com/books/aboutwaterholes.html
During the wet season, a low point in the ground fills with water, providing water for the animals and birds of the area. The size of the low point determines the size of the water hole. Tiny animals might drink from holes made with the impression of an elephant's foot. Some holes might be just a few feet wide, others several dozen feet across. These water holes are filled with rains. Other water holes are always filled. These are the holes that are as big as a pond or even a small lake and are fed by an underground spring.

On Djuma there are dams - Gowrie, Treehouse and Twin Dams.  We have also seen 'waterholes' made as a result of heavy rains.

Nkorho pan and Mashatu are both watering holes.