Author Topic: Safari Drives Part 2 - Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011  (Read 138713 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Safari Drives Part 2 - Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
DJUMA GAME SAFARIS ~ Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011

This topic is for posting and discussing the sights seen on the game safaris brought to us live from the Djuma Private Game Reserve, in South Africa.

Djuma Private Game Reserve, where the big five roam, is situated in the famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve which is in the lower section of the famous Kruger National Park (KNP).  

Map of Sabi Sand Game Reserve which shows Djuma's Vuyatela Lodge (top right)

Map of Sabi Sand Game Reserve by BBE2009, on Flickr

The country of South Africa (SA) is bordered by the countries of Namibia, Botswana (home of Pete's Pond in Mashatu area), Zimbabwe and Mozambique.  SA is comprised of nine provinces (in bold type).

Clickable image:

Provinces of South Africa by BBE2009, on Flickr

Location of Kruger National Park within the country of South Africa. (Green on right upper side of the map).  I have no idea what the red arrow is for  :puzzled2
Clickable image:

SA showing KNP by BBE2009, on Flickr

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Some background information about the advent of Djuma Game Safaris after the Wildearth Safari Drives were discontinued.
1. Jurie and Pippa Moolman started the reserve almost twenty years ago as a safari lodge (Vuyatela), which is now renowned for the quality of its game safaris.   Vuyatela Lodge, is the lodge on the other side of Gowrie Dam, which was visible when watching the 'WildEarth (WE) Safari Drives' ( http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=44.0).  The lodge is still occasionally visible from the Djuma Waterhole camera

2. July 15, 2011, it was announced that the WildEarth (WE) live game drives were to be discontinued. Technical and monetary issues related to various areas of the broadcast and its distribution prevented WE from generating sufficient revenue to cover their running costs.

3. July 27, 2011
  • Peter Braat (WE) wrote in this blog Djuma saves the safari drives!
    With this lifeline that Djuma has provided, it is up to us (WildEarth and its viewers) together with Djuma, to find ways to make this work and generate at least enough revenue to bring Djuma's cost within its allocated budget.
  • Jurie and Pippa Moolman owners/ operators of the Djuma Private Game Reserve announced that they were stepping in to
    operate the drives as cost-effectively as it can, and you the audience help us increase traffic to our two cameras (Djuma Waterhole cam and Djuma Safari cam) so that we can apply the income from them to the operating expenses associated with these cams; this is the only way we will ever be able to save and make these cameras sustainable. We are very pleased that both Marc and Tara have agreed to come work for Djuma to keep bringing you these drives and will announce the third person as soon as we have final confirmation.
    Saving the safari cam.
  • The third person was Sebastien (Seb) Rombi, who had been working behind the scenes.

The plan was to re-start the drives in mid August 2011. The plan was that the drives would occur for 6 weeks out of eight; allowing the trio the same break time. To raise the funds required for this production might have included a few more commercials.  They hoped that the viewers would be able to attract / increase the number of viewers and traffic to the two cameras (Djuma Waterhole cam and Djuma Safari cam); by providing the links to people / groups we know.  HERE.

As occurred with the WildEarth Safari Drives there were two drives a day; unless weather and technical issues (with camera or 'ganda' dictated contrary. Also the very occasional Fireside Chat.

Other links:
With many thanks and good wishes to Jurie and Pippa Moolman and all at DPGR and WE involved for setting up and conducting the drives.

All images posted in this topic are ©Djuma Private Game Reserve and WildEarth.tv

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Further updates related to Juri Moolman at Djuma Private Game Reserve taking over the drives for a three moonth trial period.

August 9, 2011 from Graham Wallington Safaris are coming back next week. Hopefully, the live safari drives from Djuma will be back on WildEarth at 06:30 .am. (CAT) on August 17th, 2011. Graham:
  • Used the word 'hopefully' as there are some things "that are not in our direct control (e.g. the radio network from Djuma to Hoedspruit) that has to be finalised before then."
  • Also aknowledged "Djuma very kindly, and very courageously, stepped up and has agreed to cover the costs of operating these safaris for 3 months, in order to give us all an opportunity to make them viable."
  • Paragraph 4, (in conjunction with Jurie Moolman) spells out some ideas they have to increase viewership etc.

August 11, 2011 from Jurie Moolman:How you can help save the Djuma Safari cam

August 15, 2011 from Graham Wallington: Monday August 15, 2011 ~ New Blog from Graham Wallington at  We Need You To Help. Related to gathering people for groups to promote the site with these ideas being the top five:
  • Embedding the players in as many high traffic sites as possible.
  • Advertising the fact that these streams are available to be watched.
  • Trying to get as much press for these cams as possible.
  • Getting the safaris into more schools.
  • Selling merchandise that encourages people to visit wildearth.tv and/or djuma.com

August 18, 2011, much to the delight of drive fans around the world, the drives went live. Yipeee, Live safari cam drives !.

November 14, 2011 Safari Cam will end this month. After serious review and sadly, Jurie announced
It is with sadness we must announce that this cycle of drives will, for now at least, be the last one. At this point in time Djuma cannot afford to fund this experiment beyond the three months we committed to.This was not an easy decision to make as the safaris, and the crew, are very much a part of Djuma and we know how much they mean to all of you. But unfortunately at the moment it is impossible for us to keep them going.

• The last drive was to be the afternoon of November 24, 2011; which due to rain was cancelled.  :nod2
  • Tara and Marc were booked to leave Djuma the following morning.  After chatting with the fans from Final Control  :eclove. they changed their plans to stay for one more drive.
  • November 25, 2011 morning dawned and it was mostly sunny. The drive was 'on'.  I think the elephants, rhinos, leopards, lions, and 'Teddy' the young hyena knew there was a change coming; and stayed out of sight.  :ecsad

Links for last drive on November 25, 2011 (CAT):
1. My recording of Marc and Tara's Final Comments
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_YQEz_pZXA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_YQEz_pZXA</a>

2. Recording by 'muttuver' of the entire 3h:30 minute drive:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMmnc2YwzA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMmnc2YwzA</a>

For so many world wide, watching the live drives has been a wonderful, funny, sad, colourful and educational experience. I started watching the drives when they went live in April 2007.  The presenters, cam operators and all the crew behind the scenes have shared their great wealth of knowledge, talents and support to make the drives the success they were. Sincere thanks to Graham Wallington, Peter Braat, Jurie and Pippa Moolman, and all the folks who were presenters / cam operators/ directors in Final Control.

Some of the animals, such as elephants have major events associated with them are:
  • 'Wonky' (the old elephant), the sick elephant cow and her calf.
  • The lions, to name a few; the Mapogos, Gjima males, Majingilane Males, and the Nkuhuma, Tsalala and Styx prides
  • 'Teddy' (the hyena).
  • The leopards including White Cloth, Sandy Patch, Matimba, Mvula, Mafufunyane, and Yambilu-Jordaan.
  • And of course , Karula 'The Queen of Djuma' and the sets of twins she birthed during since 2007; (1) her girls, Saseka (Thandi) and Tingana (Shadow); (2) her boys, Mixo and Induna and lastly (3) one of each Xivindzi (F) and Xivambalana (M)

Thank you all for watching, we were privileged to watch 'life in the bush, as it is'.

P.S. The Waterhole cam at Gowrie dam will remain in operation at: http://www.djuma.com/djuma-waterhole/ And at the end of May 2012 it will be at

Update: Mar. 11. 2012 / BBE The topics related to the two series of game drives at Djuma Private Game Reserve and the camera at Pete's Pond have been moved to this new location. I have taken the liberty of deleting the information related to the specific times for game drives and the Fireside Chats and other special events which occurred.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:10:51 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Djuma Game Safaris ~ Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »
I have been away for the past 24 hours. The Djuma Drives did start Aug. 17 CAT.  But I didn't see it.

Marc presented, Becky on camera and I guess Seb was in the centre.

Matimba male lions x 2, Giraffe, and Ellies and a hornbill and other wildlife.

Two videos from the drive by 'callumsnona'.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_2nhd3U0M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_2nhd3U0M</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkBgiAIaVGU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkBgiAIaVGU</a>

:biggrin6
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »
Thursday August 18, 2011 (CAT) from Jurie Moolman at
http://www.djuma.com/2011/yippeee-live-safari-cam-drivesf/

Yippeee! Live Safari cam drives!

By Djuma on August 18, 2011in General

Hi all

I am so pleased we have live game drives again! I was missing them, and I know you all were too. Thank you for all your support and offers for help, these we will take you up on and several new forums have been created for those who want to help to make this a sustainable enterprise. For those that want to help and have not joined a forum yet, please do so. There are forums fro merchandizing, for advertising, for embedding the stream, etc

I must also take a moment here to thank all those on the ground that have made this possible, Graham, Emily and Peter have put in enormous effort and long hours and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for a tremendous effort! And then those that will actually be running the Safari Cam: Marc, Tara, Sebastien and of course Becky volunteering to stand in for Tara whilst she is away; thank you to you all for taking the leap of faith and joining us in this effort to safe this remarkable concept.

And finally, thank you to all my long suffering staff at Djuma! Without you, none of this would be possible.

Jurie

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:20 AM »
Wonderful news, BBE!  Marc, Tara and Sebastian and every viewer must be very happy!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
Friday August 19, 2011 (CAT)

I guess two tires deflated on the Thurs. morning drive (CAT).  Jurie hoped they could just bu two new tires. But then he re-thought and so there are 4 new tires on the way.

Hopefully they will all be in place in time for the Friday afternoon drive at 3:30 p.m. CAT.

There are two drives a day and I have just updated the first post with current times and links to the websites etc.

:thumbup:

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:45 PM »
From the waterhole cam on Fri. Aug. 19 (CAT)

5:51 a.m.    A misty morning, with the lights from the Lodge.
http://flic.kr/p/aekPUh

7:47 a.m   Egyptian geese floating by while another bird is calling very loudly. I am wondering if it might be an Ibis ?
http://flic.kr/p/aemXPW

7:51 a.m. A solitary hippo out for a morning swim.

Aug.19 at 7:51 am (CAT) Hippo by BBE2009, on Flickr

:offtobed

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
BBE, thank you for the updates.  I'm looking forward to watching the videos soon.   :thumbup:

Two drives a day is ambitious for such a small crew!   :nod2

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
Saturday August 20, 2011 CAT - Morning Drive at Djuma

Seb is presenting, Becky is on camera and Marc is in FC.

Seb has a very quiet voice. He is from Gabon (which is a french speaking country.  The more I listen to him, the more I am understanding him.  Like we learned when listening to Rexon.

Country of Gabon by BBE2009, on Flickr

Zebra

Aug 20 at 6:50 am CAT ~ Zebra by BBE2009, on Flickr

Then we were off to see if we could find 'La Diva' who has killed a duiker. The cubs aren't with her.

La viola, Seb found her in the bush and on the move at 7:22 a.m.

Aug 20 at 7:22 am CAT ~ La Diva Karula by BBE2009, on Flickr

And at 7:29 a.m. she is watching a steenbok.

Aug 20 at 7:29 am CAT ~ Eye on a Steenbok by BBE2009, on Flickr

And at 7:47 a.m. she was off to rest on a termite mound. Maybe looking for the cubs?

Aug 20 at 7:47 am CAT ~  on Termite Mound by BBE2009, on Flickr

:heart at 7:49 a.m. she turned her head and looked at the camera. Lovely lady  :wub

Aug 20 at 7:49 am ~ Looking to camera by BBE2009, on Flickr

And I had to leave, as I have yet to pack my overnight bag for tomorrow at Issaquah.

TTFN

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:24:20 PM »
Thurs. Aug. 23 evening (CAT) ~ Waterhole

Since my last post, due to appointments and social activities I have only popped in briefly for a drive or to the Waterhole..  Actually a few drives were cancelled due to the ganda needing new tires and something else.

About fifteen minutes ago, I thought I would check out the waterhole cam; late Thursday evening there.

What to my wondering eyes should appear but a leopard who climbed onto the lower branch of the dead tree. Moved about half down it, stopped, turned around, scaring a flock of birds from a bush and left the scene.   :eclove

Leopard either side of the tree trunk.

Aug. 25 at 10:28 p.m. Leopard by BBE2009, on Flickr

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB44d59PEKU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB44d59PEKU</a>

:wub

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
TY, BBE.  Nice to see leopards at the waterhole.  I hope this trial period with the Djuma game safaris works out well!   :eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm back from my travels.

Tigerlady, I hope that you have been able to check in on the past few drives, leopards, leopards and lions.  Leopards seen were Induna, with Karula and his new sister and brother  :eclove, Induna with Yambilu-Jordaan, Mvula and the Matimba lions (in past 24 hours).

Over the next few days I will try to get some photos for you.

Tara is back, apparently Becky is coming back on a more permanent basis?  The 'ganda' continues to exhibit some issues.

Later  :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
Wow - tuned in for the start of the Fri. Sept. 2 Morning drive from Djuma - what a lovely sight unfolded. Tara was driving and Becky was on camera.   

In a tree, (with hyenas in the wings waiting for tidbits) were handsome Induna and his dad Yambilu-Jordaan (Y-J). Tara has finally admitted that YJ is Induna and Mixo's father.

One of them had caught a nyala and were up in the tree snacking. Induna at one point decided to have a quick nap, while Y-J kept on eating.

All of a sudden a piece of the carcass fell to the ground. One hyena rushed in, followed by several others all barking - what a racket. They were running between the ganda and a Djuma Lodge vehicle being driven by Graham Cooke and several guest.  Graham, keep those long legs of yours in the vehicle.

At one point Y-J flew down from the tree and off into the bushes.

6:33 a.m. the ever handsome Induna

Handsome young Induna by BBE2009, on Flickr

6:35 a.m. Induna and Yambilu-Jordaan (on the right)

Induna and YJ by BBE2009, on Flickr

6:42 a.m. Y-J

Induna's Dad ~ Yambilu-Jordaan  by BBE2009, on Flickr

6:43 a.m.  First of many hyenas

Hyena after a piece of the kill by BBE2009, on Flickr

6:50 a.m. Induna

Induna with nyala carcass at 6:50 a.m. by BBE2009, on Flickr

One more photo and two videos in next post

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Fri. Sept. 2 Morning with Tara and Becky ~ Part 2

7:12 a.m. Induna watching from the tree

Induna with nyala carcass at 6:50 a.m. by BBE2009, on Flickr

VIDEOS

6:35 a.m. Both Leopards
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMxDwJTZ1w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMxDwJTZ1w</a>

Hyenas fighting for a piece of the carcass ~ they were flying around like crazy :nod2<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkGDc3AOq2A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkGDc3AOq2A</a>

Then I had to leave the drive.

My first drive from Djuma   :thumbup:

:offtobed

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Wow is right BBE, what a sight to see.  Seems unusual for 2 male leopards to be hanging out together and sharing a kill. Brothers would seem more likely to do so. Wonder how often this happens? So contrary to the solitary role that has been seen and taught before. Are we seeing more behaviors with the Safari cam  ( like we're learning more and more about the eagles thru nest cams)?

Is father teaching his son to hunt and protect his food? Interesting concept..
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
What a treat to see all of these great screen caps and videos, BBE!  Thank you for posting them here.  I haven't had a chance to watch the Safari cam recently, so this is the first time I was aware that Induna and Yambilu-Jordaan were in the same area, much less sharing a kill in the same tree!  Amazing!   :thumbup: