Author Topic: Sydney, Australia White-bellied Sea Eagles  (Read 92634 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Sydney, Australia White-bellied Sea Eagles
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Ahhh Blackster that is sweet. And like Nancy said, getting stronger and stronger.
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
 :wub so adorable, thanks to all for the beautiful photos.  :nod2
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline tzherself

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Good evening and welcome to the new Sydney eaglet!  I've just started learning about this beautiful bird and was given some great links by some of the great volunteers at Birds Australia.  The first shows them protecting their territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnqWNP9AA&feature=player_embedded
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnqWNP9AA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnqWNP9AA</a>

This video shows hunting one of their favorite meals, the (shudder) sea snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf240LcsPno&feature=relmfu
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf240LcsPno" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf240LcsPno</a>

Great to see this new forum on our Aussie friends!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:43:47 AM by madrona »
We're on eagle time now

Offline tzherself

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
Here is some ID information:
Mom is about 25% larger, is lighter gray in color, and as a more rounded head and neck. Her breastbone is also puffed out more.  She has a large white patch on her left shoulder blade, and a large "L" shaped patch on her right shoulder blade.  She has slightly slanted eyes, and a longer beak.  Her tail feathers are white with a few black ones in the middle.

Dad's color is a bit darker, the tip of his beak is darker, and when he is turned around he has more black tail feathers. Dad's eyes are very round, and his head is very small.  The white color along his neckline is almost a perfect line between should blades, where as mom's appear to look more "jagged".  He has a slight gray line on the shoulder blade that indents inward toward the breastbone (along the ridge of the wing).

We're on eagle time now

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
Welcome to Our Nature Zone tsherself. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it much.
Do they not like fish so much?
beth
from California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:03 PM »
Welcome tzherself thanks for info :ecsmile

Emc the mom brought a herring looking fish.

BBE, Blackster, Nancy TY...too adorable for words. :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »

Video:  New Baby Eaglet for the Australian Sea Eagles

The tiny eaglet hatched this morning.

Recorded 5 PM, local time

1st egg: 7/4
2nd egg: 7/7
1st hatch: 8/14

Haliaeetus leucogaster

With thanks and appreciation to Sea-EagleCAM/Birds Australia
Jean, California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Thank you tzherself and welcome to the Forum.

Are there ground observers for this nest also? How long have you been watching this nest?
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline tzherself

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »
Welcome tzherself thanks for info :ecsmile

Emc the mom brought a herring looking fish.

BBE, Blackster, Nancy TY...too adorable for words. :heart

Thank you tzherself and welcome to the Forum.

Are there ground observers for this nest also? How long have you been watching this nest?

Thank you all for the welcomes!  I am new to eagle watching this year.  My local news did a piece on the Decorah eagles right after the eggs were laid and gave a link to the camera.  I was in love from then on, and watched the eaglets from eggs to fledges.  They also did a piece on the Hornby family, but it was after their hatch.  I have followed them for about the last 4 months.  I just love them all, but between friends, I've become partial to E2D1 from Decorah and David from Hornby.   :heart

Knowing my days with the baldies were going fast, I started following the sea eagles at the beginning of July when the eggs were laid (yes, my names Mary and I'm an eagleholic). Scap of mum (right) and dad.  The size difference is obvious, but when in the nest, the white markings on the shoulder/wing area help me tell them apart.  

Courtesy of Sea Eagles Cam/Birds Australia

Although I've read what their diet is, I've never seen anything brought to the nest but fish (silver gulls).  This was grabbed shortly before the hatch of S1- dad brought mum breakfast.  I hope certain things on their menu never show up while I'm watching.   :pray

They are in Olympic Centre and ground observations have been given by the parks rangers, and they are visible to visitors around the Parramatta River.  I don't know that they're quite as frequent or detailed as the ones I've read from Decorah & Hornby, but there have been some good reports.

Hope this wasn't too winded.  Last scap is mum- this morning here, 9:33PM Sunday night Sydney.  Have a great day all!

We're on eagle time now

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »
tzherself!  Welcome to Our Nature Zone!  Thank you for the excellent information and photos on the sea eagles - it will be great to have your contributions here.

I have followed white headed (bald) eagle nestcams and white-tailed eagles (in Europe) - they are very similar in their behaviors.  I am looking forward to learning about the white-bellied eagles and seeing how they compare. This cam will be a real treat.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
Quote from: tzherself
(yes, my names Mary and I'm an eagleholic).

You are in good company.  :thumbup:  but there is no known cure.  :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline blackster1

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
compilation video of hatch day

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUxzC7QJ9o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUxzC7QJ9o</a>

Sea Eagles cam/Birds of Australia

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
We are in the process of writing to the people who are streaming the sea eagle cam.  WOW, they are so beautiful and the little chick is so precious.  It is an amazing view and such a great opportunity to learn about these Australian birds.

We don't yet know how to give proper credit to the cam owners, we are writing to ask.  Until we hear from them we would like to ask that credit be given on the screen caps and videos to "Sea Eagles Cam/Birds Australia".  We will let you all know the wording they prefer as soon as we hear from them.

Thank you Sea Eagles Cam and Birds Australia for bringing this fantastic cam to the internet so we all can enjoy and learn more about these wonderful birds.

Offline baysis

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
wondered if this might be of interest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-bellied_Sea_Eagle

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline tzherself

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
We are in the process of writing to the people who are streaming the sea eagle cam.  WOW, they are so beautiful and the little chick is so precious.  It is an amazing view and such a great opportunity to learn about these Australian birds.

We don't yet know how to give proper credit to the cam owners, we are writing to ask.  Until we hear from them we would like to ask that credit be given on the screen caps and videos to "Sea Eagles Cam/Birds Australia".  We will let you all know the wording they prefer as soon as we hear from them.

Thank you Sea Eagles Cam and Birds Australia for bringing this fantastic cam to the internet so we all can enjoy and learn more about these wonderful birds.

Mary Jane, I never thought to do that.  Thanks for the reminder, and I did go back and edit my post to do that.  Back home for a few, so I hope to see the little let before I have to run back out...loved the video Blackster1, thanks!
We're on eagle time now