Author Topic: Fishing Line  (Read 45199 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Fishing Line
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »
Mary Jane, you read my mind!  I was just looking on my PC for that pic!  Naturally, I have the original one on the wall, but I could not find the scanned copy.  That would be a good picture to use, too!

The problem is making the pictures larger.  They can lose resolution and look terrible.  I wish PB allowed me to upload high def pictures, but it doesn't :(  And I add the text with the PB tools, as I no longer have Photoshop.
Jean, California

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
I think I have the original somewhere on my computer, which is very large.  If anyone is interested in using this image - for those that would rather print black/white copies instead of color, I can look for the original photo of the drawing.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
I think the poster should be uploaded as a thumbnail of a large high resolution picture. It can then be printed to a large size without losing the clarity. One of booni's or wren's photos at high res with the text added.

Next problem is the largest size most home printers can print - that is usually 8 1/2 x 11 or 8 1/2 x 15. Staples could print enlarged copies from the 8 1/2 x 11 inches.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
An 8 x 12 would be big enough to give the idea to potential sites. Then if allowed, we'd have bigger sizes perhaps and the outdoor signs too.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
Beans, in the Tammy the Turtle book, is there a good image of the turtle with plastic in its mouth or something  similar? ( preview doesn't show one)

Would we want to try to get permission for the image?
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Personally, I like our posters better than the HelpWildlife.com ones.

This link tho, has a great pic of a turtle with plastic in its mouth.

http://www.helpwildlife.com/plasticbags.html

There is a lot of info in  these links sited by AJL and posted by Mary Jane. Another link is given inside one of these articles  at Monofilament Recovery and Recycling Program.

http://mrrp.myfwc.com/

They have a list of  some of the animals harmed. This info could support our cause.
beth
from California

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
One of the worst things for wildlife, including sea creatures, fish, diving birds - are the plastic rings that hold 6-pack cans together. They get their head through one of the holes. Lots of seals are found that way.

These things drift around forever in the water.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
I have not been following this thread very well, but have looked through all the suggested posters this morning.  While the ones with beautiful birds (eagle, pelican, heron) are nice, I really think that an image of a bird tangled in fishing line would be far more effective and harder to ignore.  I can imagine fishermen just walking past the lovely pictures - nothing to grab their attention.

Offline Kristy

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Nancy! A tangled bird may catch their eye more to stop them to have a look and get them to think about their own habits.
Are there any photos out there we may be able to use?
A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a song.  ~Chinese Proverb

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
At the bottom of this page there are some photos. Some are too yucky, imo. And we'd have to get permission to use them.

http://www.helpwildlife.com/index.html

IBRRC has some photos that we would permission . I'll look at some and see what we might like.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
I'm being very picky.  Imo, the pic should catch the eye, show the line clearly, and not be gruesome.

Here is one to consider:

From hardrainproject.com

Comment : this line not seen clearly enough
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
This one is from HelpWildlife

beth
from California

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:18 PM »
I don't care for gruesome, but such things will catch the eye of people, especially teenager boys - and we really do want to reach them with our message too.   :puzzled2

Maybe we can find some that show the distress and injury without being too graphic.  The pic above shows the line clearly but one has to "look" at it to see the terrible injury to the leg.  At a glance it doesn't convey the message - and I think a glance is all the posters will get - at least to get attention.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
This is a site I found, there are 6 pages of pics if someone would like to look and see what they like.

http://tinyurl.com/42h5tvu

IBRRC, didn't have any pics on their website that would work, imo.

And a google search page

http://www.google.com/search?q=birds+fishing+line+images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:34:20 PM by passerine »
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
At the HelpWildlife site, there are some, "What to do"

One is, how do you get line down from a tree. Would be good to put in our tips topic, imo.
beth
from California