Author Topic: Pete's Pond & Mashatu Reserve: 2011 & 2012  (Read 118424 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
About an hour ago, 'Nancy Indiana' posted on 'Sights and Sounds' re Archives:

Yeah!!! The archives are up and working! If the time a sighting was seen is posted, we can go back thru archives to look at it. The archives have 2 forms:

1. the entire stream is saved in 10-minutes clips
2. clips are made by the zoomie marking at the start and at the end for the clip as they watch the feed

So you can search for a date and hour, the click on the 10-minute clip that covers the time posted. You can even move the thingy forward to get to the exact time you want to watch. How cool is this!!!

This sounds similar to what Madrona has said re archives for Hornby?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:25:52 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Sun. May 15 CAT and at 6:16 am daylight approaches.  Sounds like someone may be on the hide's roof.

Beach area

View 6:16 am by BBE2009, on Flickr

To the right of the beach area (as you look at it on the computer), it appears that they have built the area up. A lot of gravel there.

Built up shore line 6:16 am by BBE2009, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:26:20 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Pete's Pond in Botswana, Africa
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
BBE, thank you for all of the wonderful screen caps and comments!  This was the first wildlife cam I watched on my old dial-up internet connection.  I'm looking forward to watching it late at night (at home) again! :thumbup:

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Hello Tigerlady, yes it is great to see the pond again.

6:43 a.m. the beach area again. When the elephants come for a drink and a splash they usually approach the pond from the area under the 'Wild' of Wildearth in upper right corner.

Beach area at 6:43 am by BBE2009, on Flickr

6:43 am 'Fleas' on the beach and the sun shining on the tree trunk.

6:43 am 'Fleas', sun on tree by BBE2009, on Flickr

Pondaholics Anonymous. has three wide angle views of the area, which are super.

When I have a free minute or two I will dig out my external hard-drive and see if I can find what the various areas of the pond were called. I know that way over to the left is 'Rocky Point.  

For any folks here who haven't watched the pond before the 'hut' like building you see on WE's cam page is located across from the 'beach' side and is referred to as either the 'hide' or the 'Boma' ( a place of protection from harm). This is what has the metal roof and power lines nearby, that some of the birds perch on.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:26:52 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
7:12 a.m. Rocky Point with Guinea Fowl

7:12 am Rocky Point and Guinea Fowl by BBE2009, on Flickr

and - - - - - - two lionesses on the Game drive, hiding from 3 or 4 hyenas.    :nod2
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:27:19 PM by BBE »

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
8:30 ppt a solitary wildebeast sauntered by.
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
Beth, I missed the wildebeest, I was watching lionesses on the drive.

Becoming addicted again.

9:49 am CAT One baboon on the left and a troop in the shade on the right. Also one or two egrets flew by.

9:49 am Baboons by BBE2009, on Flickr

Some mornings we have seen Cattle Egrets in huge numbers.

In the second post with references, the link to 'Kenya Birds' must be performing an update. It worked last evening and isn't now. I will check it again later.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:51 AM »
2:30 - 2:40 ppt beautiful bird song
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
Beth, I too love the bird calls in the early morning.  More people being trained as 'zoomies'  :thumbup:

'Nancy Indiana' found an aerial view of Pete's Pond with the key places named.  They are too small to read. But, I have an idea, but will it  :question

I also found my CD's from PP days I watched, So will check them too.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
Monday. 6:15 am CAT. The pond was pretty quiet when I took this. Now the occasional bird call and something splashing in the pond.  :question  Maybe a catfish.

6:14 am View  of PP by BBE2009, on Flickr

A friend said it would take a special program to show the names on the photo of the pond posted by Alan Tyler. And my CD yielded some great photos, but no map with areas of the pond  named.   :ecsad

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 12:52:35 AM »
I just looked at PP for a while, but nothing was visible.  I hope the 'zoomies' will start searching more actively!   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 07:31:49 AM »
Zoomies are either still being selected and/or trained for a few more days. Wonder if we had Pete himself on cam the first day. It was such good zooming and finding and focusing on the birds.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »
5 pm ppt peaceful scene with guinea fowl, and blacksmith lapwing present.
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
5 p.m. on the west coast here, so a good time to check in at the pond for any early, early morn activity (2 a.m. Tues. there).

I think the catfish are out and about, a lot of splashing heard. When I took this photo at 1:43 a.m. CAT, I could also hear a 'huffing' sounds, but no animal seen.

Main Beach Area

Catfish ? by BBE2009, on Flickr

Rocky Point - all quiet at 1:47 a.m.

Rocky Point by BBE2009, on Flickr

Right of Main Beach at 2:01 a.m.

Gravel Area by BBE2009, on Flickr

I did ask on the Pond site what had happened at this area that now looks filled with gravel. Just behind the gravelled area was a walkway behind bushes that many ellies would take when they left the pond. Apparently the warthogs and ? wildebeests had eroded the area with their activity.  Hence the rebuild with gravel.

BTW - the link to Kenya Birds HERE is working again.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
Several photos posted in the past hour of the first visit by an elephant. http://www.facebook.com/Petes.Pond.On.Mashatu

Also one short video, which shows the route many ellies take past the gravel area when leaving after a visit. The other two routes (especially if a large breeding herd) are through the centre and / or the well worn path from the beach area to the left just behind Rocky Point.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4h1RH0eyc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4h1RH0eyc</a>  

ETA at 9:57 pm) -  :blush   I intended (and then forgot) to mention that the video was recorded by another 'Pondie'.