Author Topic: Safari Drives Part 2 - Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011  (Read 139649 times)

Offline MaggiesMom

Re: Djuma Game Safaris ~ Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2011, 06:17:20 AM »
I have just spent the past two hours catching up on this thread - I miss the drives so much :eccry  but the photos and comments here do make me happy! :ecsmile thanks so much for all the memories BBE!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:16:28 PM by BBE »
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »
I was amazed to see one in the car leaning way out the indow to record.

Updated computer and spellcheck disappeared  :blush  How about "I was amazed to see one person in the car leaning way out the window to record."

:ecsmile  :eclove
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Hello to anyone who pops in here   :question  :eclol  

I am hoping the 'go ahead' will be given to have almost all the last four pages of posts in this topic split out and merged into other topics. The posts do not relate to drives; which were discontinued in late Nov. 2011; but should be retained.

Many of the 65 posts relate to sightings from the waterhole cam and updates from Djuma.  Hopefully these will be merged into the topic 'Djuma Waterhole Sightings' and we'll add 'and News'.

The rest pertain to sightings and / or news from other reserves in Sabi Sands and Tara's work related blogs. Perhaps a new topic for these along the lines of 'Sightings and News from Other Game Reserves'.

I'll keep you posted.  :ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »
 :heart thank you BBE for keeping the info and photos alive

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Thank you Cawatcher and all who watched and posted about the drives.  When I was splitting and merging posts from this topic into the new ones I was overwhelmed by what we have seen since 2009.  And for me and a few others here, back to 2007 when it all began.  Many, many happy and vivid memories, tinged with a few sad ones as well.  

I think we all agree that we were extremely privileged to watched drives from this area over the past five years.  Our undying gratitude to all the people in Sabi Sands who over the years participated in conducting and filming the drives, processing the diaries, posting blogs and providing the funding to make the drive happen. And, none of this would have occurred without the wildlife who put such trust in those on the various vehicles used.
 :ty   :hearts   :bow   :clap  

This topic will remain open in order for people who watched the Djuma Game Safaris ~ Aug. 17 - November 25, 2011. to add some of their photos from the DPGR drives.  Please add the date you took the photo(s) with a description.

NOTE: There are two topics related to South Africa's game reserves where photos, videos and news may be posted:

:ty    :thumbup:

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Graham Wallington Answers A Question About Live Game Drives
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:44 AM »
Graham Wallington re WE and Game Drives.

Many of you may know that Graham and WE now have cam on the 'Gosa Gang' of meerkats in the Kalahari Desert. They are are going live shortly with another live cam on wolves.

On my FB 'Newsfeed' was a post from Graham responding to why if WE can do these new cams with viewing at certain hours of the day can't the drives be brought back.

Graham Wallington responded:
Its not the technology that is the limitation, but rather the fact that the cost of employing the people is quite high relative to the fact that they can only produce 6 hours of viewing during times that are not conducive to the majority of North Americans. This results in the inability to develop a larger audience than the super hardcore addicted and that is not enough to make it viable. It is sad, and WE did try for a super long time, but I doubt that safari drives (the way WE did them at Djuma) will ever come back. However, WE learnt a lot and plan to apply that to all the new projects that we are working on. Lets not look backwards, but rather forwards. :)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Safari Drives Part 2 - Aug. 17 - Nov. 25, 2011
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »
April 23, 2013

I have been trying to check all posts with links to ensure they still work. I also moved the post with all of Tara's blogs about Karula and her family into it's own topic Tara's Blogs re Karula & Family 2010 - 2011.

I will 'pin' it for a couple of weeks.

:heart

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
Should you come across any posts in this topic with the words  #Invalid YouTube Link# would you please send me a PM with link to the post and I will fix it.

That has happened because when I posted was before we removed then replaced the icon in posting area.

Many thanks :ecsmile

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
BBE - what a lot of work you have put into this!  That explanation of Graham's finally makes it clear why the drives had to stop.  I am so so sad, but it makes sense.  I'm afraid I never made many scups on the Djuma drives.  I mostly did them at Sutton (my first cam experience).  So I have nothing to contribute.  But it is wonderful to go back and look at the scaps and vids from the past several years.  I miss Tara and Mark and the rest of the crew tremendously - though my work is getting done rather better than it was then!

I and my husband and two friends are still trying to plan a trip to the Sabi Sands area - and connect with PennyinSA and some other folk who chatted in the WE room all those years. If we do it and encounter Karula, there will be photos!
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
I am locking old, no longer in use topics.  You can still read in them, but you can't post.

BBE  :ecsmile