Author Topic: Pete's Pond & Mashatu Reserve: 2011 & 2012  (Read 125039 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Pete's Pond & Mashatu Reserve: 2011 & 2012
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Pete's Pond and Mashatu Game Reserve - Botswana, Africa

:thumbup: On Saturday May 14, 2011 at 06:00a.m. CAT (Central African Time), Pete's Pond returned live for all to watch live 24 / 7. :biggrin3

This topic has been set up to celebrate the return of and once again enjoy Pete's Pond (PP).  New Dawn ~ Pete's Pond Returns

Pete's Pond is located in the Mashatu Game Reserve, in south-eastern Botswana, Africa. The pond was initially set up by Pete Le Roux who at that time was, and still is the general manager of Mashatu Game Reserve. He created the pond as a watering hole in the hopes of protecting wildlife from poachers along the Limpopo River.

The reserve is located at the confluence of the Limpopo and Shashe Rivers adjacent to the country of Zimbabwe. The Mashatu Game Reserve is high lighted in red on the following maps. Click on both photos for larger image

From 2005 - late 2009 thousands of people around the world watched a live camera from Pete's Pond and became devoted fans, known as 'Pondies'.  An extensive variety of wildlife and so many birds were seen.  We became well acquainted with the camera person 'Afke' who answered our questions on the forum. Many vivid photos and videos were posted there too.

We first heard about the project to bring back live camera feed after Peter Braat from WildEarth met with Pete Le Roux.
March 18 ~ Pete's Pond LIVE Broadcasts to Return

Control of the camera is in the hands of folks in various locations who can 'work' the camera. These people are affectionately  known as 'zoomies'.
May 11 ~ Wanted: Zoomies!!! The broadcast from Pete's Pond will be recorded and archived 24/7.

Viewing hours: 24 / 7   :thumbup:

Links to the live camera:  As well as watching the feed from wildearth.tv and mashatu.com, it will also be shown on Ustream and Justin.TV

Other links:
  • Mashatu - Land of the Giants . Some of the topics (in left hand side-bar) are related to history, general information, drives etc. To see lists of the Animals, Birds and Trees seen at the pond; click on the tab under the picture titled ‘The Wildlife’ and then on ‘Species Checklist’. Also, Click on ‘Pete’s Pond’. This contains two sections named ‘Pete’s Pond Monthly Reports’ (2008 and 2009). The monthly reports include photos and were written 'Afke', the cam operator many of us came to know on the forum associated with the camera.
  • Facebook ~ Pete's Pond on Mashatu with posts and photos about the sights.
  • Temp. Celsius in Serowe.
  • Temp. Fahrenheit in Serowe.

In appreciation and thanks to Pete Leroux, and all those at WildEarth tv. All photos/videos posted are copyright © of Pete's Pond at Mashatu, and WildEarth.tv .

Enjoy  :biggrin6

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:05:22 AM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Pete's Pond in Botswana, Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
Thanks, BBE.  I remember first watching this cam years ago.  I wasn't making videos at that time.  I would just stare at the pond..  and enjoy the sounds, too. 
Jean, California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
The following posts in quotes were written in the topic for 'WildEarth Safari Drives' before I started this topic. As a result they came before my first post, so I quoted them to be included.

I'm so happy, oh so happy - - - - -   :biggrin6

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:16:57 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
I wonder when the ipad app Peter mentions will be available?  It is not in the app store yet.
Nice that the cam will be on other outlets, too.
I had never seen Pete's Pond, but know that many of the WE fans watched it in the past.  I am looking forward to seeing the animal activity and scenery.  :nod2
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:17:27 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Woo Hoo!  I love Pete's Pond.  It will be different and somewhat strange not to have someone there. People there shared what they heard coming or seeing in the distance.  Glad to have it back tho.  Zoomies wanted!   :biggrin3. Hope we get some very, very good ones signed up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:17:49 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Hmmmm, I wonder if there is an app for "zoomies" on the road!  :ecwink
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:18:10 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Luv, you could become the 'roaming zoomie' for the forum  :question
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:18:32 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
I love the serenity of Petes Pond. Can't wait to see it again, and have a topic here for it too!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:18:52 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Where oh where have Pete B's two blogs from May 11, 2011 gone :question ('New Dawn ~ Pete's Pond Returns' and ' Wanted: Zoomies!!! '.

Maybe setting up new blog area for Pete's Pond. We'll have to wait and see.  :puzzled2

Note: they re-appeared :ecsmile

http://blog.wildearth.tv/2011/05/new-dawn-petes-pond-returns.html

http://blog.wildearth.tv/2011/05/with-imminent-relaunch-of-cams-at-petes.html

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:19:23 PM by BBE »

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
I was just reading the blogs a few min ago.  Try again BBE.  :ecsmile
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Hi Beth, I have cleared my cache and re-started my computer and am not seeing those two blogs under http://www.wildearth.tv/wildearth-blog, which is where they were when originally posted and yesterday.

Update at 12:26 p.m. now get a message which says.  
Service temporarily unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:19:46 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Good news - we now have a link from WildEarth to view Pete's Pond. Also a newer link today from Ustream. I have added these to the first post and to the topic Links to Wildlife Cams

Link for Viewing from WildEarth

New Link for Viewing from Ustream

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:20:09 PM by BBE »

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the new links! :)

I found the blogs: wildearth.tv then click on
News
Wildearth
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
For the ipad I can connect thru Skyfire using the ustream link.
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Thanks Beth, when I came home from a breezy walk the two blogs were back in place.  

I think all is in place for the 'kick-off' of Pete's Pond. Enjoy folks.  I'll be thinking of you and the pond at 9 p.m.. I hope to be home about 11:30 p.m. Pacific - so will definitely drop in.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:20:35 PM by BBE »