Author Topic: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade  (Read 108866 times)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
Thank you Wild! That was great. I wondered how many eagleholics saw and answered the question on the eagles in Decorah. I love the logic too. :thumbup:
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Eagles     by Cameron

An eagle's wings are eight feet long.  There are 59 kinds.  Every kind of eagle has the same parts.  Eagles can be fierce hunters.  Eagles nests are called aeries.  Eagle nests can be on a mountaintop.  Every spring lots of eagles return to the same nests. There are snake eagles.  Snake eagles have big heads.

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
Journal notes by Emily -  (workerbee111)

Today on Decorah dad brought in a raccoon and Ajlt snatched the raccoon away and then dad flew off.  Then he came back and snatched it away from the eaglets and showed them how to tear it open.

I did not know that Decorah is a famous cam.

One of the eaglets backed up to the edge of the nest and did a white stringy poop shot.

Some other birds of prey I did not know of before are hawks, vultures, falcons, osprey, kites, and owls.

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »
Notes from Kelsey's journal   (aka KELSEY 123456789) after reading .

Birds of Prey
Author:  Marilyn Wooley and Keith Pigdon
Genre: non fiction

I knew out of this text eagles catch their prey by swooping down and grabbing it with their talons.  I also knew they eat mainly fish.  They use their hooked beaks and talons to gather and tear their fool.

I knew it was against the law to cut down trees with an eagles nest in ti and I knew the bald eagle was the national bird.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »
Wonderful information, Cameron, Emily and Kelsey!   We're very happy to see how much you are learning about eagles.   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline wildkitten

: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
  Hello from Florida!!!  It's been awhile since we have posted, but we are always lurking in the background....  we are loving the territory cam, and we are watching for signs of eggs!!!! 

So one of the children came in this morning with a tidbit of information she learned on a web site.  We would like to know if it is true or not... you can't always believe what you see on the Internest... (although I am excited to see a motivated student who looks for herself!)

The site claimed  when a bald eagle loses a feather on one wing, it will drop a matching feather from the other side to maintain its balance..  Is this true?

Can the experts help us out???   Thanks!!

~Wildkitten :group

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:42 AM »
What a great question, Wild!  I wish I knew the answer - maybe AJL or someone who knows much more than me will tell us all!
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: : Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »
 The site claimed  when a bald eagle loses a feather on one wing, it will drop a matching feather from the other side to maintain its balance..  Is this true?

Sorry to take so long to reply!  I did not think this was correct, so I asked AJL ... and she said no, this is not correct.  

The  Journey North website has some good information, and on that website, Peter Nye responded to a question about molting in Bald Eagles:

Source: http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/ExpertAnswer09.html
Once they achieve their final “adult” plumage, it is likely that bald eagles molt their flight feathers just about every year, primarily in New York from summer through fall. However, some evidence of “molting” can be seen at almost any time of the year.
This flight feather molt is not simultaneous; rather, matched flight feathers are generally lost at separate times, so the birds are never left flightless.

This picture is an example from that website:

Source: http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/sl/2/A.html

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
Nancy,

(... and you see how long it took for me to remember we had asked  a question!   LOL  Spring Break got in our way)

Thanks so much for the info on the feathers and the photo to support it!  We apprciate the new site to look at as well! 

We have just started our formal "eagle teaching".  I made up some notebooks with maps of the MN Bound nest, as that will be our primary focus this year I guess as we are waiting for pips.  We have pages for observations on both nests, and I have the videos Sparky did last year on the eye and the tongue....some fun pages....  some conservation and rehab info...  etc etc etc. All year long, I scrounge for writings on eagles I can turn into reading passages and tests.   We love checking in on the territory cam before we go look at MN, but the kids need eaglets up close and personal to develop a love...    we will be posting our questions and writings here if that's still ok....  HEGPS is Home to me, and you people rock!  :-)
 ~~~  Wildkitten

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
Sounds to me like you have a great plan in place for your kids to learn about eagles - and did I hear that you are incorporating poetry? :eclove

We all hope that you will share with us whatever the class comes up with this year.

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
trying to remember how to post here....   this is a picture of our eagle notebooks...Nick drew a picture of the intruder chase on the nest April 15.  Thanks Cali and Paint for the videos!!      

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »

I just love the talons in Aiden's picture!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:11:55 PM by boonibarb »

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »

This is Floodwater's poem entitled "Bobbleheads".  I did not give the title to the kids before we analyzed it together.  Thank Goodness Aiden figured out it was about eagles watching over the baby Harmony - then it began to click!  Just thought I'd share a different aspect of our learning.... we get so much from the nest and the chatters than just eagles.  Thanks Flood, for letting us use your beautiful words. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:31:18 PM by NancyM »

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
(sigh) WildKitten - that was just so beautiful!  Wish I had a teacher like you when I was at school.  What a great way to learn - so many aspects - eagles behaviour, life lessons, grammar, poetry, etc.

And thanks to Floodwater for the use of her poignant prose/poem.   :heart

Offline dusk44

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Hi kids!

I love bobbleheads too. The way you figured out what Flood's booblehead poem meant  brought a tear to my eye..Thankyou,

Dusk  :thumbup: