Author Topic: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade  (Read 106354 times)

Offline wildkitten

Re: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »

Illustration by Blayne

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
Hi all,
Thank you all for your wonderful Drawings .I have enjoyed very much looking at them.
 Blayne ,
That is a Great drawing of the cruise ship. When I have my pictures all sorted I will show you a picture of it and you can see how close your drawing is to it .

Tanner,
 I did indeed see Kangaroos in Australia and I also saw Koala bears High up in a tree. Your picture of  the Kangaroo is very good .

Kelsey,
 I saw volcanoes in Hawaii but i am glad to say none of them erupted while I was there .I Saw lots of Tiki statues and beautiful beaches with white sand .I also tried to drink milk from a coconut. It was very good but did not look like  milk we get here . It was a very clear liquid .

Emily,
        Your picture is very good .I did see lots of fish and coral  in Samoa . I had a wonderful time on  the beach.

I also saw some school children coming from school.

Raeleigh,
What you found out about New Zealand is very true .We saw lots of sheep there.  We did not see one Kiwi though . Somebody told us they are very shy and hard to find .

I did have a wonderful time . Thank you all  for thinking of me on my journey .In the coming weeks I will show you my pictures of the places we visited.

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
Th pictures below are pictures of a volcanic Island in the South Pacific Ocean in the Bay of Plenty called Whakaari Island . That means White Island . I thought it was pretty neat . Our ship sailed around this island

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78476708@N06/7189789310/in/photostream/lightbox/

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
      This is the "Eagle Area" in our classroom, where all thing eagle are...  our US map with the chatters we frequently see, our eagle books, the nest with the three eggs (wiffle balls are about the same size), scaps of the eggs at various stages of hatch, and all my eagle items ...just thought somebody might want to see ....  :faint :investigate2

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
   this shot has the whole area, including the big eagle kite

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
Wildwoman Thank you for sharing your classroom This is fantastic!!
Sparkie Thank you for sharing some of your adventures!! active volcano wow and YIKES!!

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
So, the kids wanted to know about poop...(what else is new?) and AJL had given some good information about the eagle's vent - how the urine and the fecal matter mix together and are 'projected' from one opening - the vent....  so i did a quick drawing on the board to demonstrate  (not the best drawing, but i didn't know I'd be posting it LOL)        Then Blayne said I should make the bird stand on a branch and bend over, because "that's the way they do it"   The stuff we learn!!!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »
WildKitten, your classroom looks so inviting.  :eclove    Good for Blayne!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »
 Today we wrote acrostic poems about eagles.  Here are a few of them.

Enormous wings
Action
Exciting to watch
Gnaws on food
Lays eggs
Eats rabbits, fish, and squirrel
` ~ by Jase

Eat
Aeries
Guards
Lays
Eggs
   ~ by Tyler

Enormous wings
And soar
Grassy playlens
Lays eggs
Eats fish
Spread my wings
   ~ by Timmy

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
Wonderful acrostic poems about eagles, Jase, Tyler and Timmy.  It looks as if you are learning a lot about these beautiful birds!   :thumbup:

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline basenjimom

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
Love the poem additions.  You kids are VERY talented!!   :heart

Thank you Kitty, keep them coming.  I love the classroom updates  :eclove

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
I wrote and gave a test today on a reading selection about an eagle that had a broken wing. 

Question #11 was for extra credit:   Based on your schema (what you know in your head) what would you call the eagle in the selection? a. an eaglet   b  an adult   c. a bobblehead   d. a fledgling.        WHY?  Explain your thinking. 

MARIA:  An adult.  because I see a white head.  and I don't see no pinfeathers.  Eaglets have pinfeathers .....   

TANNER:  I think this eagle is an adult because eagles don't get their white head until they are 5 and over.

SHAILEE:  It's an adult.  Baby eagles are called eaglets. This says eagle.   (I loved this logic)

EMILY:  The reason I know it's an adult is because it has a white head.

RAELEIGH:  I think it is an adult eagle because it has a white head and because it knows how to fly. 

I bet they all would have answered the Jeopardy question right the other night, too!   :abra

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2012, 07:35:03 AM »
 :thumbup: wow Wildwoman!! that is fantastic!! so proud of your class!!

Offline idahowa

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
That's awesome.  They're all good answers.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Bravo for the kidlets' answers on the test, WilldK, and for you as their teacher!   :thumbup: