Author Topic: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade  (Read 102143 times)

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
Re: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
Hi Abby!  The amount of food an eaglet can eat in a day depends on how old and how large (developed) the eaglet is.
For example, an eaglet that weighs 1500 grams can eat (and needs to eat) twice as much food as an eaglet that weighs 600 grams.

You knew there would be a math question, didn't you?  :eclol
:question How many pounds is the eaglet who needs to each twice as much?  

Imagine that our 1500 gram eaglet needs to eat 300 grams of whole herring (yes, even the skin and bones!) one day.

A small plump herring, like Mom and Dad often bring to the nest, might be around 23 centimeters long and weigh 100 grams.
 :puzzled2 How many herrings would our eaglet need to eat, if he needs to eat 300grams that day?

If an eagle loses its whole talon, it will not grow back.  :ecsad
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
ajl, we think three herrings ....

Wildkitten has a question:  Are the eaglets doing a normal amount of sleeping, or should they be more active at this point?      I know that they have been getting much less than three herrings a day, and am wondering if what I see is normal for growth or if they are perhaps, conserving energy? 

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
We have just started to write narratives - stories, rather than informative pieces.  We use a format which must include a beginning, with characters, a setting, and a problem, then a middle with two attempts to solve the problem, and then an ending where the problem is solved.  We try to use conversation, as well.      We would like to share a few.

Too Much Noise!
by Chandler   (ckmart on chat)

One day on Hornby Island, Mom and Dad were in the nest with the baboes.  suddenly, the starlings were making too much noise.  "This is not good," said Dad. 
     First, Dad threw a stick down, but it missed the starling nest!  "Darn it" said Alexandra.  Darn" said Dad.
     Next, the babies tried to scream at the starlings, but they were not loud enough.
     Last, Dad screamed at the starlings, and they did not make anymore noise.  "Finally, they stopped, now we can rest in peace." said Mom.

The Starlings Save The Day
by Mikell      (Mikey on chat)

Me and David sat in the nest without any food for days.
     Dad went to the ocean to catch a fish.  He came back later without any food.  "What's happening Daddy?  I said.  "I didn't catch anything," he said.
     Mom flew to the river and she looked around and saw an alligator.  She flew away.  A few minutes later she arrived at the nest.  "An alligator was there."  "OMG" said David."No food".
     Just then, the starlings flew over and dropped a fish in the nest.  "God does love us...food!" 

Alzheimer's Eagle.....
by Josh

Ever since Dad got old he has really lost his mind.  He had a little Alzheimers that made him lose some things.  It wasn't a big deal, but it was a little difficult on some days.  But today, he forgot how to fly while he was trying to find food for me in the pond.  (Not for alexandra, only for ME!)
     Mom tried to pick Dad up, but he is too heavy.  "Ah! What are we gonna do now?" Alexandra said. 
     "Oh, I know!  Now I can try to fly to him."  But Alexandra can't fly yet.
     Finally, Mom went down and taught Dad how to fly again.  He flew back safely to the nest and now we have our family back.  "Yeah", Alexandra and I shouted.  We lived happily ever after.

thanks for reading our stories!

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »
These stories are precious! I hope Dad really does not get Alzheimers, though. Mom will be busy with David and Alexandra, and might not have time to teach Dad how to fly again for a while :ecwink

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
I loved how you used your imaginations to come up with the stories above. It is wonderful that you are able to join us in watching and learning about the bald eagles.   :ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
 :wub. How fun, I loved your stories.  :eclove

Was this done just before lunch?  The kids and eaglets are hungry. :mhihi

Beth
beth
from California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
 :clap Wonderful stories! Thank you for letting us read your stories.

I sure hope Dad doesn't forget how to fly.  :eceek  That would be a terrible thing.
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 02:28:29 AM »
What wonderful stories, Chandler,  Mikell and Josh!  Thank you for writing your interesting ideas about what the Hornby eagles might say and do.   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
http://photobucket.com/nestdrawings

let's see if this worked....first try!

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
Thank you so much for letting us see your beautiful drawings! You sure do know the Hornby nest with the cameras and tree trunk in your drawings.

Very good!  :thumbup:
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
Oh my gosh, Wild---these drawings are Terrific!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »
Wonderful drawings, 2nd Grade little scientists!  You have been watching the eagles carefully and your pictures are so well done!   :thumbup:

Have a very nice summer vacation!   :heart

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
Notice to all students and parents from the Our Nature Zone forum team:

We encourage parents to register on the forum, using their own screen names so they can post their child's questions on the class thread during summer vacation, and put the student's initials with the question.

Our Nature Zone Forum link:

To register:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php  

Your class link:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=793.0

Please feel free to contact me or the other HEGPS members if you have questions.

We've enjoyed having you be a part of our Hornby Eagles family.   :thumbup:

Have fun watching the eagles and have a wonderful summer vacation!   :heart

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
Welcome to the new year!  This year, we are observing the Decorah eagles in Decorah , Iowa.  We are having fun learrning about this pair of bald eagles!

Today Sparky sent us a video of the eagle's eyes.  We watched the video, talked about what we saw, and looked for some answers on the Internet.  Then we wrote about our learning.  This is what we learned today.

Eagle Eyes

Eagles' eyes are different than human eyes.  Eagles can look forwards and sideways at the same time.  They can see hundreds of feet down into water and see the fish!  Eagles have three eyelids.  The bottom is bigger than the top, so eagles blink UP instead of DOWN.  The third eyelid closes sideways.  It is called the Nictitating membrane.  It protects the eye, and the eagle can see through it.   

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
Welcom class! You taught me some things about their eyes that I didn't know. Great observers you are!  : :ecsmile
beth
from California