Author Topic: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade  (Read 106512 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Macclenny Elementary School, Florida - 2nd grade
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
Great to see you here, Wildkitten and class.  Hope you enjoy watching the eagles!   :eclove

Sorry you can't chat.  We'll check here for your posts!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2014, 06:21:50 AM »
Thanks, Tigerlady!  :-)   

We have a question....  I didn't know the answer....   Chanel asked this morning "if someone went up into a nest and put an egg there, would the parents incubate it?"  We decided that even if it were legal, we would not really want an adult eagle watching us do this - those talons are sharp!!   .....  but then Coop asked if there were an ABANDONDED nest, no chance of any eagle using it, no eggs, no lets,....  would it still be illegal to go up into it to take a look around (since we know it is big enough)??  Any thoughts on this?? 

~Wild

P.S.  >>I have some deep thinkers/questioners this year ---  I spend a lot of time here on the   :couch2   (lol)

Offline paintnut

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Goodness Wild - good luck with your little scientists.  I have no idea what the answer to the first question is.  As far climbing the nest tree, it seems to me it is ok as long as the eagles are outside of the nesting season.  Climbers go up to clean cams and replace and repair equipment in the off season and I don't believe permission is needed to do that or perhaps permission to do that is granted when the permits to cam the tree are approved.   Maybe someone else would have a more definitive answer.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Great questions, WK!  I can offer only a couple of thoughts in response.

Chanel asked this morning "if someone went up into a nest and put an egg there, would the parents incubate it?"

They would most likely incubate that egg; in fact, they would incubate a fake egg!  In the Channel Islands in California, the Institute for Wildlife has been conducting a decades-long ongoing project to restore the eagle population. This page summarizes one of their projects: http://iws.org/species_bald_eagle_catalina.html

excerpt:
Since 1989, the reintroduced population has been maintained through manipulations of eggs and chicks at each nest site and through additional hacking of birds. Because of the high DDE concentrations in the eggs, this active program of manipulation and augmentation is the only way to maintain the Catalina Island bald eagle population at this time. In the egg manipulation process, structurally deficient eggs laid by the birds affected by DDE are replaced with artificial eggs, with biologists often using extreme measures (including helicopter lifts) to reach remote nest sites. The adult eagles continue to incubate the artificial eggs while the real eggs are relocated and artificially incubated at our incubation facility on Catalina Island. Chicks that hatch from these removed eggs, or those produced by captive adults at the ACC or by wild birds, are then fostered back into the nests. Since 1989, 38 chicks have been successfully fostered into nests on Catalina Island and two healthy eggs placed in nests have hatched and the chicks successfully reared.

The researchers that climb into the nests there wear hard hats, but I have read that the adults do not attack them - they fly around and scream but keep a certain distance.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
but then Coop asked if there were an ABANDONDED nest, no chance of any eagle using it, no eggs, no lets,....  would it still be illegal to go up into it to take a look around (since we know it is big enough)??
I would say climbing into an abandoned nest might be one of those gray areas we seem to run into, but ... since there is a US law (the Migratory Bird Treaty Act) that says we cannot possess any parts of any wild birds or their nests (except pigeons, house sparrows, and starlings).  I would guess that disturbing any abandoned eagle nest by climbing into it would come under the heading of illegal.

In addition to laws that protect the eagles, the US has "Best Management Practices" guidelines in place that people are supposed to follow.  Some of the guidelines say that if a nest blows out of a tree, you have to still protect the tree for 3-5 (I forget which) years to see if the eagles will rebuild there.

The Federal ones for the US  are here:  http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/currentbirdissues/management/baldeagle/nationalbaldeaglemanagementguidelines.pdf.

There may also be different guidelines for different states.  In the federal document that I linked to, there are FWS contact numbers for all of the states.  Maybe you should invite a state FWS rep to talk to your class- they would surely keep her on her toes!

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

Today as we watched Decorah, the kids did some journal writing of their observations. It was the first time we have witnessed road kill dinner.   I thought Chris' words sounded like a poem.  (kind of a gross poem, but nonetheless..... ) 

Today Dad is eating a furry animal.
Standing on it.
Ripping it up
       with its beak.

~~~ Chris F.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
Chris did a good job with his poem.  He saw something and described it well in poem form.  Keep writing, Chris!   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »

Today, we watched Hornby......  WK got to hear Mom's morning call, which made her day!  :-)
While we watched and wrote our observations, we tried to use some of the figurative language we've been learning in class....

" Today we saw a parade of birds on the water."   ~Macey
"There were a lot of birds...It looked like a Justin Bieber concert."  ~Kira
"The birds were on the water like ants.  They looked like a marching band."  ~Carter
"It looked like a war of fish. ~Kendell
"The ducks looked like ants covering the ocean."  ~Brynne

:-)   Wildkitten

:duck :duck :duck :duck   goose

Online Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:50 AM »
 :thumbup: Very good observations!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »
 :thumbup:  Very nice observations, Macey, Kira, Carter, Kendell and Brynne!  I can picture what you wrote about when I read your descriptions.    :thumbup:

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »
Great Obs kids!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
Wonderful observations from your students Wildkitten! They rock my world!!  :thumbup:
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline wildkitten

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
   Oh Boy!  We have been watching two nests (here and Decorah) and reading about penguin chicks at school.  The students have some questions, and I thought this might be just the place to pose them...     :biggergrin2

We've been watching the full pantry at Decorah (today there was fish, rabbit, and squirrel on the menu) and Cooper asked, "What do eagles drink?"

Chanel wants to know if an eagle will steal food from or take over a nest if no one is in it.

She also wants to know when the eagles get their brood patch.  (We found out that emperor penguins have brood patches too - on their feet where they carry the egg.) :reading

We've been listening to Mom and Dad Hornby call to each other, and wondered how loud is their call?  We know that microphone makes things loud sometimes, because we can hear "Rufus" the dog on the ground barking like he is right in the classroom with us.

During some of the fly-ins, Macey asked, "How big are Mom and Dad's wings?"

It takes 21 days for chickens, and 2 months for penguins, so...how long does it take eagles' eggs to hatch?

That's all for today.....Thank you all for reading our posts.  We look forward to checking for responses, and we all want to say how happy we are that Mom seems to be feeling better.  We are "cautiously anticipating"  hatchdate so we can celebrate more bobbleheads!

~~~ Wildkitten and class :heart

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
Hello Little Scientists!

Cooper asked, "What do eagles drink?"
Cooper, eagles drink fresh water when they can find it.  They bathe in and drink from lakes and streams, rivers, creeks and ponds.  However, most of the water they acquire comes from their food, which is very juicy! 

Chanel wants to know if an eagle will steal food from or take over a nest if no one is in it.
Chanel, we have seen eagles (especially young ones) steal food from nests.  Some are chased off by the parents, but now and then someone manages to raid the larder.   
In answer to the second part of your question, eagles will indeed take over an unused or abandoned nest, and some will even take up residence in nests built by other birds, like hawks and herons! 

She also wants to know when the eagles get their brood patch. 

Eagles' brood patches (aka incubation patches) begin to develop before egg laying. 

We've been listening to Mom and Dad Hornby call to each other, and wondered how loud is their call? 

This depends upon what they're communicating and  how loudly they have to call to be heard over background noises like wind, waves, other birds and human sounds. Their calls can as soft as a robin's song, as loud as a dog's barks, and even louder when the birds are screeching.

During some of the fly-ins, Macey asked, "How big are Mom and Dad's wings?"
Wingspan (distance from the tip of one wing to the tip of the other wing) ranges from 5 1/2 feet to eight feet. The lower end of the range would include smaller southern males and the higher end would include the largest northern females.

It takes 21 days for chickens, and 2 months for penguins, so...how long does it take eagles' eggs to hatch?

Usually it is around 35 to 39 days from laying to hatch.  Each egghabitant is on his or her own schedule.   :eclol
How many weeks is that, Little Scientists?  :investigate2

We look forward to checking for responses, and we all want to say how happy we are that Mom seems to be feeling better.  We are "cautiously anticipating"  hatchdate so we can celebrate more bobbleheads!

We're glad that Mom feels well too! 

Little Scientists, on which date do YOU think the first egg might hatch?   :duck

AJL  :heart
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline Stokes

« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2014, 11:20:08 PM »
 Just love reading these posts, I just read all of them
and feel amazed at the variety of questions, the journal
entries, artwork and poems. 2nd Graders are so smart!
And so is their teacher :)

I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future
and the educational responses from the crew here.

Keep up the good work!!

Floodwater