Author Topic: Maine Bald Eagles  (Read 42722 times)

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Maine Bald Eagles
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
Yes, BRI have their own "community" site for their cams and there is a small following on there too. http://briloon.ning.com/  They were made aware of the taunting and it was much quieter today. We're never told about the situation below the nest, sometimes they even turn the cam mic down or off - perhaps in respect of the landowners below, we just do not know.
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Laurad - how very upsetting.  This nest has had more than its share of problems, I know.  And the Maine nest watchers are such a loyal group of people.

I was horrified watching that video - very hard to watch!  I also posted it in the Hornby chatroom this afternoon and it got a lot of attention and reactions from viewers there.  You might have noticed a few 'strangers' visiting WOW afterwards, as I also posted a link to the Maine Nest thread too.  I hope things will settle down and that the female will return.  I know you will keep us posted ...
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
Laurad, in that one s'cap I posted above - do you have any idea if that was the intruder or Dad Maine on his back? (I am thinking it was Dad M)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »

Wow, Laura, thanks for recording this & sharing it with us here.
Very interesting.
wooohoooo!

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 01:41:39 AM »
Thanks boonibard - there's always something going on at this nest - we thought we were having a nice calm day - as it turns out, Mom disappears and Dad gets attacked. She never did return, so we are waiting for daylight this morning to find out if she came back after dark. The weather is supposed to turn very cold with heavy snow today.

Nancy, I think it was Dad on his back, but it was so hard to tell.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »
I thought I was seeing clouds in a bright blue sky this morning, but now I think it is actually a snow-covered lens.

ETA:  Having read the thread over at WoW (http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.3420), I see that before the lens got covered, Dad was on the nest and had yet another visit from perhaps the same intruder as yesterday.  at the same time, mom has not been seen for several hours. I think this is at least the second time she has been AWOL for an extended period of time (~24 hours or so).

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
Yes, the len and mic covered in snow, the wind is blowing, we can't hear or see anything at this crucial time. It's not looking good.

I did get a recording of the 2nd fight this morning. There was a Raven, too - probably came in with the intruding eagle.  Sorry about the clock being in UK time.. I thought it a good idea to show the time.. so just deduct 5 hours.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjWsADggRM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjWsADggRM</a>

It's all just too hearbreaking.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
 So very sad, indeed. :eccry

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
He's very dedicated, the snow has cleared from the lens, for now.. and there's an eagle swaying around on the nest still. What devotion. The cam has pulled back, so it's hard to identify it for sure. It's unlikely Mom would have flown in during this storm.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »

Video:  Sunny Afternoon at the Maine Eagle Nest

Two eggs in the nest
1st egg: 3/24
2nd egg: 3/27
Expect hatching to begin 4/28

Recorded at 3:55 PM local time
Jean, California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
Thank you beans. What a lot of drama and more drama on this nest. As I look at the cam page, there are 327 viewers. The number has been higher. Normally it's about 6!

Mom DID return today, but she has been acting very oddly. She hasn't (to my knowledge), sat on the eggs and has actually actively discouraged Dad from doing so.

He deserves a "Dad of the Year" award if there is such a thing. For the past 2 or 3 days he has been incubating on his own. Thank goodness she returned and it definitely is her because she has a black spot on her back. We do not know what's going on.

There have been two "fights" and then everyone started to speculate that it was another male, might have been another female, and then some think it might have been Mom just trying to get him away for some reason. Lots of different ideas, but we may never know.

Tonight will be telling - if she is "serious" then she should take over the night duties. I think it's the Dad on the nest now, I'm not sure as I have been out.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
I can't tell them apart unless they are both on the nest.  One poster (BCAW?) said she was 99% sure the eggs weren't viable.  I wanted to question that, ask her if she could be specific about events that led her to this conclusion.  But I don't watch the nest everyday, and maybe the reasons are obvious to those who keep a close eye on these eagles.  In any case, it was very disheartening to read that post...  :ecsad
Jean, California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Thanks beans. In 2007 we were ALL 99% sure the eggs would not hatch.. so many hours left unattended, extreme weather conditions.. etc..etc.. then we spotted a bobble head and we called it Miracle.

Within another day or two we saw another bobble head.. but the weather became atrocious and went on for 2 days without letting up. Mom stayed on the nest covering the babes, but was not able to ever even stand up to feed them.. no food came and the weather did not let up. Both perished. It was so sad... but they both hatched against all the odds.

We have no idea what will happen now.. the most worrying thing at this time is that Mom is not showing enough interest. Otherwise, I do not see why they are not viable. There is so much speculation though.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
I tuned in just before it got dark on the nest. Mom was there - sort of standing over the eggs - not in incubating position. As it got dark, she flew up and then away.

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Nancy, will this drama ever end? Mom sat there rather reluctantly, I thought... not relaxed.. not really interested in the eggs.. eventually she turned one, or both, if there are still two. The egg became exposed so we could actually see it. She then flew to the Y branch and a short while later took off. She has no interest in this nest now.. unless she or Dad return in the darkness and sit. Some people were speculating that she laid another egg and then took off..   :mhihi  hmmm enough said. So... the drama continues.. will there be an eagle on the nest in the morning or not? if not.. then ?  :ecsad

Thanks for keeping up - what a roller-coaster ride.