Author Topic: Maine Bald Eagles  (Read 44085 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Maine Bald Eagles
« on: March 26, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
Maine Bald Eagle Nest

With our thanks and appreciation to BioDiversity Research Institute
screencaptured images copyright 2011 Biodiversity Research Institute

Live Cam Here

Link to BLOG Here

Briloon's own BRI Webcam Community: http://briloon.ning.com/

Photos and videos courtesy and copyright Biodiversity Research Institute

With thanks and appreciation to BRI

Video:  First Egg for the Maine Bald Eagles!

Their first egg since 2007.  As some of you may recall, there was a horrendous storm in mid-April, 2007, and the two baby eaglets were lost.   :eccry

Recorded 1:40 local time.

Video: Maine Eagles Rebuild Their Nest in Fall 2006

I recorded only one video of the Maine Bald Eagles prior to the one recorded today. I was surprised I still had the video on external HD.  It had originally been posted on PutFile, but all videos and pictures were lost after the website was taken down.

There were such high hopes in 2006!  I just added the credits at the end and uploaded it to YT.  It's very sentimental, with an Alan Silvestri sound track.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:02:33 PM by beans »
Jean, California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Maine Bald Eagles
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »
beans, thank you, I'm so glad you started this thread. The first egg has been laid and it's just a day or two behind the Hornby eagles, so it should be fun to watch the process.

There has been a lot of speculation about this pair, whether they are the original pair or not. There was a battle for the nest in March, 2009 and there was a lot of discussion after that which culminated in the decision that it was likely the original Mom had moved on, but that it was the original Dad still. The eagles are not banded and we relied on our recognition of them and their character traits. It's quite likely this is the same Dad, but it might not be. The female does have distinguishing marks - she has a couple of pale spots on her head and a very obvious black spot in the middle of her back. Some people on the WoW Forum are convinced they are a completely new pair and the discussion gets heated sometimes. We'll never know for sure and should maintain an open mind.  :nod2

The WoW Forum is down this morning because of scheduled maintenance, we hope it won't be for too long. There was chatter by both eagles at around 05:15 this morning and it became light at about 05:30. It's truly a beautiful site which is why so many of us have remained loyal and hopeful for so long.
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Here is a s'cap of Mom laying her egg on March 24 (a good starting point to know which one is the female  )

maine_egglaying_3-24-3-2011_2 by aurospio, on Flickr

and then incubating

maine_Mom_3-25-2011_2 by aurospio, on Flickr

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

In Nancy*s screen cap of the Mum laying her egg, i see some pruning has been done on that tree.
To clear the view for the cam i wonder?
wooohoooo!

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
that was done years ago, booni (I think between 2006 and 2007?).  It was a surprise to all the viewers and no comment were ever made about it (that I know about)

Here are some s'caps from 2006

RealPlay 2006-08-09 15-38-04-18 by aurospio, on Flickr

wmplayer 2006-06-17 13-38-12-50 by aurospio, on Flickr

wmplayer 2006-06-11 15-12-47-82 by aurospio, on Flickr

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »
I think it was never really explained why that branch disppeared.. one day it was there, then I think the cam was off air for a while and then when it came back, the branch was gone.

By the way - we have a second egg - as of about 5:00 pm this evening.. need to check for the exact time as I've only just found out.. so it's pretty much on schedule with Hornby  :heart

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Good news from Maine!   Thanks, Laurad.

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
It's great news and so good that it's so close to the Hornby egg-laying. Here is a video, about 9 minutes - by rgeegee (from the Maine WoW Forum) - estimated time of laying if 4:58pm..  :thumbup:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNxs_om-TpI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNxs_om-TpI</a>
rgeegee

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »

Thanks Nancy & Laura.
Just caught my eye is all.
i see even in 2006 there are some cut branches.
wooohoooo!

Offline jungleland

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
Wow, this nest rocks literally!  I think I would need dramamine to stay up there.  It's interesting that the egg laying time is so similiar to Hornby since the weather around here is still so cold.  Thanks for starting this thread.  Since I live in the next state it will be intersting to see what happens here too.

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Will this nest ever have a peaceful and normal day? Yesterday the eagles were off the nest for long periods of time. Builders and workers on the ground below taunted the eagles to such a degree that they were disturbed. Today we heard construction noises, which are normal at this nest, but no voices and no taunting.

Mom spend the night on the nest. She departed this morning around 10:50 and Dad has been on the nest since. It has been a calm day until just after 5:00 when an intruder swept in and had a fight with Dad on the nest. One of them landed on his back in the nest - I hope the eggs are all right.

Here is a 10 minute sequence, the fight is in the beginning.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJputijnWOY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJputijnWOY</a>

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
Laura, that fight was shocking!  The Maine watchers must be horrified and worried. Hopefully the fact that Dad (?) came back and settled on the nest bowl means that the eggs are intact. Yikes.

I watched your video and took a s'cap:

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Oh, wow, how scary! Dad seems no worse the wear but I have great concerns for the eggs.  :ecsad  I hope with all my heart they are okay.

I sure hope someone had a talkin' to, to those construction workers.
  :toetap

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 06:43:47 PM »
Thanks Nancy, what a great screen capture.

It was very shocking and came right out of the blue, although Dad was ever-watchful all day. There was no warning at all. In fact we were all saying what a wonderfully peaceful and normal day it had been. Having said that Mom disappeared around 10:50 in the morning and hasn't been seen since. Dad arrived with prey, it appeared to be a small mammal (striped tail - not sure what sort of animal that might be in that area), he didn't eat it, just placed it on the nest, maybe for Mom, maybe as reserves because he knew he was going to be there all day. Who knows.

He did fly off briefly after the attack, but not long enough to hunt. He returned and eventually ate the prey as it got dark, then settled down quietly on the eggs for the night. I do hope they are all right, one of the eagles landed in the nest bowl on it's back.

This nest never seems to have a "normal" day.  :nope

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
Yesterday the eagles were off the nest for long periods of time. Builders and workers on the ground below taunted the eagles to such a degree that they were disturbed. Today we heard construction noises, which are normal at this nest, but no voices and no taunting.

I sure hope someone had a talkin' to, to those construction workers.   :toetap

That episode sounds very disturbing -  :lumphammer8

Were they reported to BRI?