Author Topic: Norfolk Botanical Gardens Eagle webcam, Norfolk, Virginia  (Read 183383 times)

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: Norfolk Botanical Gardens Eagle webcam, Norfolk, Virginia
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Laura, yes I was watching - I had had the cam up for a couple of hours on my second monitor. The female had been very restless for some time and her mantle feathers had been raised, as they had been during laying the second egg, so I thought it might be a signal.

The male came in and hung around for a few minutes. The female was tucking a branch with oak leaves in around her.  After the male left, I happened to look over and noticed the odd way (odd to me, anyway) she was holding her feathers.

The screencaps that I took:

norfolk_2-9-2011 5.50.52 PM_01 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_2-9-2011 5.50.56 PM_02 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_2-9-2011 5.51.30 PM_03 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_2-9-2011 5.59.18 PM_05 by aurospio, on Flickr

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 02:02:46 AM »
Thank you so much Nancy. It appears to have been at about 5:51 pm, I think. Well done for capturing it.

Snow covered nest and eagle's beak covered in ice. We haven't seen the eggs yet today, so no confirmation yet of the 3rd one.

09:15

Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
Thank you to everyone here for posting the screen caps and comments for us to see and read.  This is a very interesting nest and pair of eagles and I'm just trying to catch up, so it's nice to have all of the things you've posted, Nancy, Lauara, Birdy, BBE,and Emc.   :thumbup:

It's hard to imagine sitting on eggs in the snow, but Mom Norfolk is there with snow/ice on her nose and all around her!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »
The laying of the third egg on Feb. 9 was confirmed. Eggs should hatch about the 35th day, so mark your calendars:   :ecsmile

Egg #1 - Laid Feb. 3 = hatch +/- Mar. 10

Egg #2 - Laid Feb. 6 = hatch +/- Mar. 13

Egg #3 - Laid Feb. 9 = hatch +/- Mar. 16

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
The snow has melted and it is a windy day at the nest at 4:16 p.m.  From the chat this is Dad on duty.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqlCteBHUY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqlCteBHUY</a>
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
Thanks so much for those laying and expected hatch dates BBE - much appreciated (3rd hatch date is on someone's birthday  :eclol).

This is a really beautiful nest with a beautiful pair of eagles in a beautiful location - but.......... that does not mean it is not without it's drama and tragedy. They actually layed two clutches last year (or the year before) when one failed.. it just shows, never give up hope. The cam operators are zooming in and out a lot of the time which gives us some amazing photo opportunities. Lack of sound is a big drawback, but I'm told it's near an airport and that we're better off not hearing - I might want to dispute that, though.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
Yes, someone will be celebrating on the day the 3rd egg is due to hatch (and maybe Mum and Dad Norfolk too)  :eclol

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
This is a really beautiful nest with a beautiful pair of eagles in a beautiful location - but.......... that does not mean it is not without it's drama and tragedy. They actually layed two clutches last year (or the year before) when one failed.. it just shows, never give up hope.

2008:  
- first two eggs were abandoned when a female intruder drove Mom away (removed by local biologists after several days)
 - Mom returned, laid 2 more eggs, but stepped on them when dealing with a surprise owl visitor
 - 5th egg laid and hatched on scheduled - that was the eaglet that developed avian pox. Buddy is now an educational eagle at the Wildlife Center of Virginia

Buddy's story, from the WCV archives: http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/buddy/

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
February 19, 2011

From 3:14 p.m. EST - sunny, but windy at their nest. The chat indicates that this is the female.

Video of the Female on the nest

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »
The Norfolk eagles are due to have their first hatch soon, any time from today.. :)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
This nest always is worth watching!  Thanks for the update, Laurad!   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »
First eaglet has hatched!  The official time is 11:25 AM EDT.  March 13, 2011

I just watched (2:50 P.M.) as Mom Norfolk tried to feed fish to the eaglet - I am not sure if s/he actually swallowed any, but s/he sure tried to connect.

Mom gets up and looks down at eaglet#1

norfolk_feeding first eaglet_13March2011_3-13-2011 2.51.56 PM_06 by aurospio, on Flickr

When Mom decided the eaglet might be ready to eat, she pulled a fish closer and offered bites - some of those bites looked kinda big!

norfolk_feeding first eaglet_13March2011_3-13-2011 2.54.42 PM_29 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_feeding first eaglet_13March2011_3-13-2011 2.55.00 PM_35 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_feeding first eaglet_13March2011_3-13-2011 2.57.18 PM_59 by aurospio, on Flickr

norfolk_feeding first eaglet_13March2011_3-13-2011 2.57.32 PM_64 by aurospio, on Flickr

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
 :heart  thanks Nancy. Such a loving, caring and tender Mum. 

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
3-13-11 at 11:25 Am the first egg at Norfolk was hatched

Mom does first feeding...

"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
Sweet little fuzzy face!   :eclove