Author Topic: iPad and iPhone Discussion and Self Help  (Read 67222 times)

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: iPad and iPhone Discussion and Self Help
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
Thank you luvthebirds, I guess I never looked closely at all of the stars etc.. going to have a bit more fun with it now. I thought I had to keep starting from the beginning each time. Another fun one is "cut the rope" have you seen that?

Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
I am using the "note" that came with the iphone.  Type is used.

My iphone is not the latest, can't create movies, so can't use Skype.
I'll look for "angry birds"and the other game mentioned.
To clean any Apple screen, use iKlear spray with micro fiber cloth or other cloths mentioned on label.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
iPhone
You probably found it by now..
Settings
General
Accessibility
Large Text - I tried 24 pt and it was all nice and large and readable.

I don't find Accessibility on my model. :(

beth
from California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
Oh dear.. sorry emc.. but I would have thought that increasing the size of text would have been a given thing no matter what model. We don't all have perfect vision. I think mine is iPhone 4.

What did you mean when you said "Type is used"?

I'm using a bottle of screen clean that we purchased when buying the flat screen TV.. hopefully it is all right  :nod2

It's called: Monster Screenclean - Safe effective display cleaning kit for portable electronics.  :pray2 We sure do have greasy fingers  :eclol

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »
That cleaner sounds good too, Laurad.
Luv was asking re: note. if you typed your notes or wrote with finger or stylus.  Type

I found a way to make the print larger for emails, but not otherwise.  So what I do is enlarge page by spreading index finger and thumb. But sometimes those digits then activate something that they shouldn't lol
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
Hi, I am enjoying my new iphone (as if I "needed" another apple device!  :ecnono)  Well, anyway.... for you all who have been trying to watch the eagles on iphone or ipad... here is my valentine  :heart  to you.....

Shortly after I got my ipad, i bought a browser that was supposed to be able to translate flash to html5 for watching on iphone/ipad.  I tried it on wildearth and our website with no luck.  :sad  But I did not delete the browser.  So I got to thinking..... let's try again...  well, still would not work with wildearth,  :sad, however it does work with the ustream website!  (While ustream does have an app for their cams, not all work on it, ours being one of those.  It does work for a lot of their cams and is free to download.)   So.....  I could watch our Hornby Eagles on my iphone and ipad!  It also worked with the chatango page cam, but you hear the chat pingy noise if you use that site. (chat does not show, and could not turn off chat controls).  The browser is "Skyfire".  When I bought it, it was for iphone, but worked on my ipad.  When I got my iphone, I moved it there from itunes so have it on both devices.  There is a new skyfire for ipad and the screen resolution is probably much better than the 2x with iphone apps on ipad.  But I am waiting to buy it on ipad until they have more sites such as wildearth, fancast, etc.  One bad thing is that I assumed I would be able to watch shows on Hulu, but Hulu blocks the mobile devices since they want people to buy their app.  :ecnono

I am guessing that you all also know that there are apps to bring up your own computer screen on ipad (and I assume iphone), which should allow you to watch your computer with flash, but I have not tried any.  (I think laurad uses one for her computer, so she would know more on the subject.)  The only computer I use is my MacBook, and when we are away it is with me, so I don't have my router on at home.  But if you have a computer that you want to access from your ipad/iphone, you may want to look into these apps.  There are some that will "wake up" your computer, too.  btw  My Verizon iphone is supposed to be able to act as a wifi hotspot and I may buy that add on plan and see if it will make it possible for me to watch my MacBook when we don't have wifi, but do have a 3g cell signal.  Depends on price and whether can do as needed, not minimum 2 yr as data plan.

Anyway, if you need your eagle fix while on your apple mobile devices, try skyfire.  :nod2  (I have asked them to add wildearth to supported sites.  Keeping fingers crossed...  But while on ustream our cam is viewable!)

and one more thing..... make sure to write WE asking when they will have their iphone/ipad app fixed!  It worked great until zaplive's departure and they still have not gotten a new one out. 
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
Luv, thanks for Skyfire info.  I've loaded it, and need specific steps how to watch our ustream cam please. :eclove
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
lol i am not very specific, emc!

but i will try.  I found it easy and very intuitive.  put the www.ustream.tv url in the browser bar (not sure what we call that)  if you just use ustream.tv, the click on the hornby eagles channel or search categories animals and click on hornby channel or use this url to go directly to the hornby channel http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hornby-eagles  
when the page comes up, skyfire will pop up with a film icon with an arrow, click to play   :biggrin6

skyfire has a website with support info as well as faqs and such which may be helpful.
skyfire support: http://www.skyfire.com/support

It really is easy!  although it is dark now, so not too much to see.... can practice on other ustream sites... I love this one http://www.ustream.tv/channel/owlceanside  it is an owl cam so is showing live now with owl in box.

hope this is helpful... :pray2

ETA:  I am on pins and needles wondering if this helped.  I am hopeless. lol

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
Luv, I got the owl channel.  Thanks. And I guess you posted here the link you use for our cam without chat.  Is that right?
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
 :thumbup: EMC!  Glad it is working for you.  :biggrin3  That is my favorite owl cam. In the daytime you can see the coloring of the owls.  They are really pretty.  :eclove  you can watch phoebe cam as well, although it looks like the babies may fledge very soon
Regarding the hornby cam.  Yes, the link is the one on ustream.  You can use the other link (http://www.hornbyeagles.com/chatpage_ustream.htm), but it is irritating as you hear the noise of the chat beeps in the background.  And you will see the cam, but not the chat.  You can chat on the ustream channels that are available on the ustream app, however the hornby cam is not one of them.  (and for some reason, there is no chat available on the ustream site, even at the regular website on my MacBook, maybe Raptor closed it somehow?)

For Hornby addicts, flash or not, where there is a will, there is a way!  :nod2

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »
Ooh! glad to hear Phoebe the hummingbird can be seen too.  Let us know about any others you find.  You're doing a great job checking out the site!
I saw parent owl stand up and turn 6 eggs!  :eclove

eta:
Father owl came in.  I missed his arrival so didn't see if he brought food.  But they mated.  Guess Dad doesn 't think 6 eggs are enough.  This cam doesn't appear to be the Starr Ranch Barn Owl cam.
beth
from California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:03 AM »
Thanks luvthebirds, lots of useful info and I will look into buying the other browser. One of my favourite cams is the Maine Bald Eagle cam. We used to be able to watch it with the Ustrem App, but for some reason cannot any more. I wonder why the app works for some cams and not all. See if you can view this cam with your new browser.

CAM Link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brieaglcam

The program I use to access my mother's computer to help her remotely, and can also access my own PC when I am out is Teamviewer, but it's a bit of a hassle to try and view the cams that way and of course there would be no sound.

Emc the Starr Ranch dad is at it all the time even when she is incubating. I'm told it's their way of bonding and showing affection for one another. :)

I've been having more fun with Angry Birds.. I didn't really ever try to get 3 stars, but am now - and it seems that the fewer birds you use to get the pigs the higher the score.. ? Very cute game.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 08:58:51 AM »
The Maine cam works.  Also saw a birdfeeder cam in Italy:)
beth
from California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
How does the Maine cam work, emc? I have the Ustream app, but I don't know how to inter the URL. If I click on the link I quoted above, it opens a Ustream page and then I get a message saying Ustream is not supported on the iPad. It used to be so I don't know what's different or how to get it to work.. any ideas? What steps do you take to view it? Which browser? When I try with Safari I get this message, "currently this video is only viewable in Flash :("

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
Thru Skyfire app.  It's only 2.99 at most in US, can't remember.  After you get Skyfire, touch the link here that you gave, select copy.  Go to Skyfire, it will ask if you want to open what is on clipboard. Yes

No one home on Maine when I looked.  Hummers about to fledge, one getting "air" flappercizing.
beth
from California