Author Topic: iPad and iPhone Discussion and Self Help  (Read 67223 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
iPad and iPhone Discussion and Self Help
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
iPad and iPhone are becoming popular, and some of us use them to view the forum and have watched the cam before.

This topic is for us to help each other with helpful tips.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: iPad and iPhone Discussion and Self Help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
Always turn your iphone to landscape(sideways) when possible to obtain larger keyboard.
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
LOL, EMC, I was going to suggest this thread!  Thanks.  Actually, I am on my iPad (as usual :ecsmile) now.  I am without my regular "maccie"  for a few days, so "paddie" will be doing extra duty.  Had to take in maccie for some things to be done and the store was as busy as a beehive!

There are a few drawbacks to paddie.  Namely no flash so sure miss the cams, and I still drive myself crazy on the keyboard.  I like to type with both hands and I am always getting an n or m in between words. Grr.  Guess I somehow swipe or touch them as I am typing.  So I am trying to just use different technique.  And I suppose i may need to buy a word processing program, although I have gotten by so far.  But these are minor issues compared to how great paddie is!  :heart

EMC, thanks for the hint for when I get my iPhone.  I use the landscape mode for all that I can on paddie, so I should be trained I hope.  And I recently discovered that I can wear my polarized sunglasses and still see my screen if it is in landscape mode!  Cannot believe I just figured that one out!  I was going to get some non polarized sunglasses (I wear progressives, so not a minor expense) to use for paddie, now I won't bother!
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
I keep checking for a flash drive ap.  If we got one, could we see the WEcam?  If so, I want to "lobby" for flash drive.

Yes, I keep touching extra or wrong letters too.  Two hand typing is impossible on iphone. One finger is about it, lol.
As a forum guide , I have also locked topics accidentally. :blush
beth
from California

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
I have an iPhone now - but I don't use a Mac ...

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
As Apple products, this seemed like the best place for the topic.

Nancy, welcome to the "Mac side".
beth
from California

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
If I had my life to live over ...  :sigh

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »
Nancy, welcome to the Mac world too - it just occurred to me that now I have iPad and iPhone, I am part of that world too, which I have been managing to avoid for so long. My daughter is a graphic artist/designer and works on Macs all the time. I have to say, I think the iPad is wonderful and robust, BUT I could never swap it for a PC or laptop. It's more of a useful gadget.

Typing is very hard because I too am a fast touch typist and whilst I can make fast progress on the iPad, I still have to ensure I go back and read because I find lots of mistakes and even the iPad tries to predict - wrongly.

I will be so much more cautious when looking at the Forums with the iPhone. Thanks for setting up this thread. Hope we get lots of tips and tricks, like what's your favourite apps? I'm always on the lookout for a challenging game. I play the solitaire games a lot.
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
Laurad:  I believe you know how to enlarge print.  Can you share this tip?

beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:37 AM »
Favorite Aps:

Atlas: for great maps of the world

CNN: World, national news

The Weather Channel:  You can see the weather for several locations.  Has hourly, 36 hours , and 10 day forcasts.

Voice memos:  really handy, recorded favorite sounds on vacation

Note:  I am a list maker, but can often loose track of my lists. lol
With this ap, I have a Do To List, Grocery List- that I add to as I think of something, then have it at the store.
Notes from Dr visits, etc.  Each on a different page and well organized without bits of paper.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
Games :
Some of these are easy, fill the time, others are more of a challenge.
Solataire
Sudoku
LineUp2
Bejeweled2
Bubble Shooter
Jewel Magic
Jewel Quest
Jewel Quest Emerald Tear
beth
from California

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
I am waiting for the FexEx person  :toetap.... my iphone is scheduled to be delivered today!

Thanks for the app info, EMC.  I just love lots of my apps, too!  Now I just have to figure out how to get them all on iphone  :eclol.  I just checked my ipad and I currently have 380 apps, 8,716 photos, and 2,003 songs!  :eceek

If anyone does not have Angry Birds..... it is so much fun!!!  They have a free version you can download to see if you like the game.  I am not sure how easy it would be to play on the iphone screen, but the ipad version is really great.  It is not a universal app, so one you need to purchase for ipad and iphone separately.  The app developers often create new levels and games and you can update the paid app for FREE.  And I am currently totally hooked on "bust a marble" (ipad app free), even though I have completed all levels.

lots of things to discuss here, and I am sure you all will have the answers to all my questions!!!

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Favorite Aps:

snip
Voice memos:  really handy, recorded favorite sounds on vacation

Note:  I am a list maker, but can often loose track of my lists. lol
With this ap, I have a Do To List, Grocery List- that I add to as I think of something, then have it at the store.
Notes from Dr visits, etc.  Each on a different page and well organized without bits of paper.

EMC, which note app are you using?  I have a few, but tend to just use the notes that came with ipad (similar to notes in mac mail on macs)  I got a couple that you can use your finger to write, but can't figure out my writing!   :eclol  Think I would need a stylus to write with.  I tend to type my notes.

Has anyone downloaded "Pages" for WP?  Been putting it off, but think it would make my life easier for poems, etc.

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »
Laurad:  I believe you know how to enlarge print.  Can you share this tip?

iPhone
You probably found it by now..
Settings
General
Accessibility
Large Text - I tried 24 pt and it was all nice and large and readable.

When I plugged the new iPhone into iTunes it immediately downloaded most of the apps I use on the iPad. I only have about 50 at the moment on the iPad, of course quite a few came with the iPad.

One of the first games I downloaded was Angry Birds. The only thing I don't like is that you have to keep repeating the games - I wish it would remember where you left off so you can carry on. I think it's the free version. I like playing games that have levels that you can save and move on.

I found a nice little challenge one that will keep you occupied for a few minutes anyway..

River Test - "Cramzy"  a cute challenge like the fox, chicken and grain getting across the river puzzle. That's the sort of puzzle I like.

I play a lot of solitaire card games.

Sleep Talk - lots of fun if you want to listen to yourself all night to see if you grunt or talk in your sleep. It only records when there is a sound. I discovered I don't talk or snore, but I do turn over about every 20 minutes. :)

I haven't tried Pages yet.

I have downloaded some classic books, but saving them for a rainy day.

My favourite radio station has a website/app and I can listen to them whenever and whenever.

I love the map that shows my location while driving, too.

I have a TV Catch-up app - I don't think I can watch all live channels, but quite a few.

I've got Skype and Windows Messenger.

I have Teamviewer so I can access my PC when I'm away.

All of these things on iPad - have not discovered to many uses for iPhone yet, but given the choice, I would obviously use the iPad.

I love "brushes" I think I paid for it - you can "paint" with your fingers! It's amazing.

What's the best way to keep the glass clean?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:15:53 PM by BBE »
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
from Laurad's post:
One of the first games I downloaded was Angry Birds. The only thing I don't like is that you have to keep repeating the games - I wish it would remember where you left off so you can carry on. I think it's the free version. I like playing games that have levels that you can save and move on.

I don't get your post, Laurad?  In angry birds, if there are levels you have not opened, they are shown as locked.  The level you have open, but may not have completed, shows open without any stars.  Completed levels (which you can choose to play again or not as you wish) show one, two, or three stars.  Any of the games may be accessed, and then within them, any level that you have completed or are working on.  The free version only has one game, but has 12 levels to play.  Accessing works the same, just press the level you want to play (unless it is locked).  I like that I can go back and try to improve my scores (some I only have one or two stars  :ecsad and I like to have three stars  :ecwink).  Once a level is completed (even if only one star), you can access the next locked level.  You don't have to go back to level one each time to play.  If there a different UK only version?  I have five angry birds games on my ipad.  :eclol  Oh no, I am so not hooked.....

ps  if you want to stop a level without completing it, you can press the pause and you will get a menu.  the bubble with the sideways exclamation points will let you choose the same level or any other unlocked level