Author Topic: Blackwater Eagle Cam  (Read 36637 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Blackwater Eagle Cam
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
Thanks birdvoyer, this nest and the Maine nest made it to my list of nests shortly after I started watching the Hornbys.  I haven't watched either for a couple of years now, they may again find BBE popping in on them for a look see how they are.

:ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
It appears that there will be a 2 egg clutch this year. Last year there were 3 and only 2 the 2 previous years before. All were fledged successfully.   :heart

First egg laid Jan 11th (possible hatch date Feb 15th)

Second egg laid Jan 14th (possible hatch date Feb 18th

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »
 :thumbup:
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Some interesting behavior on this nest this year too worth watching. Could this be a different male?   :puzzled2

http://friendsofblackwater.org/wordpress/eagle12/

We’re about ten days away from the possible hatching of our first egg. As we mentioned on the cam page, our parents went through a brief period where they seemed agitated by something outside the nest (maybe another eagle). They spent some time off the eggs, and we have to assume that it was not long enough to hurt the eggs’ development.

Then on January 31, the male brought in a meal to the nest (almost all meals to this point had been eaten away from the nest that contained eggs), but rather than hand it off to the female, he mantled over it and then gave her some when he was done. This is the kind of behavior we’ve seen on the Osprey Cam nest when a new male was at the nest or when the couple — which had spent the winter apart — we’re just beginning to bond again for the breeding season. It isn’t the kind of behavior we expected to see with a male eagle that had already helped bring about two eggs with our female. So we’re not sure what was going on, but we haven’t seen this behavior again.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Feb 18:  first hatch at Blackwater

Image is from their website:

Offline ccfan

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
Nancy,
Thank you for sharing the info on so many nests...I am in awe of your efforts and dedication.
Thank you
cc
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
yw, ccfan, but it is all just an attempt to avoid my "real "work ... (and focus on my avocation to learn about birds)

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »
I've just seen something extraordinary and distressing.

Both eaglets hatched within a day of each other, but food has been scarce. We have not seen both parents at the nest too often and on a couple of days in succession, the eaglets were left alone for one and a half hours at a time.

This morning everything seemed normal, the parent woke and left the nest. Both eaglets were active. Parent came back and shortly afterwards at about 06:31 appeared to kill and remove them both from the nest into the outer area.

The images are only 15 seconds apart and sometiems they don't refresh.

Parent incubated one of them then seems to have managed to get one back ito the nest bowl. We have since seen it move, but it appears weak. The other is lifeless and may even appear to have a broken neck.

Why on earth would a parent kill, or attempt to kill both eaglets?

I think the adult kills both eaglets at about 06:31 and removes them both from the nest bowl... but why?? Earlier images show her sleeping normally until early morning. If you go full screen you can see more clearly. The images scroll rapidly, but I slow down when it's relevant.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4lpl9nbDcs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4lpl9nbDcs</a>

This is just so sad.

Here's an animation of the eaglet moving around...

Then the cam went off air 10:58 a.m. before we saw parent return.

Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:16 AM »
Laurad, there had been speculation that there was a different male on this nest at some point. I don't know if this may have had anything to do with what has happened. (It was below freezing here last night so being left alone would not be good.)  :ecsad

Here is the blog from this morning

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/eagle12blog/

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
Thank you birdvoyer, I'm glad I wasn't the only one watching..  :eccry

I don't think the eaglet died.. I think the parent killed it and tried to kill the other.. If you watch the video you will see it at around 06:32 a.m. One minute they were fine and the next, motionless.

Well, it seems they have deliberately closed the cam down. I find that very odd too.. I do realise it's distressing and children watch, but it's all part of learning about wildlife and accepting what's happening.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »
I was still sleeping at that time and am not sure I want to watch the youtube video  :eccry I check every morning and was just crushed to read the blog when the cam was dark. It is so unlike this nest to have this sort of drama. I wonder if the competition for mates has increased greatly due to increase in eagle numbers.  :puzzled2 This is just so sad.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Laura, how distressing to have witnessed that!

Your video is now included in the Blackwater blog and being reviewed by the biologists.  I wonder if they will decide it was an intruder eagle that killed the one chick - it did look smaller than the adult that was there a few images later and pulled the one obviously dead one from the nest cup.

I immediately thought of Shepherdstown where a new male bullied the Dad out of the area last year (the eaglet died, but she was essentially starved, not attacked).

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Laurad, I can't imagine how you felt watrching the event unfold before your eyes.  The blog does say
 It appears we might have had an intruder eagle land on the nest and attempt to kill the chicks.

Thanks to Nancy M this is the first or second nest other than the Hornbys I started watching way back when. This and the Maine nest.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
I just read this on the Blackwater site at:  http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/eagle12blog/

February 26, 2012 (final post for the day). 
Our ranger -- who can see the live cam feed -- relayed the following news:
"As of 3:30 pm, the remaining chick was still alive. Parent was not on the nest at the time but soon returned. At 4:10 pm, I glanced at the TV and finally saw both parents on the nest. Male appeared to be sitting, and female chowing down on something. Did not see chick get fed, though. This is good, however, because I reviewed a couple hours of the tape from this morning and never saw a visit from the other parent."

The other chick does appear to be dead and is slowly getting buried in the nest material. Sometimes eagle parents remove the body and sometimes they let it get buried in the deep nest.

If the remaining chick is still alive later on Monday, we'll turn the cam feed back on.

:ecsad

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
Thank you BBE and Nancym.

I keep an eye on this nest even though watching 15 second refresh pictures is not ideal. I can't tell the parents apart, much less an intruder.

A lot of people are taking an interest and I have been in touch with Blackwater. Apparently they don't keep an archive of images or videos so were not really clear on what happened and I think everyone is now speculating that it was an intruder.

It all happened so quickly.. parent on nest all night, normally brooding, got up and left. For quite a few minutes the eaglets were wriggling around together, lively. Within a few minutes adult on the nest - apparently immediately into brooding position, but within seconds head down into the nest and a few frames later - possibly 2 minutes later, both eaglets had been removed from the bowl and lay on the side of the nest. To me the one on the right looked as if it had a broken neck. The one on the left seemed to move, but it was hard to tell. The adult brooded again - BUT.... there may have been an adult switch at some point or the brooding adult might have been the intruder.

I do hope the cam will go live again - I find it incredibly hard to understand why they would take it off air, but they have kept in touch and replied to emails. They say they might resume streaming tomorrow.. but then we'll never see what happens with either the eaglets.. or parent switches, etc.