Author Topic: Nest #22 Helliwell - 2010-2011 season  (Read 19932 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest #22 Helliwell - 2010-2011 season
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Which nest was it that had two eaglets, and one's feathers looked off?( am I remembering right?)

Two close encounters, one with a dog close, is definitely worrying.  :sad
beth
from California

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
MARS has a new patient.

In the early afternoon I returned to the site of the last sighting, with instructions to catch this eaglet if I could. I had company: the two summer visitors who had spotted the eagle this morning, Chris and Kurt, had volunteered to help me, an offer I took up gratefully since Booni was unavailable. They took me to the spot of their last sighting.

There, after a bit of searching I found a small poop-shot. Already dried, scant, opaque white with very little feces; and that little black spot ringed was with greenish.

The eagle was of course nowhere to be seen.
We looked all around for a while. Then Chris said, "Bet you I can track him."
Good luck, I thought. Tracking a bird?

But a couple of minutes later he called me over.
He was right: there were shuffle tracks leading a hundred feet to a small clearing...

And there was our bird: just as I had guessed, a newly-fledged eaglet. This would have to be the one from Nest 22. This sweet eaglet had not even fleaped: he had walked all the way to this log, leaving scuff marks on the ground most of the way!

The catch was heartbreakingly easy. My two helpers walked up from behind, the eaglet hopped to the ground near me, and in a second the catch net was on him and I had a hand on him.

There were no adult eagles around.

Here he is in Chris's arms, with a hood from Mishi's grandmothers. You can see the hood is way too big; but it served for the exam and the ten-minute walk back to the truck. I removed it once the eaglet was safely in a covered cage. (I'll know to use a smaller size next time.)

I examined him and found no broken bones, but lots and lots of parasites, an empty crop, and a terribly prominent keel. He was so thin! Carrying him was like carrying air.

By 4 pm he was in good hands; a volunteer from MARS met me at Buckley Bay. He is now at MARS, has been tube-fed his first meal, and will soon get a thorough exam.

I will post any further news from this eaglet in the MARS thread.

Offline cakiepie

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Bless you Wren and your helpers!     :pray2
Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.      Lao Tzu

Offline watermaid

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Oh Wren, I am so glad that with the help of the neighbors you were able to catch young one and get him to the help he needs.  Thank you for the report.  I find the work that you and Boonie do to be so very interesting and heart warming.  :heart 

Offline nan2945

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
thank you and the visitors for great work..........another save!

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
This sweet eaglet had not even fleaped: he had walked all the way to this log, leaving scuff marks on the ground most of the way!

wren, it seems so trivial for me to say "thank you" (and Chris and Kurt) for this rescue - but knowing about the difficulties that new fledglings have continues to be a real eye-opener.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Wren - what a moving story.  I have been following this story here, and hoped that you would be able to clear up the mystery and locate the eaglet before it was too late.  I am sad to think that this lovely eaglet was starving.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, wren and booni for persisting and helping - s/he almost certainly would not have survived without your intervention.

Wren, you must be tired - what a long search you had.  Thanks for not giving up - and I do hope that this eaglet will do well at Mars.  

Hmmmm - wonder what we'll name him?   :eclol  (Some variations of Helliwell come to mind)  :eceek  I am sure that honour will be yours and booni's!

ETA:  Helliwell Park is one of my favourite places on Hornby.  Next time I visit there I will think of this eaglet and your search for him.
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
We are so grateful to Chris and Kurt for noticing the eagles difficulties and alerting you!  :eclove
 Is it by word of mouth that the people on the island know who to call?

Good work team for the safe catch and transport. Another eaglet in good hands. Does it have a name, nickname?

Looking forward to hearing good reports on this little one.  :ecsmile
beth
from California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »
Wren and Chris and Kurk!

Thank you for your willingness to get involved!  :eclove

The story and pictures tug at my heart. We know that the eaglet is in good hands now and if he/she is to fly free the stay at MARS is just the ticket.

From my heart to yours,
Rajame :hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline jefferyb

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
Oh wren, That is so awesome! Poor little birdy :( He is in great hands. Thank you for your actions, your helpers, and MARS! Look forward to hearing updates on this.
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
My heart is glad with this great news. Thank you HEART, and thanks to Mishi's elders for making the kit that was used for this rescue  :heart
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
This rescue was much easier than Decker's for me, in part because my marching orders were crystal-clear; for this part I thank Maj and Reg from MARS for their kindness, knowledge and patience.

But a big part of the added certainty was this: I had the right gear, and this gear had come to me through love.

I had a big dog carrier that Madrona kindly gave to us.

I had beautiful falconry gloves, a gift from HEG.

I had a fishing net, lined with muslin to prevent feather damage, a gift from Booni.

I had bandaging material to deal with a broken wing if that is what I found, also a gift from HEG - a gift from you all.

Inside these things I felt your support - all of you.

Thank you.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »
Wren, thank you and Chris and Kurt for rescuing the Helliwell eaglet today.  I'm so glad you had the equipment you needed and help from MARS for the procedures.  As you mentiond, you certainly are not alone on these missions...many hearts are with you when you go on a H.E.A.R.T rescue!   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
((((wren))))
beth
from California

Offline ccfan

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
(((((Wren, Chris & Kurt))))
(((((HEG, HEART, MARS & NIWRA)))))
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.