Author Topic: Shingle Spit Nest - 2010-2011 season  (Read 33542 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Shingle Spit Nest - 2011 season
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
Passerine, the eagles I saw courting and mating around this nest until a few weeks ago had pure white heads and tails.
If this is a sub-adult, then he or she is a visitor. Could be an offspring of the same eagles when they were nesting at a different site nearby - this nest here is only in its second year, but I believe it's still the territory of old nest #1.

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
TY Wren, i should have read back. :ecsmile

Offline ccfan

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
WREN + NEW CAMERA = :thumbup:
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
I still believe it's at least partly dirt on this eagle's head, though... There are dark streaks on just one side of the beak, and kind of a darker rim on the feathers, as if from a stain that has dried out. The tail is definitely tipped with natural brown, on the other hand.

So, a sub-adult or young adult who needs a good bath?

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »

wren, one thing i*ve realized, thanks to AJL, is that all Eagles are having their birthdays right now!
i believe this Eagle was a sub adult, but is now a five year old adult.
They still have traces of brown in their head feathering.
Look at the forehead area.
& then on both the left & right side, which you*ve photographed so handily, there is the same crescent shaped brown marking.
Looks to be some dark feathering under the beak area as well.
Then the brown marking at the tips of the tail feathers.
i*d say an adult Eagle!, just turned!
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »
Today I was working near Shingle Spit for a few hours, and I was able to take my good camera with me!
At one point something pale caught my eye, on one of the perch trees of Shingle Spit territory. This bird had a really pale belly... It was hard to judge the size... a red-tailed hawk? the first peregrine falcon of the season?
I focused my lens on it, and knew right away who it was!
Not a hawk, not a falcon: a young eagle! This is the youngster I call White-Belly. I've spotted him (or her) a few times this spring, and Booni may have seen the same individual near Ford Cove, which isn't far away from where I took this picture...

Not a very clear one, unfortunately, but by the time I'd adjusted my camera's settings, this beautiful and unusual bird had vanished.

I'm seeing some streaks of white on the head feathers, and at the base of the tail feathers, and a mask so dark it looks like sunglasses!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Thank you for explaining the ID and markings for us, Wren.  You did a good job of getting a photo in a hurry!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »

Then later on I saw another eagle in the same area...

This one looks like a male to me... smaller around the beak. Maybe he's Dad Shingle Spit?
But I've been trying to figure out what I'm seeing to the right side of his tail.

I have three pictures I took over the space of about as many minutes, and that thing is placed exactly the same in all of them.
I looked and looked and finally saw that he seems to be standing on just one foot!
Is that his other foot, then, stretched down and across the back of his tail???

Booni, you would know?

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »

Wren, fantastic catch with White Belly!
If this Eagle hangs around this area from the ferry to Ford Cove, i wonder who*s young he is?
Way to go getting a good foto of them!
That is indeed a very distinctive white belly.
i wonder too if this is the same individual i photographed at Ford Cove!

Now, your second Eagle.
That is indeed a puzzle about what is to the right of his tail.
To me it looks as though he is standing on his right foot while his left is tucked up against his belly.
That is definitely not his foot to the right of his tail.
Is it perhaps the primaries of his right wing we are seeing?
It is a bit of a strange angle for them to be at, over his tail like that, but maybe he is standing a bit more sideways to his right than it appears, & so he is showing those feather tips?

Now, i want to point out his tail feathers!
Look at the dark tips!
Is this an Eagle who has recently turned adult?

Excellent fotos wren!!
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
Thanks for setting down your impressions about those two young eagles, Booni! I think the second one is indeed a sub-adult or a new adult, with a bit of an eyestripe (I first took it for a shadow) and lots of dark tips on his tail (I first took them for overlapping wing feathers, but they are not.)

Look at the petticoats on his right (our left) - the way they overlap the branch. Do they do that when eagles tuck their foot up? (His petticoats have a lot of brown too.)

I wonder if that's the male of the Windy Point territory, then? this was close to the boundary of that pair. I remember Jen's impression that the male had a dark tail...

And I would loooove to see your picture of the white-bellied eagle, so we can check if it's the same one!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »

wren, all the fotos i got that day are under the Nest #32 thread HERE

As for the petticoat feathers hanging over the perch branch, i can*t say as i*ve noticed that before.
i guess it is to do with the angle he is sitting on the branch at?
Maybe related to how his right wing feathers are showing up where they do?
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
Catching up on postings... Back to August 9...

A small seal carcass washed up on the beach the day before. I watched this eagle guarding it from above, and at one point, one vulture landing nearby. But mostly I was away on the water and could not keep an eye.
On the 9th I brought my camera.
In the morning, again this eagle sitting above the carcass.
This is a busy, busy place in the summer, a dock nearby, people driving and walking back and forth until close to sunset.

At the quiet time at the end of the day I finally took this picture.

I've a fancy this could be Mom Shingle Spit... With her long head feathers similar to Mom Hornby's... Still in her territory despite no eaglets? I saw a pair of adults here from time to time, all summer long.

I was hoping that she would finally go to her meal, but no, she was waiting me out, so I left her in peace.
So this is one example where human activity is preventing eagles from feeding.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
Very nice picture, Wren.  I imagine that eagles don't like to share their beach with people, dogs or other 'foreigners!'
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir