Author Topic: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm - 2012 Season  (Read 11626 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm - 2012 Season
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
May 11, 4:54 pm.

This is all that remains of old Nest 6. A few sticks resting on a branch.

5:19 pm. I don't know who this is: an artfully disheveled adult with some staining on the head and tail, or a sub-adult? I found this one while looking for Mom and Dad Savoie, who had flown off their perch in the second pursuit in the 90 minutes I spent in the area. It could even be one of them... This handsome one is sitting on a low branch quite near the nest, with no protest from anyone.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
May 11, 4:34 pm.

A young eagle is feeding on the seal carcass, pulling hard for each bite and using his or her wings for balance!
There is a whole sound-scape with this.
The rhythmic rumour, almost like harsh breathing, is the sound of a family of young ravens, whose nest must be nearby. There is also a mechanical sound; I don't know what that was. On top of that you can hear some gulls and a nuthatch. Then at around 58 seconds into the video you can hear that youngster, between two bites, make that strange call that we heard in the other videos! Another youngster answers from further away.

young eagle feeding near nest 7, May 11 2012

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »

SCORE!!!!! wrennie!
EXCELLENT example of the youngster*s rusty hinge trill!
(i*m copying this to the vocalizations thread...)

Is it  possible that the mechanical sound is the sound your camera makes when recording a video?
i*m finding mine make sounds, unfortunately.
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:18 PM »
Booni, that's quite possible.

I found out soon after that I had the volume turned way up to tease apart the various parts of the soundscape. So it is possible that I was picking up the sound of the camera itself. What a drag... Another reason to get myself a sound recorder, maybe. I'm mulling on that one. I'm getting more and more interested in that aspect of things.