Author Topic: International Bird Rescue Research Center (California)  (Read 107200 times)

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
Re: International Bird Rescue Research Center
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »
I am! I love it!  :eclove
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »
Me also. :heart

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Me three (or four or more:eclol    You and IBRRC are making a difference.  I just wish there was a way to have the offenders help pay the costs for rescuing, cleaning, rehabbing and releasing the birds.  Is P&G still supplying you with Dawn dish washing liquid for cleaning the birds ?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone.   :ecsmile

Here's an update on the oil spill in San Francisco Bay (video of newscast).

video: Oiled Birds Washed and Released in Berkeley
Jean, California

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
i*m reading this thread.
It*s kinda heartbreaking.
It helps to know people like you are out there, rescuing some of these suffering birds.
wooohoooo!

Offline cobbler39

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:50 AM »
beans, you are an inspiration. We are so lucky to have you here, sharing your experiences with us. That an organization like IBRRC  is needed is heartbreaking, but because there is people like you and the others who work and volunteer there, it is also heartwarming. :heart

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »
Beans just saw a release on TV this weekend wonderful work you are doing! Thank You  :nod2

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »
Thanks Beans, it is awesome the work that you and others are doing. Thanks so much for bring awareness to it.

Offline cercis

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 01:08:32 PM »
I'm reading and appreciating what you do too, Beans!  It is wonderful to see how such things are handled by a top notch facility that keeps up to date with research and helps to educate others.  I'm sure everyone will read and enjoy these heartwarming stories.
--- suzi ---

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
beans
yes , i am reading your posts , the emormity of the work, leaves few words equal the task in reponse.

thankyou for the work and the information

I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »
I worked till 5:30 PM or so, and my last assignment was feeding the birds dinner.  All were fed!  We have around ten pelicans (including one large, cranky white pelican) and a Western Gull and Mew Gull in the Pelican Aviary.  Two brown pelicans inside the hospital, one of which arrived from Morro Bay this afternoon.  

No birds in ICU.  We have two American Coots in one of our spas outside. Had to catch them today with long-handled net.  They needed their blood tested and meds.  Not so many birds in the hospital now, but they all need individual care.  Some birds spend the day outside, but we bring them inside at night.  It was 54 F when I left the hospital tonight.

Part of an email volunteers received today from the Executive Officer:

ALGAE BIRD UPDATE

As of today we have released 257 algae birds and have only 39 left.  They are the ones that have infections etc. and are being treated for those maladies.  Hopefully they will all be gone within the next two weeks.  We had the highest release rate of anyone caring for these birds...

DUBAI STAR SPILL BIRD UPDATE

All but 2 of the spill birds that survived the spill and rehabilitation process have been released.  The remaining 2 are a coot who is doing well but sloughing some scabs from oil burns.  The other is a surf scoter that also had some burn issues also but is on the mend.
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
Beans,

It is possible that I will read these updates and every single time say, "Bless you and all who are doing the work!"

I personally know rehabbers and many that have done some amazing work, but having it here with the commentary is very instructional and my heart goes out to you and the others and of course the birds.

Hugs,
Rajame
 :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
Thank you very much.  A few of you may know that I was hit by a car in the crosswalk while crossing the street the Monday before Thanksgiving.  No broken bones, but my right side, where I was hit, is bruised and I'm starting to walk again.  There will be no trips to the bird hospital for at least two more weeks.

I just found this beautiful slide show on YouTube.  It shows the birds being treated in the hospital.  The last pictures are birds being released near the Golden Gate Bridge. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU5PsAMp8Ww

Nope, I'm not in any of the pictures, but lots of my friends are.   :eclove
Jean, California

Offline cobbler39

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
beans, I'm so glad to are starting to get up and about again. That was quite a shock to your whole system. I can only imagine how much your missed at IBRRC.  :eclove

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
Beans,

I had no idea that you were hit by a car.  It happened to me once and I was soooo surprised at the time it took to heal and how every muscle and bone seemed to hurt.  Blessings for your healing and return back to walking all the time without pain.

Soft, gentle hugs,
Rajame :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.