Author Topic: Fauna Native to Your Area  (Read 201857 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Fauna Native to Your Area
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the information and very nice pictures, Passerine.  I really enjoy learning about  animals, birds and other natural history topics and it's helpful to have good sources!    :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »
Passerine, were those two bear pictures taken in the area near where you live, or did you have to go somewhere else to see them?  Nice looking bears!   :ecsmile

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
They were on the property i was living on at the time, east VI. Different bear seasons too. :ecsmile

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
Thanks, Passerine.  I have another question.  You called her "Mama Bear."  Did you see cubs with her?  I'd love to see that in real life, but not too close!   :ecsmile

When I was eight years- old and we were staying in Yosemite, I rode my bike along a path and a mother black bear and two cubs crossed the path in front of me and were about 100 feet away. 

Fortunately, they were on their way to the garbage dump and I wasn't a threat to them.  I stopped riding and just stood and watched as they went on their way to have lunch at the Bears' Cafe.  (Yosemite NP did away with garbage dumps years ago.)   :nod2

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 11:28:50 PM »
Oh my tigger that had to be a heart stopping moment, turned into amazement :eceek

You shouldn't have asked :blush this is her cub, i feel it was pretty much the last time they were to be together. He was looking big & old enough to go find his own way. Promise no more bear pics :really

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 01:25:38 AM »
He looks too big to be called a cub!  Was he ever small, cute and cuddly?! :eclol

Please keep the bear pics and any others coming!  They are very nice, Passerine.   :eclove

I have another real-life bear story from when we were in Yosemite.  Stay tuned...I'll post it sometime soon.   :chuckle

Note:  It's amazing that I survived childhood!   :eceek

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »
Passerine: most of us don't have bears in our neighborhoods, so please keep the pucs and stories coming. It is very interesting to see the different wildlife that most of us never see.

I understand a few members have fox in their area, please pics and stories.
Moose anyone?
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
Mama Bear by Passerine is now starring in her very own puzzle:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=135.msg31100#msg31100

Thanks for sharing her with us, Passerine!   :eclove

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Thank you Passerine! That is so cool!  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »
I'm posting this on behalf of Sandor, who took this picture on the Campbell River Estuary (near the spot where the eaglet Rebecca, also known as Beck, was released).

I only have a link to the large version of the photo, so please click here to view it...

These are mute swans. They are very unusual in this area. Most of the swans we see around here are Trumpeter swans. Mute swans are not native to North America. They are introduced from Europe. They're the only swans with orange beaks. The shape of the beak is different, too. The tail is also longer.

Sandor took this picture in February 2010. The male swan is in the area again, but without a mate, Sandor says.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2010, 05:35:22 AM »
Wren, please thank Sandor for sharing his very nice picture of the Mute Swans and thank you for posting it here.  They are beautiful birds.  I wonder what happened to the female swan?

NancyM also has some lovely pictures of Mute Swans that she's taken, but she lives in a different area.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »

Sandor*s foto, from Winterwren*s post above.
Clickable.

wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
Notice the display in that photo, too: the way the wings are puffed up, making the bird look larger, is also a way to tell mute swans from trumpeters from afar sometimes.

From Sibley's Guide to Bird Life and Behavior, page 209:
"Mute swans from Europe have been introduced or have escaped form captivity all around the world. Free-living populations now occur in scattered locations in temperate and coastal areas of North America. At least one small-scale study has found no measurable negative impacts of this bird on local species, but the topic is controversial because if swans' aggressive behavior towards other species. In addition, Mute Swans feed on aquatic plants and, as populations continue to increase, may outcompete other species for food. The reintroduction of the Trumpeter Swan to eastern North America raises similar concerns."

Sibley's map shows several pockets of populations in eastern North America, but only one on the West Coast, near the Canada-US border in Wasington State. So this is a very unusual sighting.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
That's interesting, Wren.  Sandor made a photographic contribution by taking and sharing his picture.  Thank you, Wren and  Booni, for posting the information and the photo.   :eclove  We keep learning so much when you do that.   :thumbup:

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »

Here*s another foto by Sandor, taken in March.

wooohoooo!