Author Topic: Fauna Native to Your Area  (Read 209767 times)

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
Re: Fauna Native to Your Area
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
While on the shore, close to where the otters are often seen, I spotted this colourful 'creature' the other day. 

It is a Lion's Mane Jellyfish!  Named for apparently obvious reasons.   :really  this one was about 2 feet across, or more, as far as the 'bell' is concerned - and the total measurement across the widest part, including tentacles and streamers bunched up around it, was about 4 feet. 

Here's a close up:

At this time of year we often see many of these stranded jellyfish.  Sometimes they are around earlier in the summer, and that is not good news.  Their stings are painful - I was stung by one a couple of years ago, in August, while swimming in our bay.  I didn't see a jellyfish, but it had been stormy, so all it would have required was a piece of tentacle.  :sad

Because I was curious I did a little research and learned quite a bit about them.  Here's what Wikipedia says:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The lion's mane jellyfish (Cyanea capillata) is the largest known species of jellyfish. Its range is confined to cold, boreal waters of the Arctic, northern Atlantic, and northern Pacific Oceans, seldom found farther south than 42°N latitude. Similar jellyfish, which may be the same species, are known to inhabit seas near Australia and New Zealand. The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell (body) with a diameter of 2.3 m (7 feet 6 inches) and tentacles 36.5 m (120 feet) long ...

Click HERE for full Wiki article.

They even have a strange claim to fame, having featured in a Sherlock Holmes story - The Adventure of the Lion's Mane.

Today when I looked down onto our rocky little shore I saw several Lion's Manes stranded there.  No sign of the otters today, though...
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
We have opossums and raccoons for wildlife in our area. We are 3 houses from what is called a barranca. It is a deep ravine for water run off.  Wildlife use it for a corridor. 

This raccoon has been visiting lately.  We have outdoor feral cats that have adopted us, and so I have been worried about their safety, and the raccoons safety.  I have tried to feed the cats before dark and before the raccoons would come.  But this one is persistent.  When I moved the feeding time up, he said "OK, I can come earlier to eat".  This is on our patio right outside our back door. Pictures are taken thru a window in the door.  When I first looked out, I saw a scene similar to this.

Although he was a little further from the dish and doing a long reach to get to the bowl.  The cats either ignored him or moved away.  The cat you see in the pictures is the top cat of the ferals. A big "formerly Tom" cat.  His name is Blackie.  I call all of the Raccoon's Rocky.   Enjoy.

He "washes" the food

beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
Rocky and Blackie for size comparison, Blackie is a big cat, 20 lbs.

Rocky eats some cat food.

I have been interested to see that although there is water available in a dish nearby, he does not go to the water to wash the food. He does get a drink tho, when he is finished.
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Rocky is adorable.  He's smart to adapt to the change in dinner time!   :eclol
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jungleland

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »

Hi!  This is my first post.  I've been thinking about it for awhile.  I really have learned a lot from this site and enjoy everyone's pictures and chatter.  I've been lurking since before Phoenix hatched.

Here is a "Wilson" that visited our house this summer.  He was on the deck rail getting into some compost that hadn't quite made it to the bin yet.  When he saw us he hid in the plant!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
 :chuckle              He looks good in pink!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
Thanks so much for posting, jungleland.  What a lovely photo!  (You might be hearing from Tigerlady offering to make it into a jigsaw puzzle)  :ecwink

I've never seen an opossum for real - only remains in the nest.  He looks kinda cute!  I'm trying to gauge its size - the literature says around the same size as a house cat.   :puzzled2  (They come in many sizes!)  :mhihi

His left ear looks a little odd - was there something wrong with it? 
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
 :eclol Madrona!  You've got that right!  What a darling 'possum!

Jungleland, please check for a PM in your forum PM inbox in about 10 minutes.   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 08:42:48 PM »
Welcome Jungleland! That's a great opossum pic. :ecsmile. Hard to tell size in the pic, they get as big as a big Tom cat as adults. Because they freeze in position often when scared, they are seen most here as roadkill.  :sad. But we get them in our yard too.
beth
from California

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
Nice pic Jungleland and welcome. Glad you decided to join us here!!!! He is a cute little fellow!!!!

Offline jungleland

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »

Here are a couple other pics of him to get a perspective.  It looked like a very large rat.  Not that I've ever seen a live really large rat.  You can see him eating the rotten strawberries in a plastic bin.  That was what he was after.  It was very interesting!

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I am also a Donna E. , so I used my favorite song as a name for this forum.   :ecinnocent

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the pics jungleland & welcome to the forum. :ecsmile Madrona wrote a very good article on possums of Hornby Island they were introduced to that environment & are causing a problem for the native wildlife. There does seem to be something going on with his ear?

Possum link >>> http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=235.0

Offline jungleland

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
I'll check out the opossum link.  I'm not sure if his ear is partially black or if something was wrong.  We hadn't noticed it before.  He does look good in pink!  It was the first time we had seen one in over 15 years around here.  We probably wouldn't have seen him except he had knocked off a couple of small flower pots and we heard the crash.  I do find wildlife fascinating!

:nod2

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
Well good job getting your camera ready in time.  Thanks to the opossum alarm.  :ecsmile
beth
from California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »
Black Bears on Vancouver Island:• Remain the only species of bear not officially considered threatened
• Of the 6 subspecies of Black Bears, only Ursus americanus vancouveri is found
on Vancouver Island & nowhere else

• They are one of the world’s most adaptable animals
• Will eat anything that is high in protein and energy
• Can run two times faster than humans
• Vastly prefer burned areas to mature forests or clear cuts
• Produce fewer offspring than any other mammal (1-4 cubs every few years)
• Adult males home range from 25 to 150 sq. km, that overlaps home ranges of a
number of female bears
• Emerge from dens as early as late February or March in low elevation areas near
the Pacific Coast (because of our mild climate, many do not hibernate at all!)
• Bears are naturally curious and love to explore

Information found at: http://www.coastalrevelations.com/images/news/Vancouver_Island_BC_Wildlife_Viewing.pdf

Moma bear:

A different bear crusing for grub: