Author Topic: Flora Native to Your Area  (Read 53518 times)

Offline Faerie Gardener

Re: Flora Native to Your Area
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
I thought I could see a little bit of a Pitcher Plant-type of leaf in the picture. I agree that it would help to see more of the foliage (looks like some sort of aquatic grass in there as well).

Basenjimom: The resource you gave is really interesting, and it helped me to identify lots of unknowns that I find around here. We're lakeside. so I recognized lots of them and now know the name and interesting facts about them!  I love the touch-me-not, and now I know it can be used to relieve poison ivy! Also I.D.'d the Horsetail"  that grows into all of our flower beds!

Here's a picture of our Touch-Me-Not (now I know its real name is Jewelweed). It's fun for the kids, because the seeds explode when touched in the late summer (Now!)

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline jungleland

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
Thank-you everyone for being so resourceful!  You are right Blue more info would have been helpful.  The were several flowers in clumps of water grass near the edge of the pond so the water was not too deep. There were lots of water lilies nearby too. The beginning of the pond was kind of swampy and shallow. I did not get the foliage.  I zoomed in on the interesting flower.  Looking at the resources posted I do think it matches the Pitcher Plant.  I had never heard of that before.  It is carnivorous!  Basenjimom thank-you for finding that link!  I plan to bookmark if for future reference.  Faeri Gardner have you used the touch-me not flower for poison ivy?  Interesting and pretty!  Here is the only other pic I have from that day, a side view.

:ty  Jungleland

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
I found these Pitcher Plant images on line:

http://digbyphoto.com/gallery/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=189 - Newfoundland's Provincial Flower

http://www.nativeorchid.org/news200602.htm - Plant of the Month (bottom of the page) (Sarracenia purpurea) with some interesting information.

http://blog.visitcranelake.com/my-favorite/

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
Jungleland, No, I haven't tried the Touch-Me-Not trick for Poison Ivy but now I am definitely going to remember that one! We have so much Jewelweed, but fortunately have not had Poison Ivy in our woods.

One thing we did see in my former home in southeastern Wisconsin was an invasive species called Garlic Mustard. I seem to be really allergic to it, and I have a Poison Ivy-type of reaction to it. I'll have to see if I can bottle the Touch-Me-Not for future visits there!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Madrona, thank you for finding and posting the images for our comparison.  That really is helpful!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
A sure sign of Spring on Vancouver Island is this bright, but smelly plant.

It is, maybe appropriately, named Skunk Cabbage!  It has a certain odor to it!   :eceek

On a drive around the neigbourhood yesterday, I took this photo of a water-filled ditch, where Skunk Cabbage grows happily.

In fact, with the sounds of the water running into the ditch, I couldn't resist making a short video!  :biggrin3

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHr7I-KheQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHr7I-KheQ</a>
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:05:46 PM by madrona »

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »
What a pretty flower to have an unpleasant odor (if I am translating the innuendo correctly).  There is nothing more soothing than a "babbling" brook/ditch.   :biggrin3  Nice madrona.

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
Madrona!  thank you for the beautiful Skunk Cabbage pictures!  To me that means Spring is on the way (and I even like the smell of it, though I know some do not)!  

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
I spotted this unusual plant growing in our yard the other day.  I knew it was called 'Indian Pipe', but didn't know much about it. Upon doing a little research I read HERE that it is not a fungus, as many believe, but a plant that doesn’t have chlorophyll.  It is actually a parasite as it has a "mycorrhizal relationship" with nearby fungus and plants.

Here it is, in close up - quite beautiful, in a unique kind of way!  

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:12:38 PM by madrona »

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
I seen some of those on Hornby, was quite excited about the find,  they really are pretty & unique.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »

Lovely Mad!!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »
Those are such elegant plants! Wow, Thank you, Mad!

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
This is not flora native to my area, but I thought some of you might like to see the floral sculptures from this years exhibit at the Montreal Botanical Gardens.

Colourful, creative and the time needed to make them - wow

http://myvirtualgarden2.blogspot.ca/2013/09/mosaiculture-exhibition.html
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline linused

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
BBE That was fun to see the incredible imagination and beauty of all those floral sculptures. Wow indeed.  :eceek        Mad,  I see those Indian Pipes around my home. I always look for them and they seem to appear suddenly.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 06:05:07 AM »
BBE, thanks for sharing this. It is amazing! And beautiful too. People can be so talented. Each display was so artistic and just to think of the time it takes to create those works of art...mind boggling! I especially liked the Bird Tree.   :thumbup: