Author Topic: Flora Native to Your Area  (Read 53433 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Flora Native to Your Area
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
Faerie Gardener, that is a beautiful tulip.  Hard to believe that it isn't a rose!  Your garden must feel magical, with all the lovely things you have there!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
Aw, thanks, Tigerlady...gardens can be such a nice place to be, even if you happen to be a human!

Here is the tulip with its buddies, showing the tulip foliage (Definitely a Tulip!)

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »
This is a shrub that's a little unusual. It's called a Tree Peony. It has different colored blossoms than the traditional Peony, and it is not fragrant. This one is 29 years old, but it has been moved several times, and they are finicky about that.

Here's a closer view of this pretty blossom

Offline watermaid

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Hi Faerie,  Thank you for showing us a most gorgeous flower.  :heart

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
Faerie Gardener, that's a beautiful peony.  We don't see them here (Mediterranean climate).  Thanks for sharing them with us this way.   :eclove  That must be hardy one to be moved that often and be that old.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »
You're welcome, Watermaid and Tigerlady. It is, indeed, a hardy one! I was afraid I had lost it several times, but it is so happy now in a protected spot. BTW, after having a blossom in a vase for a few days now, I realize that it does have a very faint, sweet fragrance. A nice bonus!

Also, if you look closely to the left of the flower, you can see one of the newer leaves. The leaves are deeply indented, and the new ones start out a deep bronze color.  Double bonus!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
The Lupine has finally formed seed pods, and soon it will almost disappear from view!

This one is clickable so you'll be able to see the seeds close up with two clicks!:

Offline jungleland

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
I always take my camera kayaking.  I was looking for water lilies to take a picture of and saw this unusual plant sticking out of the pond we were in.  It was mixed with some water grass.  I had never seen it before.  Does anyone know what this is?  My husband was patiently waiting for me to take a couple pics.  A thunderstorm with strong winds was moving in and just as we tied the kayaks to the van the first rain drops fell.  Then it pour buckets!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »
That orange-red flower is a beauty, Jungleland.  I've seen photos of a similar shape, but not that color and don't know the name.  Hope someone can tell us!   :eclove

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »
No idea either but it is an interesting looking flower.

Offline basenjimom

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Is it the flower of the Pitcher Plant?    http://www.weeksbay.org/photo_gallery/wintemeyer/wintemeyer.htm

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
That was my thought too...

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »
It could be Spatterdock which has heart-shaped leaves like waterlilies. I do find the outer sepals and inner closed petals puzzling though. It looks like a flower that hasn't opened, probably because it has turned too cold, hence the reddish tones instead of being bright yellow. It is also known as Cow Lily and is an important food source for wildlife such as muskrat, beaver, deer as well as waterfowl.

Note: It really helps when you ask for an ID of a plant to give more information. What are the leaves like? Size of leaves and flowers? How deep is the water where it grows? And of course, always relevant is location.

Without some relevant information, it can be a hit-and-miss game trying to guess what it is. Another photo of the leaves would be helpful. It looks like there is something of the same colour on the left which is only partially seen in the picture. Was there more than one bloom of this colour in the area?
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline basenjimom

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:20 PM »
Looked at posters profile and found this link before I posted to verify.   http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/publications/wd/documents/wd-05-30.pdf   Hope this helps.  I'm sticking to Pitcher Plant flower.  LOL  (of course I'm probably wrong)  :ecsmile

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 02:48:13 PM »
This is where more info would help basenjimom. Pitcher plants grow in boggy soil whereas the yellow waterlily (Spatterdock) can grow in fairly deep water - deep enough to kayak on.
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.