Author Topic: What are These? Can you Help Solve a Mystery?  (Read 68600 times)

Online madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
Re: What are These? Can you Help Solve a Mystery?
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »
On a recent walk along a trail by the river estuary (Vancouver Island - Englishman River) I saw these brambles.  I have never seen a blackberry that had leaves like this.  Does anybody know what they are?  (Click for closer view!)

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
This looks like wild blackberry bush to me... Maybe one of those invasive species   that are slowly creeping  into Canada  :hmmm

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
Pojar and McKinnon list these as Evergreen blackberry (Rubus laciniatus). We have a lot of them on Hornby Island. They are introduced, like the more common Himalayan Blackberry (Rubus discolor). (The Himalayan is originally an Asian species, introduced via England. The Evergreen is a European species, introduced the same way.)

The fruit of the Evergreen blackberry is a bit later than that of the Himalayan, and has a richer, more complex flavour in my opinion.

We on the West Coast have a love-hate relationship with our blackberries. They are very invasive and difficult to eradicate. But they do provide us with delicious fruit.

Online madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Thanks wren!  I had done a little further research and discovered that they are indeed "Evergreen blackberries" - and invasive, like the Himalayan blackberries we see everywhere here.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_laciniatus  I had no idea they were common on Hornby.

ETA - some interesting info here with regard to these "Invasive Weeds":  http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/ec/ec1594-e.pdf
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline gzebear

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:40 AM »
I have received this photo in an email and have also seen it posted on Facebook with the caption "Baby Crow" ... (not)

This summer we had one of these adorable chicks in rehab. Look at the feet on that chick - they are bigger than the rest of the bird. Unbelievably adorable!

It's a Virginia Rail chick!

These are baby crows:

Still cute! But the Virginia Rail chick that we admitted this summer is just about the most adorable baby bird I have ever seen. A tiny little ball of black fluff - smaller than a chickadee - with huge feet. It grew (slowly), an injured leg mended, and it was eventually released - after an enormous amount of attention!

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »
Thank you for this, gze!  I saw that first picture on Facebook, and knew s/he not a crow but had no idea as to her true identity.  Congrats on raising the baby successfully.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Ahhhh look at the shinny white egg tooth on its beak. How cute is that on that fluff ball?  Thank gze
beth
from California

Online Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
The Rail also is similar to the Sora

Offline gzebear

« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »

O.W.L. posted this photo recently on their Facebook page, challenging friends to identify these feathers. I recognized them immediately, having seen them recently. Can you guess:

photo by O.W.L. Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
I have been hearing a harsh shrill call in our woods again this year and I would love to know whose voice this is. I think it might be a juvenile because I heard it last year in Spring til early Summer and now we are hearing it again for about the past month. I don't hear it for too long after dark and it starts up again after sunrise. I have seen a red headed woodpecker pair in the trees when I am hearing this call but they clearly are not vocalizing when I hear the call.
The video doesn't show any birds, but you can see how loud this sound is, since we can hear it inside of our house!  The wren heard at the beginning of the clip is just a little bit louder. It almost seems as if they are having a dialogue! First you'll hear the wren, then the unknown call at 01, 04, 07, 09, 11 and 13 seconds. Turn up your speakers!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06V8p_mmS4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06V8p_mmS4</a>
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Online Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
Frairie think crow listen to this You tube of baby crow

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQawu1sfKMs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQawu1sfKMs</a>

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
Could be, Cali. Thank you!  I will keep watching for more evidence!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon