Author Topic: Mushrooms And Other Fungi  (Read 46349 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Mushrooms And Other Fungi
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the information about the slugs as decomposers, Blue.  It's nice to know they serve a useful purpose.
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »
I tell you Blue, that is facinating!

I read it to Mr and he said, "Well, there's a porker out here right now eating a dead plum."

Oh yes, our yard is ecosystem friendly to a fault!  :mgritted

:heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »
Mushroom of the day

Scutellinia scutellata

Description This bright orange mushrooms is aptly named a cup fungus, the shape are like a cup. they grow on the substrat without any stem. this specie have large marginal hair and a beautiful orangish color, is growth they in group on wood, they are rarely bigger than 1-2cm. you can find it all summer but mostly when it have rained alot

Habitat This specie grow on wood usually well rotten and soaked wood.

status This specie is very common I found it on multiple occasion

edibility Way too small to have any culinary value and thus is edibility is unknown

other info there are alot of small orange scutellinia who are identic to S scutellata, on nacked eye , usually mycologist who didn't done a torough microscopy exam name them scutellina scutellata. Aleuria aurantia is also orange but grow on ground and is usualy much bigger.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:09:09 PM by NancyM »
One need to see what nature offer before destroy it.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
Jonathan, that's a beautiful color and very interesting mushroom!  I've never seen anything like it.  You have a wonderful variety where you live!   :ecsmile    :thumbup:

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »
I so enjoy these photos and learning more about mushrooms and fungi.  Thank you Jon and all the posters here - it is truly interesting and amazing.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »
Mr madrona loves wild mushroom 'hunting' - and every fall heads out looking for edible ones.  (Causing me some anxiety!)  :eceek

Before daybreak today he went to see whether our current damp weather had produced any tasty morsels!  He returned a little while ago with some of his finds, but I was more interested in the photos. 

He took some pics in the ancient logging area he visited - the trees that were felled here so many years ago had stumps that were over over 8 feet across.  You can see the old slots where the loggers placed their boards or planks to stand on.

The woods look cool and dark, and damp.  There were fungi all around on the forest floor.

Here, photographed at home on our picnic table, is a cluster of young chanterelles - 'siamese triplets'!  Complete with an attached small fern.

The chanterelles below are going to be cooked, I'm told.  I hope they are all OK!   :mconfused

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
I have never noticed the hairs on the Orange Cups. I will have to look more closely!
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
Mushroom of the day

Marasmius rotula

Description  No really much to say actually, this is a very small sized (0.5-1.5 cm) size mushroom that usually grow in small group the cap is withe and somewhat flat. it don,t have any special smell. this mushroom is often see a few hours after rainfalls

Habitat havitat is very variable, ground small twigs and leaves. rarely on large twig or rotten logs.

status this mushroom is occasional but easily missed.

edibility unknown but given the size of the snack it worthless....

similar specie some small mycena or marasmius look a lot like this but they alway have gill that is attached to the stem an something a conical cap

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:43:04 PM by madrona »

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
Jon, those mushrooms look a little bit like meringue cookies.   :ecsmile  They have a nice shape.

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
Mushroom of the day

Galerina marginata

description Small brown capped mushroom with a brown stem , the cap is about 2-5 cm, on ring on the stem, wich help to Id this specie, no typical smell and usually grow alone or in small group

habitat On wood usually rotten one , sometime look like it is groing on the ground but it from rotten wood under the ground...

status this mushroom is common during is fruiting season (wich is usually late fall) but the can grow in spring and much more rarely in summer.

edibility deadly.

info even if there are no similar mushrooms that grow on the wood an error by picking armilaria ostoyae (a large edible fungus that grow on wood late fall) will be your last error, because of the toxicity of the specie DON'T EAT ANY WILD MUSHROOM THAT LOOK LIKE THIS ONE!!

A very typical specimen

this specimen was never confirmed to be galerina marginata , but I don't know any other possibility....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:44:01 PM by madrona »

Offline OpieK

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
Thank you for teaching us Jon.  Your photos and information are captivating.

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »
Jon-I just love this thread about mushrooms. You are teaching me alot. Not just about mushrooms, but about photography, too! You're a great teacher. :thumbup:

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Jon, there are so many different colors and shapes!   There certainly lots to learn about mushrooms.  Some are very tiny, too.  You must be very happy when you find new ones and can do research to learn more about them.   :ecsmile

Thank you for posting the pictures and explanations.   :nod2

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
Hey Jon-I just wanted to share a photo. I don't know what this is, but it must be pretty common because they are all along the edge of my drive.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
Dizzy, Jon is the right person to ask!    :eclove

Jon, I've been wondering why some fungi are called mushrooms and some are called toadstools?   How can we tell the difference?   :puzzled2