Author Topic: Mushrooms And Other Fungi  (Read 44781 times)

Offline Jonathan M

Mushrooms And Other Fungi
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
I want to make a mushroomrelated topic in animal and plant group (I will add species daily...)
One need to see what nature offer before destroy it.

Offline RMB

Re: Mushrooms And Other Fungi
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Jon, I can't wait to share with you all the shrooms I saw in northern MN. I took the grandkids on a mushroom hunt!  :biggrin3 Link to my album: http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/artbyrhea/All%20Nature/Garden%20Mushrooms/
Enjoy, and if you want to identify some for me, I would love to be able to label them. We were talking about you in the zaplive.tv chat and hoping you hadn't lost your way in all the confusion! :eceek

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »
This will be a wonderful topic, Jonathan.  Especially with your beautiful photos!  Thank you for thinking of doing it here in the forum.   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline OpieK

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
Jon you photos are very beautiful.  I love your eye for detail.  It will be great to see your photos here.

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
Congratulations Jonathan!

This will be a lovely new thread on the forum, and one which I will be very interested in watching.  Your pictures are wonderful - thank you for sharing them with us.

Do you also want others to send in their mushroom/fungus pictures for you to identify and comment on?  There have been several beautiful ones posted on the Jigsaw Puzzle area which might be worth repeating here also.

fol-di-rol

Offline baysis

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »
Jonathan - I know this isn't quite the right thread, but I couldn't find the thread showing your wonderful picture of the spider's web.  Is it a funnel web spider?  I only know them as being from Australia & am intrigued to know if you have them in the US?

Funnel-webs burrow in moist, cool, sheltered habitats - under rocks, in and under rotting logs, crevices, rot and borer holes in rough-barked trees. In gardens, they prefer rockeries and dense shrubberies, and are rarely found in more open situations like lawns. The most characteristic sign of a Funnel-web's burrow is the irregular silk trip-lines that radiate out from the burrow entrance of most species. These trip-lines alert the spider to possible prey, mates or danger.

quote from the Australian Museum website
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand (Confucius)

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Jonathan - welcome to the forum and your own topic!  Already I see lots of interest.   :eclove  I look forward to your posts here.

baysis - Jon posted his photos in this thread initially (Your Photos and Stories) - I think this is what you are referring to:   http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=95.msg26411#msg26411
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
Specie of the day , Artomyces pyxidatus.

Description This mushroom have the form of a coral, the specie have a very variable coloration (white, cream yellow, sometime brownish or even greenish) the size is also very variable ranging to a few inches to about one feet. the mushroom don't have any special odor.

Habitat this specie grow only on wood usually rotten wood.

Status  This specie is widespread and very common whe can see it from may to october.

edibility the specie is apparently edible but worthless.

other info This specie is easily Id because of his shape , other coral fungus grow on wood but don't have crown like terminaison.

those are all my pictures... I have a few more of this distinctive specie
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:59:23 PM by emc »

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »
Nice photos & interesting too.  :ecsmile Does it grow throughout NA? It would be interesting to taste, wonder what nutrients it has. Do deer eat them?

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »
don't think deer eat it but like I say it not a fungi that is worthing to  eat... I not sure it exact range in north american but Im rather certain that he grow everwhere.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
A very beautiful and unusual fungi.  Who would think of seeing coral like growth on land. :)
beth
from California

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Jonathon-I just love your pictures. Every new picture is a new joy!

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
I think I have seen that fungus, or a similar looking one, growing out of bark mulch in our yard.  :nod2  Great pics, Jon!
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
Jon, It was so amazing to see your beautiful picture of the coral-like mushroom!  I had never heard of that before.

I then went to a website in Estonia, where mushrooms are a big deal at this time of year, and look what they were talking about ... the upright coral (Ramaria stricta) and the coral tooth (Hericium coralloides) !

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8227

Offline Jonathan M

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
I have never found Hericium caralloides but it  existing here, I have found another hericium tough:-)

thank for your comment , new mushroom tommorow!