Author Topic: Humane Society (United States)  (Read 12591 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Humane Society
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
You're more than welcome.  :ecsmile
beth
from California

Offline Doreen

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
thank you beans for starting this also, i have been a member of HSUS and donating for so many years, at least 40! get their  monthly news letters and pretty calendars all the time, also nice tote bags etc. have to admit i never can watch the cruelty videos, i get too emotional, truly affects me that i get nauseated, so hard to believe the types of beings that can hurt our beautiful wildlife and domesticated animals, very very sick people.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

videoCal-Maine Animal Abuse of Chickens

Some time ago I signed up for email alerts from the Humane Society.  There are many issues that deserve the public’s attention.  This is a particularly sad situation.   You can take action by sending an email message to Dr. Margaret Hamburg of the FDA that the cage confinement systems used by the majority of egg producers are a problem that affects the health of the laying hens and increases the risks of Salmonella infection. It's quick and easy! Go to

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/

and click on Factory Farming (about half way down the page).
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »

Video: Boomer's Story

Watch Boomer’s inspiring story (yes, it has a good ending).  Making a donation to the Humane Society will help save animals from Canadian sealers, dogfighting rings, factory farms, puppy mills, and other forms of cruelty.

This video is from the Humane Society’s website. 

More information here:  CLICK
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
Canadian Seal Slaughter

Commercial Canadian fishermen kill seals for their fur between fishing seasons.  Thousands are killed in March and April.

How could they kill these sweet, defenseless babies?  This video shows one calling to its mother and/or siblings:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetshU808k8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetshU808k8</a>
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
Another Tragedy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNY4Fjsdft4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNY4Fjsdft4</a>

The Humane Society of the United States has released undercover video footage revealing cruel treatment of animals and inhumane conditions at a Wyoming pig breeding facility owned by a supplier to Tyson Foods. The investigation revealed workers kicking piglets like soccer balls, swinging sick piglets in circles, and ruthlessly beating mother pigs.

Along with individual acts of animal abuse, this investigation also highlights the suffering pigs endure when locked in metal "gestation crates" where they cannot even turn around for nearly their whole lives -- a standard pork industry practice.

These cages, barely larger than the pigs' own bodies, prevent the animals from even turning around. Mother pigs are caged like this during their four-month-long pregnancy, taken from the gestation crate and put into another crate to give birth, re-impregnated, and put back into a gestation crate so the cycle can repeat. It's hard to imagine a worse existence.

Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Safeway, Compass Group (the world's largest food service provider), and other major food companies have announced that they'll remove gestation crates from their supply chains. As several leading pork producers are actively moving in that direction, Tyson lags far behind and still defends this extreme confinement. We need your help to move the company to do the right thing.

Please urge Tyson Foods to Ensure Better Treatment for Pigs.  Their short lives are so painful, it’s just not right.  Here's a link that allows you to send an email to Tyson Foods:

https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5403
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »
When I read this earlier, I just had to walk away... And I am not going to watch the video either. What a cruel, cruel thing to do to an animal. Lazy people, have to have the pig just where you want it. Seems like there are some greedy pigs in this story and they don't have 4 feet.

You would think the businesses would learn that this is not tolerated by the public. Are there still chickens being housed like this too? I know there were outcries for the chickens. And for the dogs and cats kept similarly in some breeding places.

Disgusting!
beth
from California

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »
Yes, chickens, too, and cows and...  

I signed the petition. I agree wholeheartedly.  :sigh
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline gzebear

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »
ALL commercial meat factories are inhumane - even if they don't kick and beat and toss, they have them contained in inhumane cages, spending their entire lives without sunshine, without comfort, without dignity. Who would ingest this cruelty? I never eat any meat unless I know the people who raised it, know that it had a good life. Stop supporting this industry - only then will it end.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »
In California you can see cows on hillsides grazing, and the feedlots, where they are shipped to towards the end are free roaming within a large space. Too bad they are not all given this type of life. It isn't impossible at all. There are other states that do the same.
beth
from California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
This is what we have here:  http://www.caldwellfarmsmaine.com/about.htm

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
Yes, it is doable! The ones putting them in crates and cages are either lazy, greedy or both! Or... Perhaps ill informed. That's my opinion.

:soap. Stepping down now...
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »
the pigs kept in cages story is a hoax.
check out snopes
and hoax-slayer.com

Looking closer at the articles in snopes and Hoax-slayer, they are talking about a different story.

Sorry for misleading anyone.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
A Better Life For Egg Laying Hens

Help Improve the Lives of Laying Hens

We applaud the introduction of S. 3239, the Egg Products Inspection Act Amendments of 2012, in the U.S. Senate by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., with a bipartisan team of original cosponsors (Senators Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Scott Brown, R-Mass., Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and David Vitter, R-La.). We urge Congress to act swiftly to enact this legislation. S. 3239, which is a companion to H.R. 3798 introduced in the House in January, will lead to major improvements in housing for 280 million hens involved in U.S. egg production, while providing a stable future for egg farmers. H.R. 3798/S. 3239 would phase-in significantly more space plus environmental enrichments for these birds to enable them to express natural behaviors like nesting and perching, as well as ban starvation molting and excess ammonia levels that cause respiratory problems, and give consumers more information about production methods right on the egg carton (e.g., labeling “eggs from caged hens” and “eggs from cage-free hens”).

TAKE ACTION

Please make a brief, polite phone call to your two U.S. Senators, urging support for and co-sponsorship of S. 3239. Look up your legislators' phone numbers here. You can say: "As a constituent concerned about preventing cruelty to animals, I'm writing to urge you to support and co-sponsor S. 3239."

After making your call, please also use the form below to send a follow-up note to Congress urging support for H.R. 3798/S. 3239. We encourage you to add your own thoughts or comments about this legislation in the editable portion, so your federal legislators know how important this issue is to you personally.

Several years ago, California passed Proposition 2, which greatly improves the lives of farm animals (will take affect 2015, which gives the owners of farms plenty of time to make the required changes).  Now we need a federal law to ensure more humane treatment of hens.  The link below will take you to a new page, where you can contact your Senator:

https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5583 
Jean, California