Author Topic: Humane Society (United States)  (Read 13083 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Humane Society (United States)
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »

The Humane Society of the United States

From the website:

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization—backed by 11 million Americans, or one in every 28. Established in 1954, The HSUS seeks a humane and sustainable world for all animals—a world that will also benefit people. We are America's mainstream force against cruelty, exploitation and neglect, as well as the most trusted voice extolling the human-animal bond.

Our mission statement: Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty.

We work to reduce suffering and to create meaningful social change for animals by advocating for sensible public policies, investigating cruelty and working to enforce existing laws, educating the public about animal issues, joining with corporations on behalf of animal-friendly policies, and conducting hands-on programs that make ours a more humane world. We are the lead disaster relief agency for animals, and we provide direct care for thousands of animals at our sanctuaries and rescue facilities, wildlife rehabilitation centers, and mobile veterinary clinics.

We celebrate pets, as well as wildlife and habitat protection. We are the nation's most important advocate for local humane societies, providing shelter standards and evaluations, training programs, a national advertising campaign to promote pet adoption, direct support, and national conferences. We operate a Humane Wildlife Services program in the D.C. metro area to provide homeowners and businesses with humane and effective solutions to conflicts with our wild neighbors. The HSUS publishes All Animals, a membership magazine, and Animal Sheltering, a bi-monthly magazine for animal sheltering professionals.

We confront national and global cruelties through major campaigns targeting the barbaric practices of dogfighting and cockfighting; abusive puppy mills where dogs are treated not like family but like production machines; the worst cruelties of factory farming in modern agribusiness such as confinement of animals in crates and cages; inhumane and unsporting hunting practices such as "canned hunts" of captive exotic animals; the slaughter of American horses for export to foreign countries where horsemeat is considered a delicacy; and the clubbing of baby seals and other animals for the commercial fur trade. Our track record of effectiveness has led to meaningful victories for animals in Congress, state legislatures, courtrooms and corporate boardrooms.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:13:45 AM by NancyM »
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Humane Society
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »

Video:  Celebrating the Humane Society

This video was taken from the Humane Society website.  The HS rescues both domestic and wild animals.  Currently, there are ten pages of videos on the site: click here for videos
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
This is a great addition Beans! Thank you!  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:36:03 AM »
Thanks Beans for the video of caged hens. I could not watch it, having seen how awful their life is in a previous video from PETA. I always by free range eggs preferably organic and I check first that the supplier really has got 'free range', an I never by barn eggs as a lot of suppliers keep hundreds of birds crowded into barns hardly able to move.  :sad

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Proposition 2, titled Standards for Confining Farm Animals, appeared on the November 2008 ballot in California, where it passed with 63.5% of the vote. Prop 2 created a new state statute that prohibits the confinement of farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.  Sponsored by the Humane Society, the law goes into effect in 2015.

I have used cage-free eggs for years.  They cost a little more, but the chickens live in cleaner conditions.  These eggs are better for the consumer and the conditions are better for the chickens.  Farm animals that provide food for us should be treated humanely. And this year the California Legislature passed a law stating eggs imported to California must also meet the standards of Proposition 2.  This law was passed to protect the California egg industry.

Some other states have similar laws.  I don't know about other countries.  Does Canada have a similar law?
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:15 AM »
I worked for Proposition 2, as a volunteer, getting out the word locally.  You can read a summary here:  Prop 2

Be sure to watch this video, very clever: Yes on Prop 2!  I exchanged a few emails with the artist who put together the video. 
Jean, California

Offline rheawalters

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear the proposition passed, but it's a shame that the deplorable conditions will be allowed to continue for another 5 years. :nope

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
The time frame was to mitigate lawsuits from owners of egg farms, claiming they don't have enough time to comply.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
Last night, the U.S. Senate unanimously approved legislation (H.R. 5566, as amended) to ban the sale of cruel animal "crush" videos. These sick films feature women in high-heeled shoes impaling, crushing, stomping or smothering small animals for the titillation of viewers. The legislation now goes back to the House, which approved it overwhelmingly in July by a vote of 416-3, to act on the Senate-passed version.

I received this news via email from the Humane Society

Also, Legislation in California (A.B. 2223) will close a loophole in existing law that endangers birds and wildlife. A.B. 2223 will prohibit the use of lead shot in state wildlife management areas. The federal government already banned the use of lead shot for waterfowl hunting, and this bill simply applies those same standards to state wildlife areas.

Alternatives to lead shot are widely used by hunters throughout the nation. There is no excuse for continuing to spread this toxic substance into the environment and put so many animals at risk.

To receive alerts from the Humane Society, go here:

http://www.humanesociety.org/

Then you can click on the links to email your representatives about pending bills that protect both domestic and wild animals.  When you sign up for alerts, you receive email that is appropriate for where you live.  I usually follow up with a snail mail letter.
Jean, California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
Thank you beans! Thank goodness I did not know about "crush" videos before. I hope that the penalties are enormous to deter even underground participation. I cannot tell you how disgusted I am right now as well as appalled.  :mgritted

The lead issue continues to show promise. If we could just get federal legislation banning the manufacturing of anything with lead...

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
Thank you thank you thank you Beans for keeping us informed. I was just thinking... When animals do what they are hardwired to do, let's say kill another animal for food, many call it "animal nature" and for that they would be right. When humans kill, mame, etc. for fun, do we call that "human nature?" If it is, I am changing species!!!  :mgritted

Anytime we need it, I can start a letter writing campaign!  :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
If you want to start a letter writing campaign, your first step is joining (it's free) Humane Society of the United States.  You will receive alerts that allow you to send email to your representatives.  You can also send email to your friends for individual alerts.

Under Conservation and Preservation, I will post information about Natural Resources Defense Council.  By joining (free) you will receive email alerts.  I have received alerts only about California issues.  It's an excellent way to keep informed of local conservation events.  And the email alerts include links to your own representatives, so you can easily and quickly email them.  And follow up with snail mail, if you wish.  I do both:  belts & braces, so to speak.* ;)

*wearing both ensures that your pants won't fall down
Jean, California

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Consider it done Beans! I am standing at the ready keyboard! I hope others will do the same. We have such a great group with a force for good. :heart

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
This got me thinking about a video I saw on changing the world to an empathic society. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

:pray
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:29:41 PM by emc »
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
Thanks, emc! You fixed my oops   :nod2
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon