Author Topic: Safari Drives Part 1 : Nov. 11, 2009 - July 31, 2011  (Read 361087 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Wild Earth's Safari Drives
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »
Thanks emc - as you know I love the 'kitty cats' and the elephants.

This is a 33 sec. video of Patrick speaking about Induna ~ 00:33

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:21:07 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Anne

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
A capture from this morning:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:21:57 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
The Saturday morning (CAT) drive was cancelled due to rain.   :ecsad
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
The Sunday morning drive is 'weather delayed' - as in it is raining. The 'jigga' (the transport vehicle) is open and the camera is not protected from the rain.

Two birds have been visiting at Gowrie Waterhole (base for the WE folks)

Grey Heron [Ardea cinerea] trying to keep warm and dry.

Water Thick-knee (Dikkop) [Burhinus vermiculatus]

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:57:16 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »
Marc is in the 'Final Control Centre (FCC). He is panning the waterhole to bring us pictures of what is happening around the area.  One of a pair of adult Egyptian Goose [Alopochen aegyptiaca] are there at present. They had 4 babies (goslings) . We first saw them on October 12th.  

Goslings x 3

Video   (30 seconds) Adult Egyptian Goose and Four Goslings.     The fourth gosling is just behind the one third from left of the screen.

The goslings are growing up very quickly.  :nod2
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:25:17 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
Monday Nov. 16 (CAT) one of Karula's twin sons caught a baby Impala.  He did after taunting it; make a kill. He carried it up into a tree. I watched part of it with fingers almost covering my eyes. This is nature; but still not easy to watch.

The leopards, like the elephants have become accustomed to the jiga. Unless the jiga is driven too close to them, or the adults are protecting a new born = no problems.

The twin leopards are:
1) Induna (in-do-na) which means "headman". This is the first cub we saw which he said was the male. A 'headman' in Shangaan tribe takes initiative, etc. and this cub is the one that ran out of the bushes first when we first saw (about 10 months ago). Their Mother 'Karula' kept them well hidden for their first two months.

2) Mixo (Me-shoo) which means "early bright morning". This is the name for the shy cub that needed encouragement by Karula to come out of the bushes. Rexon said he picked this name because it was early in the morning when we first saw them

These photos are from the Wednesday morning, Nov. 18 (CAT) Game Drive. I missed the first hour.  Wonderful sightings of Karula and her now one year old sons Mixo and Induna. A sunny day and the boys were having fun playing.

This is Mixo, deciding to rest before heading off to play.

Then they headed off to play:

I am not sure which one this is; as he has his face away from the camera (face has spots, v's lines = ID)

Boys Walking Down the Road

One of the Hippos who reside at Gowrie Waterhole - with hitch-hikers - Terrapins

VIDEOS
1. Karula and Her Boys Play ~ 00:26

2. Runs Up and Down a Branch ~ 00:18
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:31:54 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
This evening I managed some time for the Wed. morning (CAT) Game Drive with Patrick (he of the infectious laugh) presenting, Herman on the camera and Lieschen in the Final Control Center (where the computers for the feed are etc).

I was a few minutes late and misses the black and white brigade (Zebras). Did you know that the 'collective' noun for Zebras is a 'dazzle'.

Then we were off to see the hyenas. Mum and her litter of three cubs/pups (both terms are acceptable) Two youngsters were playing on the termite mound and the third was being a little aloof. Poor Mum had a rough time keeping with nursing the three pups and a lot of jostling for position occurred.

Mum

Two Nursing and then the Third Wants to latch on too

After we left the hyenas we saw a Lilac-breasted Roller on a branch. There are five species of Rollers in South Africa. The Lilac-breasted is the most common one seen on the drives, we have seen the purple and the European ones; but infrequently. I don't believe we have ever seen the Broad-billed or Racket-tailed (uncommon to see) Rollers. It was facing the wrong way to get a good look at the colours; so I lightened the snap a tad.

I needed a snack, so missed the Kudu and a quick glimpse of a Grey Heron.

Frog-foam Nests are a common sight at present.  
The foam nest frog lays its eggs in a foam nest which overhangs water as in the picture on the left.
from
 http://www.bushveld.co.za/foam-nest-frog.htm

A giraffe having breakfast. I just love their long eye lashes

More to come.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:58:31 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
At this point Pete was in FCC as Lieschen had gone with Pieter to Nelspruit to purchase five (5) spare batteries.

They have been having trouble with the jiga batteries. They took a break to change the current one. So we were watching activity at the Waterhole.  There were two male hippos around. One on land (and i think the other one was too)

Note: in 2010 WE stopped transmitting through Zaplive and all archived videos are currently unavailable. it is hoped that in 2011 they will be available.

We stayed with the Hippos as Patrick was driving like a demon to get to were the lioness Sandy Patch and her youngster were.  Patrick said she looked well; but he figured she hadn't eaten for probably two days. We were only there about 5 minutes when the battery gave up and the drive was over.

And this was the view a few minutes later. All peaceful.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:33:41 PM by BBE »

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
Beautiful captures & play by play thanks BBE. The tour leaves at 7:00 pm our time? Is this just wildearths cameras or? I know these questions have been asked before, sorry. Is this how WE came to be running these cams started from this safari? Do you have a brief history or a link to one?
It's cute watching the hippos run with their short legs.

We should go there BBE or a few of us, :ecwink

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
I can answer some of your questions Passerine.  WildEarth.TV did start with these drives from Djuma, South Africa.  Aren't they wonderful?  
Here is a link to their about us page.  It tells of their beginning.  http://www.wildearth.tv/about-we

The drives are currently scheduled to be:

5:30 am CAT  (Cental Africa Time)EDT 10:30 PM PDT 7:30 PM

4:00PM CAT  EDT 9 am  PDT 6 am

And another one shortly after the last one

Drives can last up to 3 hours depending on weather and batteries.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:38:46 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: WildEarth Safari Drives
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
Nice job of posting screen caps and narratives about the WildEarth/Djuma game drives, BBE.  I enjoy watching the AM drives there, and when I can, the PM drives and Fireside Chats, too.  It rapidly becomes an addiction because we see so many wonderful animals and birds, as well as listening to the ranger/presenters and asking questions that they answer live.  If you watch, be prepared to see elephants, lions, hippos, African buffaloes, rhinos, leopards, giraffes, and many different birds, insects and even snakes.  Sometimes, there are very few that are out and active and other times, our cup runneth over with sightings and activities in the bush...it's the real thing!   :nod2

The bush is greening up right now, after several heavy rains.  It's Springtime in Djuma Game Reserve and beautiful flowers are starting to bloom.  The presenters often take time to show us these delightful things, depending on their own special interests.  Join those of us who watch the game drives/safaris and enjoy the unique (and free) chance to see things that few people have been able to see live up until now!   :ecsmile

This may look like a commercial, but I assure you it is not!  I luv watching this all unfold and know that many other people will too, once they find it.

Thanks again for sharing the screen caps with us here, BBE!!   :eclove
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:48:25 PM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »
I posted the drive times in the 1st post. If someone knows the times for the fireside chat, etc. I can add that to the 1st post too.

beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »
emc, thanks for posting the WE/Djuma game drive times.  The Fireside Chats are held on Friday and Sunday evenings at 19:15  PM(CAT). That is the same as 7:15 PM CAT, 12:15 PM EST and 9:15 AM PST.  (edited)

Also, Rexon, one of the WildEarth.tv rangers/presenters on the Djuma live cam. hosts his Walala Wasala show on Wednesday evenings at 7:15 PM CAT, except when he is on leave.  There will be no Walala Wasala on Wednesday, Dec. 2 because Rexon is currently on his regularly scheduled leave.  Walala Wasala means "You snooze, you lose" in the language spoken by the Shangaan people who live in the village called Dixie.  It is a unique look at the culture and traditions of the tribe, including cooking, dancing, healing ceremonies, family life and other very interesting aspects of the way they have lived for many, many years.  You can watch past Walala Wasala shows by looking in the WildEarth.tv Djuma1 Hotspot archives.
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »
Hi emc, passerine and Tigerlady,

Thanks emc and Tiger for answering passerine's questions. I have been out all day

passerine - Africa is 10 hours ahead of those of us on Pacific coast.  What we see at 7:30 pm is in fact 5:30 the following morning their time (CA).

ETA Feb. 26, 2011 The website and drive schedule links have been changed since this post was written. Please refer to the first post in this topic. /BBE

Enjoy  :ecsmile
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:45:15 PM by BBE »

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
Thanks EMC & BBE (sounds like a band lol). :ecsmile

Neat they got it all up & running on Freedom Day. http://www.wildearth.tv/about-we
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:47:13 PM by BBE »