Author Topic: Nest #15 - eaglet Decker  (Read 52115 times)

Offline Sunny

Re: Nest #15 - eaglet Decker
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
Boonie
Thank you for your continued work with the Hornby Eaglets. I am so concerned
about all of them, but mostly Decker. Your time working on them is so appreciative.
Keep up the good work and information.....
Sunny

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »
Click here to find a close-up view of Decker's tail the morning before he was caught (the discussion about Decker's missing tail feathers is posted it the MARS thread in the section on Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation).

ps: Booni is posting again! Yayyy! 

:ecsmile Wren

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »
Wren,

You and Booni are gracing us with your eagle eyes and talents!

Thank you!!!!

:heart
Rajame
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »

Can i even BEGIN to describe to you the thrill & awe i felt to be so close to such a magnificent being???

Can you imagine how you'll feel when you see him all well and being released?  Oh , you and wren and Doug and Sheila and Dan will have to be there for each of these releases. But maybe most of all this one..  :s*
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
What a day that will be!   Wren the photo should be titled "This salmon is MINE!  Stay away."   :eclol
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
When you say the poop contents were green and that is not good, can you explain why - does that mean infection?  Chances for Decker to get healthy and strong and released feasible given his tail feather situation?   What a magnificent bird.....so quiet and never calling out to parent.   Thanks for the closeups and we look forward to the updates :eclove

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
ibnorthrup. AJL explained to us that the glossy green poop is an indicator of advanced starvation. It's also seen in eagles that have lead poisoning or something else that causes their liver to shut down. Either way, it indicates that there is not much time and that we have to intervene right away.

Does anyone have more details or clarifications about this?

Wren

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
You're right Wren; his droppings indicated to me that he was starving, and that was borne out when he was examined.

He was treated for internal and external parasites (the first as a precaution). There was no other infection evident but clearly something happened that caused him issues with his tail feathers.

Most of the feathers are partly grown now, but two in the centre are delayed. He is doing some flying and gaining strength and weight. At his last weighing, he'd gained 1.3 pounds; that is very encouraging.

Doug, booni and Wren did things just right for Decker: the salmon test, careful evaluation, and quick action. Without their help and the excellent care he received and continues to receive, it is unlikely he'd have survived.
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
That was too close for comfort.  It looks as if it was only a matter of hours and then it would have been too late.  Booni and Wren, you are REAL eagle angels!  Yay for H.E.A.R.T.!!!!  :heart

:grouphug2

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »
Ajl, thank you for your answer.

Your comments also start to clarify the question of Decker's tail feathers - I did not know if they had failed to grow, or if by some accident they had been pulled off - your comments seem to indicate the former? Any thoughts about the cause?

I have seen an adult (at nest #4) with a gap of a couple of feathers, slightly off-centre in his or her tail (probably in the middle of a partial molt...) He or she didn't seem incapacitated... I guess I'm saying that a small gap in tail feathers is better than a big gap, and that I'm glad that *some* of Decker's tail feathers have grown in at least.

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Wren and Booni ... I am not worthy  :bow

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »
Hello Guest  :biggrin3

Offline lbnorthrup

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Wow......so glad you were able to rescue him in time........how sad.  It seems like many of the eaglets on Hornby Island have had mishaps.   Did you say you are testing the salmon to see if there is some sort of toxicity in them or if the water is perhaps tainted.......would be a sad situation given how much these beautiful creatures rely on fish.  I have always been against lead pellets from guns as well but I know the suggestion of using something else brings out loud protestors since lead allows for better accuracy.  There has to be some sort of compromise somewhere on "lead-based" anything. :sigh

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
Wow......so glad you were able to rescue him in time........how sad.  It seems like many of the eaglets on Hornby Island have had mishaps.   Did you say you are testing the salmon to see if there is some sort of toxicity in them or if the water is perhaps tainted.......would be a sad situation given how much these beautiful creatures rely on fish.  I have always been against lead pellets from guns as well but I know the suggestion of using something else brings out loud protestors since lead allows for better accuracy.  There has to be some sort of compromise somewhere on "lead-based" anything. :sigh

Some states in the U.S. have banned lead bullets because of the danger to wildlife.  Several of the re-introduced endangered condors in California have fed on deer or other animals that were shot with lead bullets and the birds died as a result.   :sad

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Lead poisoning or toxicity are NOT at issue here. All 3 eaglets who were sent for care were malnourished, and otherwise uninjured. They all came from nests with twin eaglets. There was a lot of fish initially, but later on the supply became less reliable - at least from what we could see on the cam nest. On a nest with twins,  consistent food supply is even more critical.

Still, some of the island's twin eaglets did okay. These three did not.

So if there is an overarching cause, overfishing by humans would be it.

Wren