Author Topic: Nest #15 - eaglet Decker  (Read 48610 times)

Offline Blue

• HEG
Re: Nest #15
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »
That is too bad, suziq.  Welcome to the forum! 

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »
Booni, I am in line for a book with all your stories about sightings, and rescues on Hornby Island.  I was with you every step of the way in your post about Decker.  HEART is doing a wonderful job.  The folks on Hornby Island have realized there is a team of dedicated eagle watchers and helpers.

Nancy, thank you for the links to the hotspots of Decker 1 and 2.  I am going to post them now in   Doug's Videos from Around Hornby Island. If the 5 pm showing by Doug is any different I will add it too.

Jan. 12, 2012 - these videos no longer play.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:34:57 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
suziq, welcome to the forum. When you may be able to watch the videos we have them all listed on one thread.  Link is provided in my post above.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »
I'm sure glad you tell about it too as I never can get to see the videos. I'm on Wild Blue and ran my bill up an extra $ 20.00 one month thinking I didn't leave it down load long enough and still got nothing for my money :sad  
suziq, are you not able to see the videos which are hotspots, and take you to the wildearth?
Are you able to watch ones that are are YouTube ?  
I recorded the dolphin one , close up on YouTube.
Let us know if you can see it.  It is listed with the others .  If you can, perhaps we can make a designation as to which are hotspots and which are not?

And maybe record more on YouTube....
beth
from California

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »

Yes, Rajame, Stinging Nettle indeed has many medicinal benefits.
i think it is full of goodies if you eat it steamed like spinach, or make a tea from it.
i think it is good for piles of other things that i don*t know about.

Yes, NancyM, this is Enviro Mike.
He is in one of the videos i posted a link to on the forum, rescuing an eagle that had a broken wing, who ended up in the water.
He*s embarassed about how that capture went.
He is also the one who captured Niner, & the one who delivered Phoenix from Dan Hamilton to MARS.
He*s willing to capture Decker, if need be, on monday.
Maj trusts him to assess the condition of the eaglet for her.
i think he has captured 8 eagles now.

So, i was just talking with the man who first reported the eaglet to us.
He says there is a second eaglet!
i think this was who Mike & i heard at the Nest Tree that day when we couldn*t find Decker.

wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
I'm watching Doug's videos of Decker; as usual with this camera, everything is a bit stretched on the vertical, but still, it doesn't look like the eaglet had a full crop before Doug gave him the salmon head... does that put to rest the worries that Decker's full crop was about something else than normal feeding?

Wren

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Good thinking, winterwren.   :thumbsup

I am inclined to agree with you that the eaglet either emptied its crop or ejected a pellet.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
I went to check on Decker this morning, at about 10:30. I wasn't sure about the site... Couldn't see any adults... but as I walked the beach I recognised the log that was in Doug's video, with the bit of bark dangling from above and waving in the breeze. I poked around, looking for pellets or poop shots, but found nothing. So I sat on the log, clearing my mind of expectations, taking in the eaglet's point of view... and that's when I spotted Decker, sitting on a log a hundred feet further down the beach.

I approached slowly, head down. Decker was looking at me from time to time, but mostly he was looking up at something in the woods, up high and past the deck house. I looked in that direction and could see nothing but I heard some faraway screeps! So I think Decker may have been looking towards the nest, and definitely there are 2 eaglets!

Then I heard a sound behind me. I turned around and there was Doug! he was carrying his tripod and a bag with a salmon head in it.

Doug set up the camera, and I approached the eaglet, closer, closer... until I was about 30 feet away. I put the fish head down on a rock and backed up just a little bit. Decker didn't wait long. Straight towards me he fleaped.

Decker! clickable photo.

He grabbed the fish head in his talons and fleaped clumsily away. At that point he was using his right wing  more than his left, but the earlier video shows that this is not always so. He's capable of using both wings.

I edged closer and closer while Decker ate, mantling protectively over his food. He certainly has enough appetite. : :eclol

That's when my camera batteries quit.
I still went closer, to try and make sense of the spots I was seeing on his wing coverts. I ended up sitting on a log, 3 feet away!

Unfortunately, my guess was right: the spots on his feathers were parasites. I went back and changed the batteries of my camera, and he let me approach again. I have a video clip and a few photos, but I guess this is the important one for now...

Decker's parasite load...  :ecsad

Booni had asked me to check a few things. I saw that his eyes looked huge and liquid, not sunken. He was very aware of my presence, and screeped and mantled when I got too close. His definition of "too close" seems to be awfully small, on the other hand. (<2 feet!)
I could not see his keel (I'd have to palpate to get an accurate idea, anyway). His feet looked plump and brightly coloured (Phoenix's foot pads, when we recovered him, looked wrinkled and dried up in comparison).

When Doug and I left the beach, we walked around the house, then heard a loud screep! Then we spotted an eaglet in flight! I ran back to the beach with binoculars to make sure... No, it wasn't Decker. He was still sitting with the remnants of his fish head. So the second eaglet is already flying, and looking strong and healthy.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
Good work, winterwren and Doug!   :nod2

I would think that Decker would fly when you approached so close but maybe his hunger was greater than his fear - or maybe he doesn't know to fly and hold the salmon at the same time.   :puzzled2

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
I sure hope that he'll "find his flying wings" soon and that they'll be strong enough so he can join his family and soar!   :eclove

Doug and Winterwren, it's wonderful that you were able to find Decker and give him the fish heads.  Now, maybe he needs to go swimming and wash off some of those creepy crawlies!   :nod2  Thank you for the comments about his physical condition, Wren.  Clear eyes and feet that look good are encouraging.

It concerns me that he lets people get so close.  That isn't what Ajl has said is normal for an eaglet.   :puzzled2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline watermaid

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
Thank you to everyone for posting about Decker.  I am so
glad to be able to find out what is happening.  I think hearing about about the rescued and watched over eagles has helped  me
with my grief over Phoenix.

watermaid (Joan)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
Me too Joan. It has helped a lot!  I like happy endings.  :ecsmile :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline Doug

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
I phoned Boonibarb earlier this evening.  On advice from Maj, she and winterwren captured Decker and have it in a dog box, ready for transportation to Denman Island and on to Mountainaire Avian Rescue.  Our ferries to Denman stop at 6 pm while Denman ferries to Buckley Bay (Vancouver Island) keep going until 10 pm.  I suggested hiring a water taxi to Denman in order to get Decker over earlier, but haven't yet heard the result. 

We are learning more and more about grounded eaglets.  It is interesting that each of the three eaglets taken to Mounmtainaire had siblings who are fledged very successfully.  This is not fact but just something to consider -  perhaps there was only sufficient food for one eaglet in each case.  The first eaglet, generally the more aggressive one gets first grabs on food brought to the nest, leaving the second one undernourished.  But this is just something to ponder, not scientific truth.

It seems that the demise of Phoenix was not malnutrition but simply that it picked up the fungal disease, such that it could no longer benefit from nourishment which was available,  At least that is how I see it, but will readily back off if if corrected.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
winterwren and Doug, thank you both for your updates about 'Decker'. I was amazed to read that s/he would let winterwren so close.

So who has the eaglet overnight ?  Is Dooki 'chief watcher' ?

Doug your comments in your second paragraph re the eaglets having siblings who have fledged, and whether enough food to fully nourish two eaglets, does generate some thoughts to ponder.

Again to our HEART - well done and keep us posted.  Maj, Hornby Island is keeping you busy.  :heart

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
At about 6:00 this evening, Booni and I captured Decker.

Booni had phoned MARS and, on the basis of the parasite load and the history, the person there (Maj was absent) told us the eaglet needed to be brought in for care.

We spent about an hour gradually getting closer to Decker, trying to get him used to us, and also trying to make up our minds. He again seemed to have a full crop, and we had been told that if he regurgitated with the stress of the capture, it could compromise his airway. And at a certain point, he flew horizontally for about 30 feet - first time I had seen him get airborne. On the other hand, we saw a poopshot, which we were able to check up close, and it had some dark-green, shiny feces in it, and Booni knew this to be one of the signs of severe malnutrition. The fish-head meal was hours gone. So we finally committed to the catch.

I tried the gentle way, and missed... so now Decker was on to us. He fleaped away each time we tried to get near. So in the end we had to corner him between us. As soon as I put my hand on his back and pinned him down as I had been instructed, I knew that the hard part was over. I worked my hands around his body and gently grabbed one leg, then the other. I was wearing goggles in case he tried to beak me, but he didn't.  Booni helped me by covering his head with a towel and tucking his wings in.

On our first approach, there was an adult watching us from a nearby perch tree. We heard the other parent in the distance. I was surprised that there were no warning calls as we approached Decker; after a while, the parent left!

It was now past the time of the last ferry. A MARS volunteer - Mike from Denman Island - recommended that we find someone to take Decker by boat across the channel, after which he would drive him to Buckley Bay, where someone else would pick him up for the final leg of the trip. After several phone calls, we found a ride: the same Dan who climbed the nest tree to recover Phoenix. He offered us to come along for the ride! So we ended this busy day with a beautiful sunset cruise. Decker was expected to get to MARS at about 10:30 tonight.