Author Topic: Nest #36  (Read 4180 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest #36
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
There are many eagle nests on Hornby Island other than the eagle cam nest. Doug has done an excellent map of the ones he knew of when he wrote his book "The Eagles of Hornby Island" published in 2008. Not all of the nests on the map were used this year, & there are some nests that are active that aren*t displayed on the map. Doug*s eagle nest map

Nest #36 is near what is called Strachan Valley.
i have yet to view it, but i believe Winterwren & Doug will have some reports about this Nest.
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest #36
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
Nest 36 is at the edge of a dense forest, and is not visible from the ground. The neighbours can see the adults come and go, and they can hear the eaglets, but they cannot see them until they leave the nest.

The clearing neighbouring the nest is a working farm; the farm loses a handful of chickens to the eagles every year, despite the owners' precautions.

So, I had a conversation with one of the neighbours yesterday... She was starting to worry because she had not yet seen the eaglet branching or flying. It seemed to be getting late for this year's little one. Mom Eagle had tried to catch a chicken just a day or two before, so there must still be someone to feed...

Then this evening I had a phone call from this wonderful person. She phoned specially to tell me that she saw the eaglet branching and flapping and clambering on branches today. The eaglet is now very vocal and all seems well.

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
That is nice to hear winterwren. Sounds like all is well!!!!!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
Thank you Wren,

I am so thankful for you and Booni and the Hornby Island eagle lovers.

Hugs,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.