Author Topic: Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue & Education Center (California)  (Read 19164 times)

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue & Education Center
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
On their home page, there is a "volunteer" tab on their menu bar at the top. This is what I found about intern program. This is a link to the page http://yuwr.org/volunteer/

Internship Program
YUWR offers an internship program for pre-vet students and wildlife biology students. Interns must commit to 10 hours a week of volunteer time, performing duties ranging from animal care, veterinary appointments, to cleaning and maintenance. At the end of the internship period, a certificate of appreciation as well as a recommendation letter will be provided to the intern for submission to any veterinary school or University. A timesheet of hours worked will also be provided. During this internship period, the intern will learn hands-on care and rehabilitation of wildlife animals. An experience like this is a requirement for many veterinary programs, and can only help your chances for acceptance!

Also, their volunteer program might be another place to look.

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
Requiring an internship as part of the pre-application period is a good idea for entrance to a vet school.  That way, if they don't like what's required of them in working with animals, the interns will find out early in their career track.  It's a win/win situation.   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
Each rehab facility must have their own requirements to volunteer.  We have several members of our forum who do volunteer work for different facilities. I don't know each person's qualifications, but I don't believe they are all pre-vet students.
I was thinking that they were using the term "intern" for a qualified volunteer.  I was wrong.
beth
from California

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
Thanks for all the wonderful info here. I know a young person who is interested in doing the interning and might be willing to travel. I'll share this info with him. :heart
I'd think volunteering would be a great experience, too.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
I spoke to Lila Travis by phone to get an update re: YUWR and their status.

YUWR has been granted an extension until April 2011. :)  However, the landlady is asking for  a 66% increase in rent during this time.  A rent board hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.

One thing they really need is legal representation.  They need someone who is knowledgeable about the rental laws and willing to work with a non-profit.  They need advice and representation. (knowing it won't be for tomorrow, but need the lawyer longer term)

The property they were interested in purchasing has been sold.  They are still exploring options. One option is to use land owned by one of the local cities, that is currently unused.One of these is a pony ride area that has been empty for some time. Meanwhile they are still looking for a suitable property to purchase.  The bottom line is that they need a permanent home when they are finished.

They have received $10,000 in donations and many letters of support.  The letters have come at a time when they really needed the support and encouragement. They have boosted their spirits and helped renew their resolve. They are very appreciative.

Their 2009 Annual Report is impressive.  Click here  http://yuwr.org/   and go to the bottom of the page to see it.

beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
emc, thanks for posting that!  We are looking in Berkeley, but so far, no luck.  City-owned land could be a good way to go because renting wouldn't use up all their capital, as a purchase would.  A city like Oakland or Berkeley would probably not do an eviction--  the PR and fallout would be awful!
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
What about the city with the pony ride park?  I forgot which city she said that was in. But she said that property would be perfect and it hasn't been used in 20 years. Wow
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »
Earlier this year, Tilden (East Bay Regional Park) was looking for an experienced person to run the pony rides.  That would be a good place for rehab, but they would need to build a hospital.  Last time I visited, there were just some stables and a riding area.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
There was a hearing scheduled for 10 AM today at the Oakland Rent Board to determine whether or not the increase in rent was legal.  I was hoping a lawyer familiar with rent control would attend the meeting to help the wildlife center.  A little pro bono work would have been a big help.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
From the website:  posted Sunday evening, September 26:

Tonight, a call came in. A scream in the dark, and cries of pain and fright.

A baby squirrel lost his mother and met a cat instead, when he left the nest to search for her.  His cries of terror were heard by a good Samaritan who, dropped everything to find out who to call on a Sunday night, when all veterinary hospitals were closed or too busy to tell her where to go. Finally she found Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue and, at 5 minutes to ten at night, made the call and rushed this traumatized baby to me.

He is hurt. He doesnít move right. But more than, that he is just so frightened. Nothing comforts him.

He is not alone. Several days ago, a little female squirrel came in, the same age. She was starving in North Berkeley and spent days with her sibling, sitting on the ground in a playground. Her sibling didnít make it but we got her. Depressed and lethargic, she has lingered, unresponsive to food or water. Minimal interest in the grapes. A few half-hearted grunts in response to my poor attempts to comfort her.

Tonight, Scared Little Boy and Sad Little Girl meet up in their kennel. Having never met before doesnít matter.  She is Squirrel. She is home. He runs to her and buries his head under her body. She, who did not noticed when I gave her subcu fluids a moment before, lifts her head and I saw the light switch back on. Her interest flooding back. Life. Love. Feeling. She grabs him in a desperate embrace and rubbed her nose into his hair. Now there is reason to get better. Now there is hope.
Jean, California

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
Beans...what a bittersweet but wonderful story with a happy union for Scared and Sad.  It tugged at my heartstrings and am so thrilled that they have each other now.  Being once so alone, frightened and hurt, and now hope and companionship.  I pray that they will be okay and able to return to the wild when they are ready.  Thanks for sharing the story and thank goodness for the rescuers & rehabbers out there.  God bless!

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
I am just an emotional mess right now and cannot describe how this rips at my heart. I know that even though the encouraging news is told, there is still a long way to go. I hope that these two will make it through. These stories are far more than I want to think about but at least there are good people out there who care enough to make things possible.

Thank you, beans, for all that you do to provide hope.
  :heart

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
Awww what a scene, or a few scenes.  They do such a fantastic job there.  I can just picture the squirrels coming together and so happy to see another squirrel.  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline Sunny

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
Every little bit helps...How can I? How or Who do I sent a donation to for YggdrasilUrban Wildlife rescue & Education? A little confusing by the responses.
Pleaselet me know...
Sunny :heart :eclove

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
Sunny, this is the link to their website. You will find info there. http://yuwr.org/