Author Topic: Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue & Education Center (California)  (Read 20309 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue & Education Center

From the website:

The Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue (YUWR) and Education Center is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization located in Oakland, California. We are dedicated to the rehabilitation of orphaned and injured wildlife living in urban city centers and education of the public about how to live harmoniously with our cities’ wildlife. We serve the cities of Oakland, Piedmont, Berkeley, Albany, Alameda, and surrounding cities in the State of California, USA.

When an injured or orphaned wildlife mammal is found, we nurse these animals back to a healthy state where they are able to be released back into the wild. Through education to children and adults alike, we try to raise awareness of these wild residents of our cities in the hope that a better co-habitation will lead to less injuries/orphans and more enjoyment of the urban wildlife with which we share our cities.

We are a grassroots organization and are 100% volunteer-run and donation-funded!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:44:31 AM by NancyM »
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Yggdrasil Urban Wildlife Rescue & Education Center
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
The center rents its space and the landlord is leaving the rental business and has started eviction procedures.  They have found a new home, but need to raise $150,000.  Time is short:  they are supposed to vacate the property by mid-September!  What will happen to all of the hospital patients?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N552F32u7Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N552F32u7Q</a>

Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Thanks beans for posting this, I sure hope they find a place.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »
I'm glad they found another place, and owning it will prevent this from happening again.  Sure hope they can manage it.  Looks like a wonderful place, and I can't imagine having to start all over again.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
Unfortunately, they don't have $150,000 for the new place.  And very little time to raise the money.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
more from the website...

Our Mission:

To heal the sick and injured/orphaned animals brought to us and ready them for release back into our Urban Wilds.

To educate people of all ages in the wonder and enjoyment of wildlife and nature and why it is so vital we protect it.

To teach patience and compassion so that urban wildlife is viewed in a more positive light by everyone- not as pests, but as important co-habitators of our environment.
Our Name:

Yggdrasil is the name in mythology for the “World Tree”.

The legend is that the World Tree’s branches reach across the Universe. One branch supports the earth and another supports the heavens. The roots are also far-reaching; one into the Underworld, one into the land of Giants, and one into the land of Man.

At the top of the tree perches an eagle. a Snake gnaws at it’s roots. 4 stags live in it’s middle branches. And up and down its trunk travels Ratatosk, the Squirrel. Ratatosk is the errand runner and mischief-maker. He carries messages from the Earth goddess to the Sky god and from the Eagle to the Serpent at the base of the tree. By living in Yggdrasil’s branches they nourish the World Tree, and in turn, the tree nourishes them.

Without the cradling branches of the world tree the Universe would fall. Each of us support its Branches and Yggdrasil supports us all.

“Beloved, gaze in thine own heart, The holy tree is growing there” -William Butler Yeats
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
I love that they are helping urban wildlife.  I agree with their volunteer who spoke about mankind pushing the animals out of their homes, or something similar.

Have they given up on the property? There is a thermometer showing where they are in their fundraising.  How much time do they have to obtain the $150,000?  

eta:  knowing they have to move mid- Sept
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
This wildlife center has done so much work!  You can read the annual report, which is filled with stories.  There's a link on the home page of their web site.

Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
Any update for this center?
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »
I've been watching and watching.  Their total contributions is raising, but they need more help.
My donation has been sent.  I sure hope they can raise what is needed.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
During their crisis  they are open and need interns.
beth
from California

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
How would a person become an intern?  Is there a study track to search for at local colleges?
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »
Not sure re colleges. Beans will know more about that.
I was having trouble getting my message to type or I would have added this info before, sorry.
Go to their website, post 1 page 1 . Then click on latest news to see how they do it for this rehab.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
You might check with the rehab center near you to see what they require or how it is obtained.  If you go to our website:
http://www.hornbyeagles.com/  and click on Wildlife Help there are some interesting links there.  Including Rehabilitator Directory and International Wildlife Agencies.  Hope these help, and I'm sure beans will have more info on this.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
To intern at a wildlife hospital, one should contact the hospital.  Many have intern programs.  

For example, IBRRC has interns from all over the world.  There are two rooms available, with bunkbeds, and the interns usually live at the hospital while in training.  There is a kitchen and a bathroom with shower.

Lindsay has interns, too, but they don't board at the hospital (no rooms).

And this wildlife center has an intern program, but the future is uncertain.  The animals and volunteers are to be evicted this month and have no place to go.  

Jean, California