Author Topic: Nest Brigantine - eaglet Brig  (Read 97968 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest Brigantine
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »
We had been watching this eaglet because the neighbours had seen it on the beach for a long time and suspected it was unable to fly. We watched it from down the shore, west of the nest, and witnessed a nice long flight but with very little elevation gain (maybe 10 feet at the most). While we were observing, we saw an adult land in a tree just above the eaglet, and heard the Wiig eaglet screep... But then I though I heard another faint screep, from the direction of the Brigantine nest... Were there 3 eaglets then??? that certainly would explain a lack of food... So we returned to the truck to get the photo equipment and approach from a different angle, closer to the nest tree. We were just approaching the shore again when the eaglet took off and showed us another long flight, this time with better lift... but that's when we realised how far out over the water it was!

Notice in Booni's video how the parent was right there, as soon as the eaglet started to drop towards the water.

I ran to the truck to get rescue equipment. We both thought we were going for a swim.
So I missed watching that eaglet swim to shore until I saw Booni's video. Ah, technology!  :ecsmile

Just after Booni finished filming, she went to get her big camera, and I stayed on that spot, tucked behind a log. That's when the eaglet took flight again, its wings dry enough. It flew across the tiny bay you see in the foreground at the end of the video, straight towards me! and landed about 30 feet away. The whole time we were there, it didn't seem to pay much attention to us at all.

Finally, the eaglet flew again, high enough to land on a low tree branch, maybe 15 or 20 feet from the ground. Then it walked up the branch and settled itself close to the trunk. This reassured us that it would be safe, out of reach of marauding dogs.

We never did hear that other screep again. There was nobody visible on the nest tree.

The constant rattling sound you hear in the video is a newly-fledged family of kingfishers. In the first few hours of the wee kings' flight, the parents accompany them, circling over the water and carrying on with a lot of noise. That beach was full of life and beauty.

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:03 AM »
Great video  booni. Heart in  mouth  watching  that  little  fellow . Guess  learning to  fly  has its  ups  and  downs  . I was happy  to  see all was well in the  end  . Bless  you  and all of  HEART. for  being the  hornby  angels :ecsmile

Offline gzebear

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:10 AM »
booni, you are so tuned in to these eagles - can't believe the footage you got of the eaglet SWIMMING! ("hmm, what'll I do now? wonder if I can fly in water ... oh, this works ...") Love Love Love these beautiful birds .... thank you so much for sharing your talent and devotion. You're the best.

Offline maeld

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
AMAZING VIDEO!  Thank you for it!  I can not believe that baby swam to shore!  I never knew eagles/lets could swim.  And parent right there!  Not in sight till her baby needed her!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »

Winterwren, thank you so much for filling out the story with your report.

i found it FASCINATING, that the adult was right there above the eaglet, just as the eaglet hit the water.
Did the adult touch the eaglet & try to grab them???
Or were they just checking, to be sure they were okay?
wooohoooo!

Offline joyofdogs

• Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
Wow - the eagles of Hornby Island are lucky to have so many HEART angels right there.  My heart was in my mouth when the eaglet hit the water.  Must have taken a LOT out of it to swim to shore so it was good to see it dry off and then take off again.  We will wait and see if this is beauty can make it on its own or needs some assistance.  Fingers crossed. 
'Material things can't make the soul whole;
only love, trust, and a community of friends can do that.' ~ moi

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 07:40:39 AM »
That swim would help get rid of some parasites if it was infested like its sibling.  Hope the eaglet felt better afterwards!
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
Thank you Winterwren for more details. I was very happy to hear the flying part, although I did read that there is some pause that the flight was not high. I don't know what that means at all if anything.

I cannot get the sound of the parent screaming (my word) when the eaglet went into the water.

Hugs,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 08:38:42 AM »
Wow good job getting it recorded!  Eaglet went into the water first and then parent was right there. Parent extended feet towards eaglet.  Wonder if parent thought of grabbing eaglet back out of the water (looked like an attempt to me) and either missed or changed strategy.  What would those talons have done? Is it possible for parent to grab eaglet and not harm it? Doesn't seem possible to do it safely.
Will be eager to hear how the eaglet does today.
Thank you very much for recording and sharing. And for being there  :heart :eclove
beth
from California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 09:10:14 AM »
Quite the adventurous fledge week for this fella. :eceek Bet the swim helped strengthen wings & help with the parasites, the sea water is good for dog fleas too. The wildlife is lucky you guys are there. :heart

Winter & Booni did you get any pics of the Kingfisher & family :question

MystCat nice bird pics, i only see the Western Tangers in early Spring too. Here's a good thread for bird pics http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=95.0 if you want to share more. :ecsmile

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
WOW!  WOW!  WOW!  Wonderful video!  We'll all be on the edge of our seats waiting to hear how this eaglet does!!!  THANKS so much for being there and capturing this amazing adventure!

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Similar scenes are playing out all over the Pacific Northwest.  Where I live on the east coast of Vancouver Island, not far south of Hornby Island, I am listening to adults and fledglings calling to each other.  The eagles perch above our house and dive for fish but I have never seen a fledgling fly low over the water.

It is interesting how the eaglet instinctively held its wings out to dry them after it got to the beach.  The adults will do this too. 
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
From MARS FB page:

Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society - CHEK TV visited MARS today on the news at 5,6,and 10pm tonite. We thank all for their donations this will give us another month of funding. Brig and Niner are eating well thanks

:heart

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
I went to check on the Brigantine eaglet this morning... As I approached I could see a white van and a BIG dog... Dooki welcomed  me to the site.

Booni had been on the beach for a while and had not spotted the eaglet yet. We sat in the sun and waited... (we're very good at waiting!). Then Booni spotted a speck in the sky. An adult, flying waaay overhead. Obviously we weren't the only ones spotting it: the eaglet started to screep, revealing its hiding spot... not on the beach, no -- way high in a tree!  :ecsmile

Then we watched that beautiful eaglet fly even higher into another tree... And again. Fledgling flight, obviously, phlapping and phlopping, but so much stronger than last night!

Booni caught a wonderful sequence of pictures with the adult seeming to touch down briefly to the eaglet on a tree-top - delivering food? - but we couldn't see the eaglet eating anything.

We watched for a long time until we were thoroughly satisfied that this eaglet is safe for now, and getting stronger. It's only on our way out that we spotted the two fresh salmon heads... and on arrival home I found out that Doug had thoroughly scooped us... and how!

Doug's video, part one...
http://www.wildearth.tv/web/dch-hornby-01?streamId=dch-hornby-01%2F2010%2F07%2F30%2F2010-07-30-11-25_dch-hornby-01.flv&bspId=99818&start=111

Doug's video, part two!
http://www.wildearth.tv/web/dch-hornby-01?streamId=dch-hornby-01%2F2010%2F07%2F30%2F2010-07-30-11-35_dch-hornby-01.flv&bspId=99819&start=1

Offline gzebear

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
so ....  this one is Brigandan?