Author Topic: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related 2009-2010  (Read 134357 times)

Offline Thumper66

Re: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren*t Eagle Related
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Thank you, Booni, for your entertaining video of the Purple Martens.  That one was having a hay day on the weather vane.  I truly enjoy your videos and narration, and always learn so much from you. 

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
It looks as if at least one Purple Martin knows how to have fun...like a kid on a playground!   :eclol  Thank you for sharing your videos and telling about your sailing days, Booni.   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Towhee fledgling with Dad
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »

i have at least two nests of Rufous Sided Towhees in my yard.
They seem to be here year round, & they love my birdfeeder.
This year i noticed the distinctive sound the young ones make, which you can hear in this video.
i noticed this fledgling on my birdfeeder, being fed by Dad!

august 13 2010 - Rufous-Sided Towhee Dad feeding fledgling on my birdfeeder

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYksOhqbFBE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYksOhqbFBE</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »
Good for Dad Towhee.  He's a handsome bird!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #304 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
I don't think that young towhee was being fed. It looked like the behavior of an immature going after the parent to be fed but the adult is avoiding its advances. I think Dad is training it to be independant and get its own food.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
Neat video, booni!  I love the towhees, and we see them here in large numbers.  They really love digging around under the ground cover - our cotoneaster and ceanothus hedge, as well as under the broom which we are slowly replacing with other things like cotoneaster.  Their calls are very recognizable to me now that I am so much more bird aware.   :ecwink

I know you and I have discussed the kind of towhees we have here on the west coast, a couple of times.  I think the rufous-sided and spotted towhees are one and the same here?  I just read this interesting piece about identifying one:  http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/12/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_101.php

Here is Cornell's All About Birds Spotted Towhee Id:  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Spotted_Towhee/id#similar
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:53:58 PM by passerine »
   Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
Booni thanks for your fledging Towhee video. :heart I've been watching the two Towhees hatched here this season & their breasts are starting to get the rufous color but their eyes still aren't red, be interesting to see when this takes place.

Towhee's always hang out in pairs or by themselves within a certain vincinity, other than when the young hang with the parents, from my observations. Sometimes there may be four but it's unusual.

Offline maggiemoo

Re: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »
Booni, so sorry for the loss of your friend, Tempest. She seems to have been a spirited and loving person. I watched the news clip you posted and was touched by the sadness.

Offline wildkitten

Re: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related 2009-2010
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
Oh Foldi, thank you for sharing the island with us!  It looks as if you had the perfect time!!!  I so wish I could join all of the nesters this year!  How awesome to see all of that splendor in person!