Author Topic: Mac self help group  (Read 82280 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Mac self help group
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »
I would like to learn how to make greeting cards that I can post, using pictures I take and adding words.  Do any of you who use a Mac know free sites that have the instructions, software, or whatever is needed?  I can use my Flickr photos, but don't know how to add text to them.

I have the newest version of Photoshop Elements, but haven't learned how to use it yet.  Will that allow me to do what I want?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated... :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline SharonFeeney

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
Tiger I don't use photoshop on the Mac, but if it has a feature to "add a text box" that would do it for you.  I use Graphic Converter (it's free) on the Mac and one click will add a text box to your picture. 

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
Tigerlady, i don*t have a mac, but i do have flickr.
Click on the foto in flickr that you want to make into a card.
Above your foto is *add note*, * send to group*, etc.
Go to the second one from the right, the pencil *edit foto*.
This opens an application called picnik, in which you can add words & stickers & all sorts of things to turn your foto into a card.
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
Thank you, Boonibarb. I'll try that after I get back home next week.  I don't know if a Mac can use Picknik, but it will be great to try it out!   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »
On the mac in Appleworks, under starting points there is a choice of templates. Two of the choices are greeting card and post card. I haven't used either of these, but they should work for you I'd think. And then put a picture from your desktop or iphoto.

beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
On the mac in Appleworks, under starting points there is a choice of templates. Two of the choices are greeting card and post card. I haven't used either of these, but they should work for you I'd think. And then put a picture from your desktop or iphoto.

My MacBook Pro didn't come with Appleworks.  It uses iWorks now.  I'll check it out.  Thanks, emc!   :eclove

- - - - - -
Edit:  I just checked...iPhoto does have a greeting card feature.  I need to read the books I got about it and see how to use its features. 

Many thanks, emc.   :bow

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
All this talk of flickr and getting photos to forum brings up a question I have.  I have photos in iphoto.  I can crop and enhance them.  I did that today with a photo I was going to post on the forum. When I upload from flickr, i cannot go to the iphoto library (even though it is is my Picture area, it was not clickable).  Export in iphoto did not give me a direct way to my other files or to flickr.  So, I dragged the photo to my desktop and uploaded it from there to flickr.

Does anyone know of a more efficient way to get a photo (or hopefully all my photos, way too many to drag!) from iphoto to flickr or at least accessible on my Pictures area?

Thanks for you help.  Still new to putting photos on computer and online.
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
All this talk of flickr and getting photos to forum brings up a question I have.  I have photos in iphoto.  I can crop and enhance them.  I did that today with a photo I was going to post on the forum. When I upload from flickr, i cannot go to the iphoto library (even though it is is my Picture area, it was not clickable).  Export in iphoto did not give me a direct way to my other files or to flickr.  So, I dragged the photo to my desktop and uploaded it from there to flickr.

Does anyone know of a more efficient way to get a photo (or hopefully all my photos, way too many to drag!) from iphoto to flickr or at least accessible on my Pictures area?

Thanks for you help.  Still new to putting photos on computer and online.

Luv, in the past, that's the way I did it, although it's been quite awhile.  Hopefully, someone here will know a shortcut...  :puzzled2

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 12:16:26 AM »
I would like to find a good and easy-to-use greeting card software program for a Mac.  My MacBook Pro OS is 10.4.11.  I have a new copy of Photoshop Elements 8 and soon will open it and start learning how to use the features.  I'm not sure yet what it can do re greeting cards.

If there is a another good application you use and like, that is specifically for making greeting cards with a Mac, has frames and text, etc., please let me know.  If there is a program on a site that is free, that would be nice, but I will buy one if it does what I want.

I would like to be able to make and post things like birthday cards, holiday greetings, etc. on the forum, using my photos and/or public domain pictures.     :eclove

I looked at a software review site and also at Amazon.com...the one program that was recommended on the review site unfortunately received many bad reviews by customers at Amazon.com.   It was supposed to do many things but apparently the latest version is a big disappointment.  I wish that developers would make more software for Macs.  I love mine!

Offline callsharon

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
I keep discovering new information.  Who knew I'd find a Mac forum while I waited for Pa and Ma Hornby to settle for the night!  I've learned as much about grabbing photos as I have about brooding patches and all the rest.  Thank you all!

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Glad to have another "Maccie" in the group, callsharon.  And welcome to the forum as well.  :biggrin3
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
Appleworks and iworks are the same thing, depending on the version you have.

We need a new tutorial for photobucket. I thought the one we had here in the forum worked for us mac users, but it's been updated, and no longer fits our use.  I'll get to work on that. Look for it in the tech help index.

Keep looking for new software out.  

To put a picture into iphoto, you have to have it on your desktop.  Can't even be moved from the pictures list, at least in my version.  So move to desktop. Import to iphoto, work on it. Export to desktop, or there is an email option for export too.  But for other uses, export to desktop, and then to other hosting site, flicker, photobucket, etc. and then post here, or whereever. It's a lot of steps if you want to enhance, change a photo.  

I have iphoto 8 .
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
When you want to export photos from iphoto you can highlight as many in sequence as you wish, even the whole album to export at once. 

You can also import  similarly in sequence from your desktop. For this, you would click the first pic, shift, and click the last one to highlight them all. This works in photobucket also to download a group.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »
We have discussed the zoom feature some here. Thought it might be a good idea to go into detail for anyone new.

If are using Firefox

Go to View
Drop down menu, Zoom
choices Zoom in, Zoom out, Zoom text only.

Zoom in -out changes the whole page, larger-smaller.  Zoom text only enlarges the written word on the page. (there are times when this won't work, it has to do with the coding of the web page youare looking at.)

There is also FullScreen under View
If you use it and can't figure out how to get out of it, go to the top right corner to find arrows and click there. lol

There is also another option.

Go to Window
drop down menu
Zoom
enlarges the whole page
minimize puts the page on the tool bar below (what is that called??  lol )

I have found that if I am using email, I can enlarge and bold the print using
Format
drop down menu
style
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:23 PM »
I notice tonight that Tools and View have Options for Adblock Preferences now. 

View
Adblock Plus: blockable items
shows what can be blocked on that page

Tools
Adblock Plus Preferences
you can block or unblock individual sites from ads

Example: To view a site that you have to have adblock turned off/disabled ie: WildEarth.tv
Tools
Adblock Plus Preferences
Filter
Add Filter
Type in url or copy/paste
Check the enable box to the right (if it isn't already when entered)
Click OK at bottom of page

Ones that we know need ad blocker off to be able to view the cam:

http://www.wildearth.tv/
http://www.wildearth.tv/cam/hornby_eagles
http://www.hornbyeagles.com/chatpage.htm

beth
from California