Author Topic: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm  (Read 20095 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
Tigerlady: Ajl already asked me a stumper of a question... "Which of the other island eagles sound closest to Mom and Dad Hornby?" -- And I think her background thinking was exactly as you say, that eaglets learn their language from their parents, and that, given Mom and Dad Hornby's age, it's probable that some of their offspring have nests elsewhere on the island...

...So now I really, really have to learn to listen!... And yes, taking audio-video clips is starting to make a lot of sense.

Wren, it would be very interesting if you and Booni can find other eagles who sound like Mom and Dad Hornby, compared to other Hornby Island eagles!   :nod2

:heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
I have noticed how distinct Ma and Pa Hornby's vocalizations are. Since there is a three hour time difference I am always able to listen to them at daybreak nest time. Pa first calls from afar when Ma has spent the the night nest sitting. The calls and cahunkas are so mellow and when he arrives on the nest it reminds me of an ald married couple asking each other how their night was. Being a little long in the tooth myself I can fully understand Pa asking his beloved Ma if her joints are sore and if she is hungry. My husband often calls this the Sweedish chatter. We often go on and on about what they must be saying.

Later in the day and particularly if there is a threat their calls can be quite harsh. Of the nests i Have observed the Hornby's have been the most vocal. It could be because they are older? or more attuned to each other?

Offline AJL

• HEGPS
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 12:42:56 AM »
I have noticed how distinct Ma and Pa Hornby's vocalizations are. Since there is a three hour time difference I am always able to listen to them at daybreak nest time. Pa first calls from afar when Ma has spent the the night nest sitting. The calls and cahunkas are so mellow and when he arrives on the nest it reminds me of an ald married couple asking each other how their night was. Being a little long in the tooth myself I can fully understand Pa asking his beloved Ma if her joints are sore and if she is hungry. My husband often calls this the Sweedish chatter. We often go on and on about what they must be saying.

Later in the day and particularly if there is a threat their calls can be quite harsh. Of the nests i Have observed the Hornby's have been the most vocal. It could be because they are older? or more attuned to each other?

Their favourite perching trees and fishing areas are not all that far from the nest; I feel that the excellent quality and placement of the microphone allows us to hear more both when they are on the nest and around the territory, than can be heard at other nests. When they are on the nest, the microphone allows us to hear nuances in their vocalizations that are not possible to hear on other webcams. We can even hear them void droppings.  :eclol

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.  ~Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »
Welcome Blue Eyes to the forum.  Thank you for your input. Really interesting, I like how you and your husband describe it.  :eclove  I also love hearing their soft chatter to each other.  (although I am not up when the sun comes up. lol)
beth
from California

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
Welcome, Blue Eyes.

Most birds make different sounds at different times of the year. You wouldn't recognize a Towhee, for instance, when it makes the familiar unpleasant sqawking sound from the pretty tune it sings earlier in the year. To identify birds by sounds means knowing the very different calls they make.
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for your information on the vocalization of the birds.  I truly had no idea they sounded differently due to the variety of reasons you laid out.  I'm really going to have to listen from now on.  I enjoyed all of your stories.  Thanks you.