Author Topic: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm  (Read 18250 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest # 6, 7 Savoie Farm
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

This is the little fella that was chip-chipping at me the whole time.
i think he figured i was just too darned close to his territory!  :heart

july 25 2010 14:31 - Male White-Crowned Sparrow near Nest # 6/7

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9OTLITYHUM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9OTLITYHUM</a>
wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Cute little fella, guarding his nest!   :ecsmile
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Oooh, so nice to see new videos now; I miss the eagles!

Listen to the adult calling on the second video Booni posted today. The one that says 14:03. At about the 14-second point, one of the parents is clearly heard. Doesn't it sound different? That's what I meant when I said they had an accent. The initial whistles are a bit different, then the trill, which, among the local eagles, is usually all descending notes, has about 3 notes that are the same, then it rises, then descends.

I like the look of the eaglet in the last video... He's got the wind at his back, and it ruffles his neck and head feathers, making him look like he has a crest.

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
You are right, Wren.  It is so nice to see eagles again and yes, they do sound different from Mom and Dad Hornby.  Mom and Dad are up there in years; do you think that age could make a difference in the tones? 

Anyway, thank you Booni.  It's so heavenly to see the eagles again.  Can't wait for the return to their nests.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »

i must say, Thumper, that i am grinning from ear to ear seeing these eagles again too!
i am forced to sit down & examine my collection of fotos by the fact that i have to come up with a collection of fotos to enter into my Co op foto show!
So i am going thru all the albums of fotos that i haven*t had a chance to look at yet.
i*ll be going along & just see the corner of a wing feather & know right away that THIS IS AN EAGLET!!!
& the videos are a treat.
The next best thing to seeing them live.
i*ve already forgotten the fotos & videos i*ve taken, so each one is a great surprise!
Glad you are all enjoying the videos, in this dearth time of eagles, which will be ending soon!
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
  (...) yes, they do sound different from Mom and Dad Hornby.  Mom and Dad are up there in years; do you think that age could make a difference in the tones? 

Actually, Thumper, I'm talking about a regional accent, not individual variations due to health or age. The eagles each have individual voices, but all the adult eagles of Hornby Island sound similar to my ear. The Denman Island birds sound a bit different at times. But this eagle, the adult on Booni's video, sounds waayyy different to me. It reminds me of a video someone posted months ago on the chat - I think it was about the Channel Island eagles. Their calls sounded completely different - different pitch, different rhythm - while still being unmistakably eagle calls.

Cali said it best when I first mentioned that eagle: "Cachunk, cachunk, y'all!"

8) Wren

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Different accents/dialects learned from a different neighborhood?  That's interesting, Wren.  I remember seeing something about that here in the forum at the time it was first brought up...probably by you or Booni   :eclove

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »
Thank you Wren.  I had no idea that each eagle had it's own sound.  And to have different "accents" is amazing.  But, why should they differ from the humans in that respect?    Good to know.

Now...got a question, what about crows :question  To me, they all sound alike...caw, caw, caw.  But, I must admit, I haven't truly been listening until I joined this site.  Every bird I hear now gets my attention. 

Offline maggiemoo

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
Thumper, I have lots of crows nesting near my home in the spring and they have a really varied vocabulary.  When I first started listening to them, I wasn't sure what I was hearing. Some of it was really soft and different, especially around egg laying time. Bluejays also have a lot of wonderful "words".  :eclove

Offline Thumper66

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »
Thanks, Maggiemoo.  Again, I had no idea they sounded differently.  I am going to have to be on my toes and listen carefully from now on.  I appreciate your response.

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »
If the eagles have accents, surely some one has done a paper or write up on it? I wonder if the Scottish Golden eagles have a strong Glaswegian accent or the softer Edinburgh  :eclol

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »
We need recordings so that we can compare their accents!   :ecsmile   I believe that I read somewhere that birds of the same species learn their songs from listening to their parents and other similar birds.  We'll have to ask Ajl about it...

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »
Yes, and I love how the babies "practice" in the spring.  We can hear them doing their "baby talk" repetitively til they get it right! :eclol
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
Tigerlady: Ajl already asked me a stumper of a question... "Which of the other island eagles sound closest to Mom and Dad Hornby?" -- And I think her background thinking was exactly as you say, that eaglets learn their language from their parents, and that, given Mom and Dad Hornby's age, it's probable that some of their offspring have nests elsewhere on the island.

So now I really, really have to learn to listen!... And yes, taking audio-video clips is starting to make a lot of sense.

Maria: The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior (p. 125) mentions that Arctic Loons in Europe have recognizable individual calls. Why specifically Europe? I suspect that , quite simply, this is where the birds have been studied most intensively. I think it's likely that many birds have individual calls, and conceivably regional accents since the young imitate their parents, but nobody has sat down long enough to analyse the similarities and differences.

Let's open our ears!  :biggergrin2

Offline Maria dB

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 04:43:46 PM »
  :eclol Thanks Wren. iIwill see if my local library can get it for me if I can' find in on line.